Ocean/Lake/Water names

[name]Hi[/name] all! I’m due in [name]April[/name] and I’ve been searching for names for a while and stumbled upon this site… I don’t know if it’s a boy/girl, but I’d really love a water/ocean name because I’ve always been into swimming, water, tubing, kayaking, beaches etc. I’ve looked around at other sites, but I haven’t really found anything that isn’t too “out there” if you know what I mean. Does anyone know of any cool water names???

I like [name]Marina[/name] a lot. It has that evocative water feel, but it’s still a perfectly normal name.

[name]Halcyon[/name] (mythic bird who could calm the seas)
[name]Lana[/name] (means “floating” in Hawaiian)
[name]Naida[/name] (water nymph)
[name]Tallulah[/name] (“leaping waters”)
[name]Zarya[/name]/[name]Zaria[/name] (“water priestess”)

[name]Beck[/name] (“brook” or “steam”)
[name]Ford[/name] (a river crossing)
[name]Moses[/name] (“drawn out of the water”)
[name]Ocean[/name] (I know a little guy with this name and it’s actually quite cute)
[name]Rio[/name] (Spanish for “river”)
[name]River[/name]
[name]Wiley[/name]/[name]Wylie[/name] (some say it means “water meadow”)

Of the above, [name]Tallulah[/name] and [name]Moses[/name] would be my top picks :slight_smile:

Ooh! I love [name]Lana[/name] and [name]Beck[/name]… just wondering, is [name]Lana[/name] pronounced lah-nuh or lay-na? I prefer the lah-nuh pronunciation myself.

Thanks so much! Would still love to get a few more ideas!

I would pronounce it “Lah-na” but not sure of the official Hawaiian pronunciation.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Lake[/name] itself as a name? I actually like that one, and it can work for either gender (although I personally like it more for a boy).

This is a fun idea! I am going to put * next to all the names that are ultra cool.
Girls
[name]Leilani[/name] is a Hawaiian name that means “heavenly flower”. It reminds me of the beaches of Maui.
[name]Cordelia[/name] means “daughter of the sea”.
[name]Coral[/name] makes me think of the ocean.
[name]Pearl[/name] *
[name]Sailor[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]- (Scottish river) *
[name]Avalon[/name]-island paradise of Celtic myth. *
[name]Indigo[/name] *
[name]Penelope[/name] (means duck)
[name]Venice[/name]-a beach town in [name]California[/name] as well as the famed city in [name]Italy[/name] with so many canals. *
[name]Catalina[/name]-an island close to Los [name]Angeles[/name]. [name]Avalon[/name] is the main town on the island.
[name]Nerissa[/name]-means from the sea.
[name]Oceane[/name]
[name]Acadia[/name]-[name]Maine[/name] National [name]Park[/name] by the ocean.
[name]Jordan[/name]-the name of a river in [name]Israel[/name]. Unisex name.

Boys
I love [name]Moses[/name] (mentioned in an above post) *
[name]Kai[/name] (means “sea” in Hawaiian) *
[name]Finn[/name] -could be a nickname for [name]Finnian[/name] or Phinias. Sounds like a fin on a fish or swim fins for your feet. Such a water name to my ear and very cute. Could be a great surfer name. So cool. *
[name]Hudson[/name] (river) *
[name]Drake[/name] (means male duck, also a seafaring explorer.) *
Magellan-another seafaring explorer. Would make a cute middle name.
[name]Rio[/name]-means river in Spanish. *
[name]Cruz[/name]- one of the [name]Channel[/name] Islands off the [name]California[/name] coast. Also [name]Santa[/name] [name]Cruz[/name] is a lovely small city in [name]California[/name] next to the ocean. Very pretty place! *
Monterey- Beautiful small city in [name]California[/name] by the ocean.
[name]Elliott[/name]-key (little island) in Biscayne National [name]Park[/name]. *
[name]Walden[/name]- (the famed [name]Walden[/name] Pond)
[name]Moby[/name]-as in [name]Moby[/name] [name]Dick[/name]. *
[name]Ray[/name]- another great surfer name! Makes me think of the rays of the sun or a stingray. Could be a nickname for [name]Raymond[/name]. Very cool! *
[name]Bay[/name]
[name]Caspian[/name]
If you look up “hot lists” you can find water names on the last page.

wow, you guys have given some great suggestions!

one of my favorite aquatic names is [name]Delphine[/name], means dolphin. you can read more about it here: http://appellationmountain.net/2009/01/ … -delphina/

Great list as always, [name]Susan[/name], and we love Appellation Mountain. Why not check out the list of Water Names on nameberry: https://nameberry.com/list/10/Water-Names. Click through on the individual choices and tell us what you think. This is a fabulous theme for a name and one that leads to lots of beautiful and unusual yet meaningful choices.

Maui- Is male in NZ it is the name of a man in a M?ori myth

[name]Beach[/name]
[name]Oceanus[/name]
[name]Reef[/name]
[name]Stone[/name]
[name]Tide[/name]

[name]Oceania[/name]
[name]Teale[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name]
[name]Jetty[/name]
[name]Shelley[/name]
Shellsea

well keep thinking :slight_smile:

I thought and

[name]Harbor[/name]
[name]Waverley[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
Pipi (shell NZ)
[name]Anemone[/name]
Barnacle
Kelp
Nymph

oh! I just remembered one of my favorites, [name]Nixie[/name], means Water Sprite

My name is often overlooked, and not too out-there, and is the name of a body of water. I have been on a similar quest for my daughter who is due on 2.28.2012 because she will be a Pisces and my name is of a river. With that, here are the names on my consideration list:
Girl names only because thats what i’m expecting, however some work truly for both boy and girl

My name: [name]Shannon[/name] (river in Gaelic, also means small but wise)

1. [name]Dylan[/name]- boy or girl name, meaning daughter or son of the waves
  2. [name]Morwenna[/name]
  3. [name]Maya[/name]
  4. [name]Marina[/name]
  5. [name]Rio[/name]- i think this could go for a boy or a girl
  6. [name]Calypso[/name]

[name]Shannon[/name] is both a boy and girls name also. [name]Hope[/name] this list adds to your options. Good luck!

Aven
Cordelia
Delphine
Marin/Maren
Pearl
Talullah

Hudson
Harbor
Marion