Nicknames for Oslo

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] is coming soon. And I think we’ve settled on [name_m]Oslo[/name_m] as his name. But i’m Curious what nicknames are out there for [name_m]Oslo[/name_m]. The obvious one is [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]. But we already have a son [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] who goes by [name_u]Ollie[/name_u], and i’m Wondering if [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is too close to that. What less obvious nicknames are there?

I think you could get away with [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]

[name_m]Oz[/name_m] might work -its instinctive but it has a different end to [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]

Lo, O, Lol, [name_m]Sol[/name_m] or [name_m]Solly[/name_m] maybe

[name_m]Oslo[/name_m] is a super cool name! I think [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] would be quite cute matching nicknames while their full names are distinct. I like all of the above suggestions, particularly [name_m]Oz[/name_m] and Lo. [name_f]LoLo[/name_f], Loie, and [name_m]Zo[/name_m] would work. You could also consider tying in the middle name or initial as part of the nickname.

Great name!
Other then the nn’s given, I can only think of [name_m]Loy[/name_m]… I think [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] could work.

[name_m]Onslow[/name_m] could be a full name to [name_m]Oslo[/name_m], using [name_m]Oslo[/name_m] for a nn?

The only one I can think of on my own is [name_m]Oz[/name_m]. After looking at the other replies, I think Lo, or Loey would be nice too.

[name_m]Oslo[/name_m] is a great name! I agree [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] are quite similar but it’s not necessarily a deal breaker. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] itself? I sense it might not be the style you’re drawn to. It has quite a different feel to [name_u]Ollie[/name_u].

His nickname can really be anything you like. It’s a name you’ll use affectionately amongst the family so I don’t think it needs to be an obvious connection to his full name. I think sharing one of two sounds or letters from [name_m]Oslo[/name_m] is enough to ground it. I’d suggest [name_m]Sid[/name_m], [name_u]Sal[/name_u], [name_u]Lou[/name_u], [name_m]Louie[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_u]Les[/name_u], [name_m]Moe[/name_m], [name_u]Bo[/name_u], [name_m]Bowie[/name_m], [name_f]Snow[/name_f], [name_u]Cruz[/name_u], [name_m]Zeus[/name_m], [name_m]Zeke[/name_m], [name_m]Zero[/name_m] and [name_u]Zuri[/name_u].

I think [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] and [name_m]Sid[/name_m], [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] and [name_u]Bo[/name_u], [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] and [name_m]Zeke[/name_m], [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] and [name_u]Zuri[/name_u] sound great together. Does anything stand out for you?

[name_m]Oslo[/name_m] makes for a nice name – it fits in well with the popular place-name & -o ending trends, but also isn’t so common, so stands out nicely. I’m curious too: does [name_m]Oslo[/name_m]'s link to Norway mean something to you, or is it just a name you like?

Re: nickname. I think in order to make them less match-y just drop the repeated -ie – [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] & [name_m]Oz[/name_m] would work well as sibling nicknames, and [name_m]Oz[/name_m] would be my favourite nickname for [name_m]Oslo[/name_m] in general.

We picked [name_m]Oslo[/name_m] for its meaning, which is “meadow beneath the ridge”. We’d been searching for a nature name, but wanted one that meant something to us. “[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] beneath the ridge” is a perfect description of the area where we live. After we chose the name we discovered that we do have ancestors from near [name_m]Oslo[/name_m], but that was just a cool after-the-fact discovery, not the reason for the name choice.

I like [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]. And I feel like [name_m]Oz[/name_m] and [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] are the two most natural nicknames, so they’ll happen regardless, unless we make a conscious effort to persuade people otherwise. I just don’t want my [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] (who goes by [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] almost always) to feel like he got cloned or something. I don’t know, he might not even care, or in the end he might grow up preferring [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], who knows. Naming is tricky:)

We have considered not choosing a nickname for [name_m]Oslo[/name_m] and just seeing what comes about. Because like you said, the nickname could end up being something completely unrelated, or not so obviously related, to his name. I really like a lot of your suggestions. [name_m]Leo[/name_m] particularly, since it was another name we considered. (The ‘O’ ending goes so well with our surname) And [name_f]Snow[/name_f], just because it’s different. I like the Lo suggestion from other commenters. And I came up with Solo because I think it’s cute, but then wondered if it sounded too [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars-ie.

I actually love [name_u]Sully[/name_u] as a nn. We considered [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] in fact, but got stuck on [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] and [name_u]Sully[/name_u] sounding so similar. Haha, so what did we do? Moved on to [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]. :joy: (we also have another son named [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], so [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] struck out twice. It’s a great name though.)

That’s a good suggestion. His middle will start with R. So maybe [name_f]Roz[/name_f]/[name_f]Ros[/name_f]?