Odin... honest feedback please

I’m a day shy of 19 weeks and had been really struggling with names (again)

I somewhat jokingly mentioned the name [name_m]Odin[/name_m], I saw it on an old thread and my husband was like “that’s it!”

I’ll be honest - I love the name, but I can’t help wonder that it might be something people might not get.

One half of me doesn’t care. I’m English living in Nebraska so I roll my eyes at a looooooot of names that I see people naming their children, and them rolling their eyes at my name is technically a compliment, but still… I don’t want people being mean about my son’s name when he is at school etc or think it’s a dog’s name because they are completely culturally unaware of it’s rich history.

[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and [name_m]Odin[/name_m]. [name_m]Ike[/name_m] and [name_m]Odie[/name_m]. I think it makes a sweet sibset.

What are your opinions?

I thank it’s a perfectly acceptable name, and a quite lovely one, actually! I have a cousin with a young son (also living in the US midwest) who is named [name_m]Odin[/name_m], and no one has batted an eye at the name.

That is really good to know! Thank you.

As a fan of unusual names, I have to say that I think [name_m]Odin[/name_m] is a very awesome name! [name_m]Ike[/name_m] and [name_m]Odie[/name_m] are adorable although [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and [name_m]Odin[/name_m] are quite mismatch [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I love [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] with the nickname [name_m]Ike[/name_m]!

When I hear [name_m]Odie[/name_m], I do immediately think of the dog in the [name_m]Garfield[/name_m] comic. I don’t even remember the last time I saw anything [name_m]Garfield[/name_m] related, so I am not sure if this is going to be a common association or not. Maybe if this is going to potentially bother you, just pick a different nickname? Not that it necessarily needs a nickname at all.

With [name_m]Odin[/name_m], I think of the god. I don’t think that [name_m]Odin[/name_m] is unheard of as a name for a non-mythological person, so if you love it, I would use it. It is not difficult to figure out how to pronounce it or anything, and its quick to spell. Its a lot less common than [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], so I think you will likely need to explain it at first (my son’s name is [name_m]Levin[/name_m] and I nearly always need to repeat and spell it for people. It’s not difficult, it’s just not on people’s mental list of expected names like [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] would be.)

Edited to add: I just now read Odo as a nickname for Odin. I think this avoids the cartoon dog association. It does skew a little Star Trek, but not in a bad way, in my opinion

I really like [name_m]Odin[/name_m]! It’s on our list of potential names :slight_smile:

[name_f]Do[/name_f] it!!! I love the name [name_m]Odin[/name_m]! Also from Midwest, have heard it twice around here.

It is not my style

go for it!! a friend of mine is having a baby in a few weeks and is naming him [name_m]Odin[/name_m]…i think its great!

Personally, it’s not my style. However, I know someone who used this name and (as far as I know) hasn’t had any issues with it. So, it’s definitely usable if that’s what you like.

I think I’d stay away from nn [name_m]Odie[/name_m] though…definitely makes me think of the dog from [name_m]Garfield[/name_m].

It sounds evil… I don’t know that it is evil, but I just loathe it.

[name_m]Ike[/name_m] and [name_m]Odie[/name_m] is the sweetest sibset!

I personally love the name [name_m]Odin[/name_m]! It’s so rich and strong!

If you decided not to go with [name_m]Odin[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m] is close?

I’ve woken up today thinking “no way” to [name_m]Odin[/name_m].

It’s hard for me because my husband SO rarely loves a name that when he does I really want it to sit well with me. I do love the name, the sound, the history, but I think i’m happy just to appreciate it on other children rather than one of my own.

I really love [name_m]Odie[/name_m] as a nickname though, so cute with [name_m]Ike[/name_m].

Thanks everyone… the search continues!

Names that sound similar to [name_m]Odin[/name_m] ([name_f]IMO[/name_f])

[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
I like @mlbina’s suggestion of [name_m]Otis[/name_m], above
[name_u]Tobin[/name_u]
[name_m]Bodie[/name_m]? I am not sure I am spelling this correctly, I just hear it out occasionally
[name_m]Brody[/name_m]
[name_m]Orin[/name_m]

Well I was going to comment that it’s not my style and I don’t see the appeal but I see you’ve decided against it. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you find the perfect name!

I think that’s really wise. While I absolutely love mythological names, some are really hard for a child to wear. I love the name [name_m]Adonis[/name_m], but could never saddle a child with it. I think [name_m]Odin[/name_m] is in that same category…some other ideas:

[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Donovan[/name_m]
[name_u]Dillon[/name_u]