Oh-oh, does this take Thor off the table??

“Directed by [name]Kenneth[/name] Branagh, “[name]Thor[/name],” which also stars [name]Anthony[/name] Hopkins and [name]Natalie[/name] Portman, will thunder into theaters on [name]May[/name] 6, 2011.”

Well, as some of you know this was my top boy name. I’m thinking a blockbuster summer movie pretty much eliminates it from consideration. People would think we REALLY loved that movie. And [name]Thor[/name] the comic book super hero had nothing to do with our love of the name. [name]Do[/name] you agree?

Yes, i think it takes away from the name. Maybe you could name him Thorton and use the nn [name]Thor[/name]??
[name]Just[/name] a suggestion :slight_smile:

Yeah, I wouldnt use it if I were you. I like the idea of using it as a nn for Thorton or maybe [name]Thorsten[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] Norsedad!

Oh no!!! I love [name]Thor[/name]!
Personally I think the name has such rich history that a movie won’t take away from it.

Am I correct in remembering that you and your wife are due in [name]August[/name] (?) of this year? In that case, no one will think you named your son after a 2011 movie.

Movies come and go, and I doubt it will make a big enough splash to linger in people’s minds for more than a few years. Unless it’s really good, in which case, that’s not a bad association right?

Then again maybe I’m just stretching because of my love for the name! :slight_smile:
Good luck again!

I second this!! Still good to go with [name]Thor[/name].

I agree. [name]Thor[/name] still makes a perfectly fine nickname, but I wouldn’t use it as the first name.

~[name]Frances[/name]

I agree with this! Having a movie doesn’t take away from the name since the name has much more history/significance than just a movie. If you were worried at all, I think the fact that the movie is due after your baby makes a big difference as well.
[name]Just[/name] a note that those who are suggesting that [name]Thor[/name] be a nn for a longer name may be doing so because they don’t care for [name]Thor[/name] in general, not just because of the movie association. I don’t think you’re considering using [name]Thorsten[/name] or others nn [name]Thor[/name], but if you’re going to call him [name]Thor[/name] then you’ll run into the same associations with the movie anyway - regardless of what the baby’s full name may be.

I say go for [name]Thor[/name]!

It doesn’t really change things. The movie’s [name]Thor[/name] isn’t a new character; he is [name]Thor[/name], Norse god of thunder. Which is what everyone will think of anyway. That’s what makes [name]Thor[/name] a “heavyweight” name in English-speaking countries. It takes some boldness to use, but for it to be your top choice, you must already have that.

I seen a really interesting name the other day- Thorsen!

(-:

A little thought on the matter from [name]Sweden[/name].

[name]Thor[/name], or as it is spelled in Swedish; [name]Tor[/name] is a very old Swedish (Scandinavian) name. The hammer was his sign, and that is why some people wear the hammer as a sign of strenght. It is rarely used in Swedish because of the connections to New-Nazi organisations that have tried to “occupy” the old norse names like [name]Tor[/name] or [name]Oden[/name]. But it is still a very powerful and cool name, but it “rings” a little auspicious in [name]Sweden[/name]/Scandinavia. But hopeully, that name connection doesn’t exist where you live!

I think you should go for it if you really love it. Be aware though that [name]Thor[/name], the God, wasn’t all good and loved war and fighting. If you still love it, don’t go for [name]Torsten[/name] or [name]Thornton[/name] (even though I love that name). Good luck!

Thanks for the info about the old norse names being used by the [name]Aryan[/name] type folks, I wasn’t aware of that. I think that combined with the movie release take the shine and originality off the name. I found another name we love and will reveal it in a different post. I think it better reflects out lifestyle than [name]Thor[/name] does so it’s all good.

[name]Dove[/name], I’m afraid our pregnancy didn’t stick so we are back to the drawing board. There is a chance, if we have more luck next time, that a birth might be around the time of the movie release.