Not sharing a surname

I know! This is at least 50% of what stopped me from changing my name. I also didn’t want to have to keep track of even more documents since my birth certificate wouldnt match my legal name anymore. [name_u]Boo[/name_u]!

We have 3 different surnames amongst 4 people in my family. [name_f]My[/name_f] stepdad and half brother share a surname, my mum has kept her maiden name, and I have my biological father’s surname.

It was a little difficult at airports in the 2000s… but I never felt less connected to my family. In fact, whenever we’d discuss changing my surname, I’d always say no because I’d have wanted to include my father’s, mother’s and stepfather’s names. And triple-barrelled was just too much.

1 Like

Me and my mother have different surnames. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother and father were never married and when I was expected, I took my dad’s surname. In my experience, it is not a big deal!

1 Like

After my parents divorced, my mum kept my dad’s last name so we could travel with her. I kind of wish she had gone back to her original name and me and my sister had had ours hyphenated with our dad’s first because a) they names sound cool together and b) then my initials would be [Name] AF

2 Likes

haha!

wow that’s amazing-