Normal or Unusual spellings?

Which one do you prefer?

Normal!

Definitely normal spellings! Unusual or creative spellings really irk me and send creepy crawlies up my back. LOL

Normal! I don’t see the point in taking a regular name and misspelling it to make it unusual. The kid will just have to constantly correct spelling for others or correct mispronunciations. My name is not pronounced how it is spelled - it doesn’t look like an unusual spelling, just a different name (my mother just won’t accept the proper spelling), so I have lived through this my entire life – I’ve learned to answer to either pronunciation.

I agree…normal. While [name]TINY[/name] spelling changes don’t bother me (ie - [name]Erica[/name], [name]Erika[/name] or MAYBE even [name]Ericka[/name]) the complete overhaul of a name just irritates me. I feel like it makes YOU look unintelligent and some of the yooneek spellings give the name a “trashy” vibe to me. I really don’t like it when the name doesn’t even look like it would be pronounced the same way. Then you’re really saddling your child with a lifetime of correcting everyone. Y’s always seem to get to people…that one I don’t like.
Nycole or Elyzabeth just do NOT work for me.

This.

I’ve come across variations I like - my friend’s sister is [name]Loryn[/name], for example, and I know a [name]Liane[/name] instead of a [name]Lee[/name]-[name]Anne[/name], as well as a [name]Kathryn[/name]. But that’s about as far as it goes. I’m always reading studies showing that teachers’ perceptions of students’ names will affect how they treat them (and ultimately how well they learn), and I think yooneek spellings can really influence this. I wouldn’t do it.

I’m 100% for normal spellings, and just don’t understand the yooneek craze. To me, names are words, and I can’t imagine people deliberately misspelling words in the English language (or any language) in an attempt to stand out from the crowd.

I think that severe yooneek spellings, Ahlyvya for [name]Olivia[/name], for example, look unprofessional, and while an Ahlyvya can’t help how her parents chose to spell her name, I worry that such a spelling may unfortunately be held against her when she’s applying for a job.

More than anything, I guess I just don’t understand the phenomenon of the yooneek name, especially because in the end, it’s pronounced the same as the authentically spelled version.

Hmm…

Lamps, I think those studies are fascinating! :slight_smile:

I agree, [name]Jill[/name]! Actually, there’s been a bit about it again in the papers recently - I think they polled teachers to find out the names perceived as naughty, bright, etc. You may enjoy looking at the lists:

Wow! Thanks, Lamps! :slight_smile:

Normal 100000%!!!

[name]Do[/name] you think there has been a HUGE trend in the last couple of years with people using “creative/unusual” spellings??

Normal with the exception of “y”, “ie”, and “i” endings.

I agree that unique spellings look less professional and will effect the way your child may be treated in life. I wonder if unique spellings are used because people are unaware of how many other legitimate name options there are. There are some great names that may look misspelled but are completely normal just uncommon to ones particular geographic location.

I go nuts when I see people butchering the spelling on perfectly lovely names.

Traditional spellings only PLEASE!

And yes there is a trend out there with some who think that it is somehow better to misspell or butcher the spelling of the names they give their children.