Non-obvious sci-fi character names? (plus a ship, a planet + a cat!)

So I’m looking for names for characters in a YA-vibe sci-fi story with an LGBT love story at its heart. The name of my MC is set, but the others aren’t. I want the names to feel at home in a sci-fi story but not be too obviously sci-fi if that makes sense. I also need help naming the ship they live on, the MC’s cat, and some planet names!

Ths story is based around my MC who is called [name_m]Kipling[/name_m] "[name_m]Kip[/name_m]’ Kasteel. [name_m]Kip[/name_m], better known as [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Kipling[/name_m] on his home planet, he was the eldest son of [name_m]King[/name_m] Kasteel, and first in line to inherit the throne. Different from his parents and other siblings, [name_m]Kip[/name_m] was sensitive and introspective, preferring to read books, spend time in nature, and befriend the children of his servants. When he was fourteen, [name_m]Kip[/name_m] befriended a local boy and was caught kissing him in one of the palaces out-houses. Since homosexuality is illegal (and punishable by death), the [name_m]King[/name_m] has [name_m]Kip[/name_m] exiled to the other side of the galaxy with nothing but a bag of rubies. Here he is entirely unknown and alone, but eventually finds work on a cargo ship where he meets the people who will become his new family.

1. [name_m]Kip[/name_m]'s home planet
I need a good name for this planet. It is a small one on the outer-rim, not very well-known due to it being mostly self-sufficient. It is luscious and green and healthy, with all resources anyone could need. But the monarchy there ([name_m]Kip[/name_m]'s family) have ruled for millennia. There is no democracy, and the culture is rooted deeply in tradition and the patriarchy. Homosexuality is illegal, punishable by death. Women are owned by their husbands and take on traditional roles.
Name ideas: I was thinking Andros (the Greek prefix meaning male, man, or masculine), but I’d love some other ideas. A good meaning/ironic meaning would be my preference.

2. The ship
The ship [name_m]Kip[/name_m] lives and works on is a cargo ship, meaning its main job is to transport goods from one planet to another. [name_m]Kip[/name_m] works as an apprentice mechanic (since he has an affinity for fixing things - people and things). The captain tends to take on what she calls ‘a crew of strays’, and likes to take people in who need to the work rather than the ones who are necessarily the best.
Name ideas: I was thinking [name_f]Liberty[/name_f], but is that too on-the-nose? I’d quite like it to be a two-name ship, like [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Any other suggestions welcome, I am not sold on [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as it doesn’t have much meaning.

3. [name_m]Captain[/name_m] of the ship
Female, early 30’s, black. Incredibly strong woman. Comes across as cold and abrupt to begin with but cares deeply about people. Does what needs to be done to get the job done. Tends to take on crew members who need the job rather than the best people. Considers the crew her family but won’t take shit from anyone.
Name ideas: [name_f]Zora[/name_f] or [name_u]Lux[/name_u] are my only thoughts so far. Something short and spunky would be good.

4. [name_m]Kip[/name_m]'s best friend 1
Male, early 20’s, white, athletic build. Hired mostly as muscle. He takes an interest in [name_m]Kip[/name_m] because he is so quiet and mysterious. Makes it his mission to befriend him. They have a very brotherly relationship since they are so different. They bicker a lot and wind each other up.
Name ideas: I’m not sure, but I would like something that sounds jocky. But… space-jocky?

5. [name_m]Kip[/name_m]'s best friend 2
Female, early 20’s, mixed-race/ethnically ambiguous. Works as the cook on the [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Initially, [name_m]Kip[/name_m] mistakes her as a submissive woman but soon realizes how wrong he was. She sees [name_m]Kip[/name_m] as a younger brother.
Name ideas: I want this characer to have a name that’s traditionally used for boys almost always. Not something like [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] or [name_u]Reese[/name_u] which can sometimes be used for a girl, but a name that is almost never used for a girl but could be pulled off in a sci-fi world. Any suggestions? I was thinking [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_u]Jude[/name_u] or [name_u]Toby[/name_u]? Although they all feel like a bit of a copout as I can think of feminine longer names that would have these as nicknames.

6. [name_m]Kip[/name_m]'s love interest
Male, 18. Although assumed dead by [name_m]Kip[/name_m] he managed to escape before he received any punishment for their involvement.
Name ideas: [name_f]My[/name_f] initial thought is [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] or [name_m]Lorenzo[/name_m], or something romantic-sounding.

7. [name_m]Kip[/name_m]'s cat
Yep. [name_m]Kip[/name_m] has a pet cat that he rescues on a job and loves more than anything. The cat has grey fur that looks blue in some lights, and follows [name_m]Kip[/name_m] around everywhere.
Name ideas: I’m not set on a gender or a name so would welcome any thoughts.

I personally thought of the name [name_u]Free[/name_u] Flier for the ship and the cat being a star name. [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Astra[/name_f] and [name_u]Seren[/name_u] (are my personal favorite star names that I found)

Andros seems perfect!

Others options:

Virfortis (“strong man”- Latin)

Commoratio (“homestead”- Latin)

Viritinere (“man’s journey”- Latin)

Kyver (“kyvernítis” is ruler in Greek, referencing both the king and the husband-wife dynamic)

Dynami (“strength”- Greek)

Brave [name_f]Endeavor[/name_f]

Wide World

Weary [name_u]Traveler[/name_u]

Wandering [name_m]Man[/name_m]

Lost [name_f]Soul[/name_f]

Zeta, [name_f]Bruna[/name_f], [name_u]Zia[/name_u], [name_f]Aya[/name_f], or [name_f]Tia[/name_f]

Onyx, [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_u]Sterling[/name_u], [name_m]Torin[/name_m], or [name_m]Orson[/name_m]

Max, [name_u]Toby[/name_u], [name_u]Lex[/name_u], [name_m]Ender[/name_m], or [name_m]Brigham[/name_m]

Valentino, [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Giovanni[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Emiliano[/name_m]

Male: [name_m]Giorgio[/name_m], Stardust “[name_u]Dusty[/name_u]”, [name_m]Dewey[/name_m], [name_m]Randolph[/name_m], [name_m]Tripp[/name_m]

Female: [name_f]Moon[/name_f], [name_u]Nova[/name_u], [name_f]Star[/name_f], Livi, [name_u]Hartley[/name_u]

1 Like

Planet: I love Andros! I was also thinking [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] might fit?

Ship: Again, I love [name_f]Liberty[/name_f]. A good idea might be to name the ship after a famous person in your world. Otherwise, how about [name_u]Haven[/name_u], [name_u]Infinity[/name_u], Stardust?

Captain: I LOVE [name_f]Zora[/name_f] and [name_u]Lux[/name_u]! I’m seeing her more as a [name_f]Zora[/name_f]. I see [name_u]Lux[/name_u] as more of an alien [name_f]Princess[/name_f].
Other suggestions:
[name_f]Zofia[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Kara[/name_f]
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_f]Valla[/name_f]
[name_f]Sheena[/name_f]
[name_f]Leda[/name_f]
[name_f]Leto[/name_f]
[name_u]Maven[/name_u]
[name_f]Hera[/name_f]
[name_f]Xyla[/name_f]
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]
[name_f]Aya[/name_f]
[name_f]Suren[/name_f]
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]

Kip’s best friend 1:
[name_m]Zade[/name_m]
[name_m]Zayne[/name_m]
[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]
[name_m]Dax[/name_m]
[name_m]Quade[/name_m]
[name_m]Quillon[/name_m]
[name_u]Chase[/name_u]
[name_u]Chance[/name_u]
[name_u]Cade[/name_u]
[name_m]Drake[/name_m]
[name_m]Lars[/name_m]

Best friend 2:
[name_u]Mercury[/name_u]
[name_u]Dale[/name_u]
[name_m]Viridian[/name_m]
[name_m]Dion[/name_m]
[name_m]Phelan[/name_m]
[name_m]Valerian[/name_m]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_u]Cato[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]

Love Interest:
[name_m]Laurus[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Leander[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassander[/name_m]
Auron
[name_m]Astrophel[/name_m]
[name_m]Phelan[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]

Cat:
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_f]Sia[/name_f]
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
Argent(a)
[name_f]Clio[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u] ‘Nippy’
[name_f]Moon[/name_f]
[name_f]Star[/name_f]
[name_u]Nova[/name_u]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you these have been really helpful! I love the suggestion of [name_u]Dusty[/name_u] for the cat. I also like [name_u]Orion[/name_u] for number 4!

Ahh I love some of these, thank you! Again, [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]/Nippy is sooo cute for the cat! Maybe I’ll give him two, [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and Stardust… [name_u]Dusty[/name_u] and Nippy!

I think [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] is a really great option for his love interest. It just jumped out at me from the list. And I really like [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] for the male best friend but I think maybe a bit too close to [name_f]Zora[/name_f] which I agree seems to just fit.

2 Likes

Planet:
Methicsyra is a pretty obvious choice. It’s just [name_f]Themyscira[/name_f] with the letters fucked around with.

Ship:
Eleutheria (the personification of liberty in Greek mythology)

Captain:
[name_f]Zora[/name_f] fits her perfectly. If I had to suggest another name, I’d go for [name_f]Hera[/name_f] or something like that.

Best [name_u]Friend[/name_u] 1:
Aithan
Jerrik
[name_u]Karsten[/name_u]
Xenon
[name_m]Zev[/name_m]

Best [name_u]Friend[/name_u] 2:
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Ira[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Lex[/name_u]
[name_m]Teague[/name_m]

Love Interest:
The names you chose would work pretty well, but have some more!
[name_m]Basilio[/name_m]
[name_m]Cosimo[/name_m]
[name_m]Endymion[/name_m]
[name_m]Lisandro[/name_m]
Romaric
[name_m]Seraphim[/name_m]

I like the way you’re thinking giving him two cats, Stardust and [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]. I don’t think I could top that.