Old fashion names..too common?

I need help. I really love older common names like [name]John[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Matthew[/name] etc. My hubby finds them boring. Any suggestions on names that will be a compromise.

We like older, classic names as well…although I don’t think [name]John[/name] is actually that common for babies born today! We named our older son [name]James[/name] and he’s always been the only [name]James[/name] ([name]Jay[/name] nn) in class!

You might look at the colonial names for boys list…some older but more unusual names ([name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Jedidiah[/name] are 2 that come to mind). [name]Hope[/name] this helps a bit!

You can never go wrong with “old fashion” names as they are timeless no matter how common or popular they become. Here are some suggestions all of which come from one of the best souces for baby names, the Bible. Good luck!
Boys
[name]Jonah[/name] i/o [name]John[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name] i/o [name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Asa[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
Girls
[name]Susannah[/name] i/o [name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Drusilla[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Joanna[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]

I actually think most “old fashioned” names are NOT too common---- parents are shying away from them for that reason, but other than [name]William[/name] in my neck of the woods [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]John[/name] and [name]Matthew[/name] are way LESS common than names like [name]Alice[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Asher[/name].

If you want to spice them up, you can look at those names with different versions.

For [name]John[/name], there are other versions such as [name]Evan[/name], [name]Sean[/name], [name]Ivan[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Ian[/name], etc.

For [name]Sarah[/name], think about [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Sally[/name], [name]Suri[/name]

For [name]Matthew[/name] I’ve heard [name]Matteo[/name], [name]Matthias[/name], Matthieu and even [name]Maddox[/name]

If your husband thinks your choices are boring, maybe you could spice them up with a middle name he likes? When you start with a good base like [name]John[/name], [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Matthew[/name] the middle name possibilities are endless!!!

I think the best compromise for you would be a classic, established name that isn’t as common as names like [name]Matthew[/name] or wasn’t common in our generation. These make them sound a bit more interesting, but still very elegant. Sorry for repeats, but my suggestions would be:
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] ([name]Maggie[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Greta[/name], [name]Rita[/name], and [name]Mara[/name] are just a few of the TONS of nicknames available)
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]

[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve definitly added [name]Jude[/name] to my list and a few others now just to compare to his list ugh!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Jack[/name], [name]Patrick[/name] or [name]Eli[/name] for a boy, or [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Lila[/name] for a girl?

[name]Hi[/name] there, I’m really into old fashioned names. I have a 2 year old named [name]Atticus[/name], and am expecting another boy in the spring. I have a thread going too with most older male names, if your interested (thread is “brother for [name]Atticus[/name]”). Good luck :slight_smile:

I would not name my precious child, [name]Sadie[/name]. [name]Sadie[/name] is a popular DOG’S name, and not meant for precious little girls!!
[name]Do[/name] your homework…it’s a dog name.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps.[/b]

It was an acceptable choice for [name]Adam[/name] Sandler and [name]Christina[/name] Applegate, [name]Just[/name] to name a few…

There are lots of names people use for animals, but I dare you to find an “ANIMAL [name]KING[/name]” who claims to have some stake in any given name. In fact, given that HUMANS NAME DOGS, it follows suit they would often choose HUMAN NAMES.

Now, if you want to name your little boy Fido, maybe we have something to talk about…

To the OP -

[name]Do[/name] a search for “classic / timeless baby names”…you might find some spins on some old favorites that will be the perfect compromise, or perhaps an underused gem that will satisfy you both…

[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Matteo[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]

I think [name]Abel[/name] is a great name that would be considered old fashioned but isn’t very common it would be a great sibling to a [name]Jude[/name].

“I would not name my precious child, [name]Sadie[/name]. is a popular DOG’S name, and not mean precious little girls!! [name]Do[/name] your homework…it’s a dog name. [name]Hope[/name] this helps.”

Really? because MY name is [name]Sadie[/name] and there is nothing Canine about me. [name]Sadie[/name] is a diminutive to [name]Sarah[/name], and [name]Sarah[/name] has been around since biblical times… i wonder how long people have been namimg dogs? please think before you type next time.
To OP i really think everyone has given you a great bunch of names. Good luck!

Hmm okay, I’ll admit [name]Ive[/name] met two puppies named [name]Sadie[/name]. However I’ve also many more canines named [name]Molly[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lucy[/name] etc. Anything ending in -y or -ie is a popular pick for dogs. That doesnt mean they dont belong on humans also.

PetPlace’s top dog names based on a survey of pet insurance policyholders:

Top 10 [name]Male[/name] [name]Pet[/name] Names

1. [name]MAX[/name]
  2. [name]BUDDY[/name]
  3. [name]JAKE[/name]
  4. [name]ROCKY[/name]
  5. [name]BAILEY[/name]
  6. [name]BUSTER[/name]
  7. [name]CODY[/name]
  8. [name]CHARLIE[/name]
  9. [name]BEAR[/name]
  10. [name]JACK[/name]

Top 10 Female [name]Pet[/name] Names

1. [name]MOLLY[/name]
  2. [name]MAGGIE[/name]
  3. [name]DAISY[/name]
  4. [name]LUCY[/name]
  5. [name]SADIE[/name]
  6. [name]GINGER[/name]
  7. [name]CHLOE[/name]
  8. [name]BAILEY[/name]
  9. [name]SOPHIE[/name]
  10. [name]ZOE[/name]

I’ll give you [name]Buddy[/name], [name]Rocky[/name], [name]Buster[/name], [name]Bear[/name], and [name]Ginger[/name] (borderline), but I would put [name]Sadie[/name] along the “people names that owners like for dogs” like [name]Max[/name], [name]Jake[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Zoe[/name]…

It’s a bit silly to say that a name like [name]Sadie[/name] is a “dog name” just because it’s a popular choice for dogs. [name]Sadie[/name] is a long-established nickname for [name]Sarah[/name], and a full name in its own right. [name]Christina[/name] Appelgate just named her daughter [name]Sadie[/name]!

For the record, I’m not even a fan of [name]Sadie[/name]. I just thought labeling it a “dog name” was more than a bit ridiculous.