Nicknames

What do you think about nicknames?

Personally, I [name]LOVE[/name] nicknames. I think it is mostly because my name is [name]Leah[/name] [name]Kaye[/name], and there really isn’t an option for a nickname with that. I was called [name]Leah[/name] or [name]Leah[/name] [name]Kaye[/name] if my mom was mad.

Anyway, I really like nicknames that aren’t immediately associated with the formal name. My favorite nn for my daughter, [name]Grace[/name] [name]Patricia[/name], is [name]Patsy[/name]. People usually go to [name]Gracie[/name], [name]Gray[/name], [name]Pat[/name], and [name]Patty[/name], but I love calling her [name]Patsy[/name]. We’re also thinking of [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] for another daughter (not pregnant or trying, but thinking about it) with the nn’s [name]Evie[/name], [name]Vanna[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] and [name]Lina[/name]; [name]Arlie[/name], [name]Lettie[/name] and [name]Carlo[/name]. My aunt’s name was [name]Margaret[/name], but she was always known as [name]Peg[/name] or [name]Peggy[/name]. I didn’t even know her real name until she died, when I was about ten. I was confused that [name]Peggy[/name] came from [name]Margaret[/name], but I love how different it is.

[name]Do[/name] you think that nicknames should come directly from the name, or do you like nicknames that are a bit different?

I don’t think they have to come directly from names, though of course plenty can naturally come up from a name. One thing about nicknames I always get a kick out of is when the nn is actually longer than the name. (f/e, [name]George[/name] to [name]Georgie[/name]) I love nn though, they give a child a lot of room to express themselves and options to change as they get older

I love nicknames, too. My favorites are [name]Mattie[/name], [name]Tallie[/name], [name]Annie[/name], [name]Dot[/name], [name]Hattie[/name], [name]Nellie[/name], Fliss. So cute! :slight_smile: It is also nice when nns come about naturally though.

I think nicknames are fun, and sometimes they aren’t related to the first name at all. I know a [name]Meghan[/name] that goes by “[name]Poppy[/name]” and a little [name]Sarah[/name] that goes by “[name]Daisy[/name]”…sometimes I don’t understand the connection, but I’m sure there are reasons behind it.