Nicknames

If my first child goes by a nickname: [name]Elinor[/name] ([name]Ellie[/name]) does the next child need a name with a nickname too?

I do not think so. It might be different if her full name were [name]Ellie[/name] and then you might want to stay with a similarly relaxed, nickname-y type name for future children. But just because she has a nickname doesn’t mean others must, imo.

I don’t think it matters because most people end up with a nick name at least used by a few people some of the time, whether it is directly related to their given name or not. I have a “nickname” name already and still it has been shortened or lengthened to create nick names over the years. If anything, I would be more concerned that siblings not have names or nicknames that are very similar in sound. [name]Ellie[/name] & [name]Nellie[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name] & [name]Ella[/name] for example.

I don’t think it’s completley necessary…

No, I don’t think so.
My name is [name]Rachel[/name], and while I’m occasionally called Rach, I’m just called by full name. My little brother’s name is [name]Jacob[/name], but he’s always been called [name]Jake[/name].
I don’t think you need a nickname for your second child just because your first child has one. It doesn’t need to be a priority while looking for another name, if you love a name that has a good nickname, then that’s just an added bonus :slight_smile: