Nina or Iona?

Currently 37 weeks pregnant! Which one is better? A couple of people have said [name_f]Iona[/name_f] is a bit of a mouthful or don’t know how to pronounce it. Three people thought it was pronounced ’loner’!! It’s pronounced Eye Oh Na. I like both but maybe [name_f]Nina[/name_f] more because it is short and sweet. Husband prefers [name_f]Iona[/name_f]. our surname works well with both names. Thank you.

I think [name_f]Nina[/name_f] would be the easier option, since it avoids any pronunciation issues. That being said, if you and your hubby like [name_f]Iona[/name_f] more, I’d go for it!

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Nina[/name_f], so cute! I don’t know if you’ve considered [name_f]Ione[/name_f] (eye-oh-nee) but I love it!

I’m going to say go with [name_f]Nina[/name_f], because you love it more, but I really want to say…

IONAAAA!!!

I love it! You’re so lucky your surname works with it, mine’s far too wordy :cry:

[name_f]Nina[/name_f] is stunning too, however. Chic and simple and timeless and super international. You have great taste!

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Nina[/name_f] better, it’s so pretty!

1 Like

Personally I love [name_f]Iona[/name_f], but [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is familiar and straightforward, in addition to being lovely, so if having to correct or teach people how to pronounce [name_f]Iona[/name_f] is already becoming grating then [name_f]Nina[/name_f] may be better for your sanity.

I like [name_f]Nina[/name_f] a lot better, I think it’s sweeter and can see it growing with somebody very well. [name_f]Iona[/name_f] I find a bit of a mouthful and I think it suits children better than adults. I also know a lot of Ionas (at least 8) and only one [name_f]Nina[/name_f] - although I’m not sure if that bothers you! I’m in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] too so it’s maybe more common here :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Nina[/name_f]!

Both of these are gorgeous but I admit i lean slightly to the cute and funky [name_f]Nina[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Nina[/name_f], it’s sweet and feisty at the same time, plus it’s easier if you’re worried about spelling or pronunciation issues

I like them both! I think I slightly prefer [name_f]Nina[/name_f].

Both are beautiful, but I personally prefer [name_f]Iona[/name_f]. I find it surprising people are having a hard time knowing how to pronounce it as the pronunciation seems pretty straight forward.

Both are great, but I favor [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. I love that it’s so simple and straightforward, yet so versatile. It’s super cute on a baby and strong on a grown woman. I can see [name_f]Nina[/name_f] being anything from a boho artist to a CEO in a boardroom. I also love that it works well in many different languages.

[name_f]Iona[/name_f] is also great, but I think of the college, or the name [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. Either way, it just kinda feels incomplete and confusing somehow.

I really like [name_f]Iona[/name_f] but I did actually think that was an L and that it said loner at first! I do prefer [name_f]Iona[/name_f] to [name_f]Nina[/name_f] though! X

I prefer [name_f]Iona[/name_f], it’s very unexpected.

I prefer [name_f]Ione[/name_f] but [name_f]Iona[/name_f] is so pretty and unique too. :heart_eyes: [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is really cute too though!

I prefer [name_f]Nina[/name_f].
I also prefer [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] to [name_f]Iona[/name_f].

[name_f]Nina[/name_f] is stunning! - Fresh, melodic, feminine, sweet and international. :green_heart::purple_heart::blue_heart:

I am going a bit against the grain and voting [name_f]Iona[/name_f]. I actually know a little [name_f]Iona[/name_f] in person and she is the sweetest little girl. Her name is beautiful and once people know it, it’s not that difficult :slight_smile:

I love, love, love, love [name_f]Iona[/name_f]! The nickname [name_f]Io[/name_f] is also adorable. Fun fact: [name_f]Io[/name_f] is one of [name_m]Jupiter[/name_m]’s moons.