NN Penny- what full name apart from Penelope??

Does anyone know of any names that could give the nickname [name]Penny[/name] apart from Penenlope? Would [name]Penny[/name] be ok on its own?

I am really struggling with girl’s names. I also like [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Romilly[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Piper[/name], [name]Saskia[/name] and [name]Coco[/name] but none of these feel quite right.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

[name]Aspen[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
Despina
[name]Esperanza[/name]
[name]Patience[/name]
[name]Parthena[/name]
[name]Parthenope[/name]
[name]Parthenia[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Seraphine[/name]

I love [name]Penny[/name], but I personally don’t think it stands so well on its own. I love [name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Penny[/name]. I also like [name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name].

I think [name]Penny[/name] is nice and I would never use [name]Penelope[/name] so why not give your child the name you love most instead of searching for a compromise that you don’t love as much?

My mom loves the african name PENDA. I think it looks a lot like panda, but it’s still cute in it’s own way.
I love [name]Temperance[/name], and I feel like [name]Penny[/name] could come out of that.
There are also created names like [name]PENLEY[/name], PENLYNN.
Or the name [name]PENINA[/name]. (Pah-NEE-na) There is a famous bridal designer named [name]PNINA[/name] Tornai, who pronounces it this way, but I’ve seen it spelled both.
If your a fan of thearte, a tragic heroine in [name]Les[/name] Miserables is named EPONINE. Since [name]Cosette[/name] is getting so much exposure, why not this name?
We, too, struggled with the [name]Penny[/name] debate. I’ve never liked [name]Penelope[/name], but I love [name]Penny[/name].

This is kind of out there, but if a name has the word “cent” in it, then [name]Penny[/name] could be a nn for it. [name]Penny[/name] and cent have the same meaning.
So what about [name]Millicent[/name]. Of course, if you don’t like [name]Penelope[/name], you probably don’t like [name]Millicent[/name] either. I love both [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Millicent[/name]!

Oh what great suggestions, thanks! [name]Aspen[/name], [name]Seraphina[/name], [name]Delphine[/name] and Penda are all fantastic! I like the clever thinking behind the ‘cent’ suggestion but we are in the UK where [name]Penny[/name] just means a penny! Having thought about it I am tempted to just use [name]Penny[/name] as a stand alone name but its really nice to have other options. Thanks again :slight_smile:

I think [name]Penny[/name] could work as a stand alone name.

I once met a girl named [name]Penny[/name]-[name]Lane[/name]. Not sure if I’d use that myself, but [name]Penny[/name] would certainly work as part of a double name or a hyphenated name.

I really like the suggestion of [name]Aspen[/name]. Penda just reminds me of Panda.

There’s also [name]Penina[/name], but that name sounds like penicillin to me.

One idea that I have–though it’s a unisex name, which you might not like–is [name]Spenser[/name]. I can definitely see a [name]Spenser[/name] being called [name]Penny[/name].

My [name]Doctor[/name] calls herself [name]Penny[/name] - not sure if it is short for [name]Penelope[/name] in her case (I think it may be) but goes to show you can have it on its own.

This is my standard for naming my children, if it sounds ok when you attach Dr to it, then its good and here you have a Dr. [name]Penny[/name] O__
Go for it!!!

I personally do not think [name]Penny[/name] is a stand-alone name. It sounds at best young and cute, and I don’t think it ages very well.

I love the suggestion of Eponine nn [name]Penny[/name]!

Here is a list of P- names I made previously:

[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Pacifica[/name]
[name]Padma[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Padget[/name]
[name]Padrika[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Patricia[/name]
[name]Patsy[/name]
[name]Pansy[/name]
[name]Patience[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Philomena[/name]
[name]Paula[/name]
[name]Paulette[/name]
[name]Pauline[/name]
[name]Phyllis[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Portia[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name]

Good luck!

I like [name]Penny[/name] I think it is a charming name and seeing as she will get her nn all of her life why name her [name]Penelope[/name]?

I see no charm in [name]Penelope[/name].

If we can go wild for [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name] and [name]Molly[/name] why not [name]Penny[/name]?