Okay to name boy Thatcher with sister Margaret?

What about [name]Theron[/name]?

[name]Thatcher[/name] is too matchy with [name]Margaret[/name]…sorry ):

I’m sorry to say [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name] really jumped out at me, and I don’t live in [name]England[/name]

I agree with mamagrace though, your kids probably won’t get asked about it but you probably will, so if it’s not something you want to deal with I wouldn’t use the name. That said, if you really love it, it may be worth having to correct people.

It does go very nicely with your other children’s names!

I don’t think this would ONLY be a problem if you’re in the UK. Anybody aware of international politics at all will instantly see the connection. Unless she is a hero of yours, I would steer clear of this. It’s like having [name]Bill[/name] and [name]Clinton[/name] as sons.

Anyone who knows the slightest thing about English politics knows the iron lady of politics [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name]. I can’t see anything but teasing if you use [name]Thatcher[/name] seeing as his sister’s name is [name]Margaret[/name].

Alternatives

[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Frazer[/name]
[name]Tadhg[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]

Unfortunately I think its a deal breaker.

I don’t think it’s a problem at all.
Individually your child’s name isn’t [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name].
[name]Love[/name] the name, and the flow of all the kids names.
I say if you love it, use it!

Choosing [name]Thatcher[/name] is really inviting a lifetime’s worth of comments. I’d keep looking for a different name. Some ideas that start with T and end with er: [name]Tanner[/name], [name]Thayer[/name], [name]Thurber[/name], [name]Tolliver[/name], [name]Traver[/name], [name]Trenner[/name], [name]Tucker[/name], [name]Trevor[/name], [name]Tyler[/name].

Or you could go the World Leader Surname route: [name]Clinton[/name], [name]Kennedy[/name], [name]Reagan[/name], [name]Ford[/name], [name]Jefferson[/name] etc.

As someone else said, it’s not going to be the kids that get the comments for the most part, it will be you and your husband. So if you don’t mind that, I would say go ahead and use it. [name]Even[/name] in the US, adults are going to see the connection, but you should name your children whatever is most meaningful to you.

Alternative to [name]Thatcher[/name] ([name]Margaret[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name] probably not a good incidental association if you didn’t mean to honor her).

[name]Calvin[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] and…

[name]Tanner[/name]
[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Ryder[/name]
[name]Gunner[/name]
[name]Fisher[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]
Ryal (a family name I dug up and love)

I second [name]Thayer[/name]

Thanks everyone so much for all your comments and suggestions! As much as we love the name, we agree it’s probably not worth all the comments we would get. So we’ve decided not to use it. I’m going to do a separate post to get your opinions of the names we are considering. Thanks in advance for you input!

I am an American living in the UK, and I’d say pick another name…
Or let me rephrase that: If you had 2 sons, and the firstborn was [name]Richard[/name], would you name the second one [name]Nixon[/name]?
“[name]Richard[/name]! [name]Nixon[/name]! Come in for dinner…”
I’d think probably not.

Are there any other surnames or occupation names you like that have the same feel as [name]Thatcher[/name] does to you?