Not a baby, but...

In school I’m reading The [name]Golden[/name] Compass by [name]Philip[/name] Pullman. In the book, all the humans possess daemons- out-of-body, animal representations of your personality and soul.

I have to create my own daemon, and I chose the hummingbird. Now my task is to name it. Being a name lover, I was obviously very excited to do this. However, I was soon faced with indecision (imagine what I will be like in many years when I have children!!!).

In the book, it seems like the daemons’ names were fabricated by the author. As a fan of vintage and quirky old names, I could not bring myself to commit the act of making a name up. So, I stepped outside my comfort zone a bit and tried to find unusual names that would not sound out of place in a fantasy novel.

After some research on Nameberry, I narrowed my list down to three:

[name]Ara[/name]- an Armenian god of agriculture, according to behindthename.com

[name]Florian[/name]- Latin, “flowering”— hummingbirds are pollinators

[name]Alaric[/name]- this one just sounds cool!

If you’ve got some extra time, opinions and other suggestions would be very much appreciated! Maybe I am just making a big deal out of nothing… but this is important to me, a huge name nerd!

Oh, also, if you have any suggestions— boy names only, please. In the novel, all the females have male daemons, and vice versa.

Thanks!

[name]Florian[/name] is my favorite of your choices - unusual, but not peculiar, and fitting of a hummingbird.

I feel like a hummingbird needs a delicate name, and [name]Florian[/name], though strong, fits this description for me…

I also like Oya ([name]African[/name], “wind warrior goddess” - unisex) and Yuuki (Japanese, “gentle hope”).

Good luck!

From your list, I love [name]Florian[/name] and [name]Alaric[/name]! I’ll think of more names soon, but I just have to say that I cannot believe this was written by a 12-year-old! You are mature beyond your years, and so lovely. I actually referred to you in a thread about [name]Sally[/name], because you have made me love the name so much!

Have a good night! :slight_smile:

Thank you, [name]Lemon[/name] and [name]Jill[/name], for replying!

[name]Lemon[/name]: I love Yuuki! I appreciate your input!

[name]Jill[/name]: Thank you for those lovely comments. I love my name, and I’m happy that you’ve grown to like it too!

Right now it seems like I’m between [name]Florian[/name] and Yuuki, but any opinions or other feedback would be great!

Have a good night!

I just thought of [name]Inigo[/name] and [name]Ushi[/name]! What do you think?

I think [name]Inigo[/name] is very cool…

[name]Auberon[/name]
[name]Casimir[/name]
[name]Deveraux[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Anselm[/name]
[name]Winslow[/name]
[name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Quillen[/name]
[name]Allegro[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Not a fan of [name]Ushi[/name], but I do like [name]Dorian[/name] ([name]Florian[/name] seems better, though) and [name]Winslow[/name] off of [name]Jill[/name]'s list!

Here are a few more:

[name]Arnau[/name] = “strong warrior”
[name]Efren[/name] = “fruitful”
[name]Iago[/name] = “supplanter”
[name]Neron[/name] = “sea”
[name]Paco[/name] = “free”
[name]Rui[/name] = “famous ruler”
Soto = “forest grove”
Tobal = “[name]Christ[/name] bearer”
[name]Yahir[/name] = “handsome”

I love the Pullman books! What a fun project :slight_smile:
I think [name]Florian[/name] would be a great name for your daemon.

Thank you all for your comments! I have decided on [name]Florian[/name], due to the positive feedback on it! I appreciate all of your suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to help me!

I was seriously thinking about you last night, wondering about your daemon. :slight_smile: I think that [name]Florian[/name] was a great choice, and I hope your project is going well!

Take care! :slight_smile: