Olivia, Saoirse, Briony?

Ok so I’m way to young to have kids, but I already picked them out because I love names lol. Tell me what you think of these as a sibset

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Freya[/name] [name]Plum[/name]
[name]Saoirse[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Briony[/name] Eun-[name]Hye[/name] [name]Moon[/name]

• Would it be weird if I used [name]Saoirse[/name] because I’m not even white let alone Irish. But I really love the name :stuck_out_tongue:
      — I want to adopt a girl from Korea, and Eun-[name]Hye[/name] means grace and benefit

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Freya[/name] [name]Plum[/name]
[name]Saoirse[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Briony[/name] Eun-[name]Hye[/name] [name]Moon[/name]
I really like [name]Saoirse[/name] and well, if you like it, go for it. I have a little problem with double A-ending sound or [name]Saoirse[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]. What about [name]Saoirse[/name] [name]Briony[/name]?

FWIW, [name]Saoirse[/name] is a highly politicized name in [name]Ireland[/name] - especially Northern [name]Ireland[/name]. It’s tantamount to naming your child [name]Liberty[/name] in the US or something like [name]Britannia[/name] in the UK. I think it’s im[ortant to be aware of the connotations of a name, even if it’s not seen that way in your immediate community. If you have no connection to [name]Ireland[/name] and the authenticity of the spelling isn’t an issue, why not anglicize it as Sairsha?

Btw, can I take a stab in the dark and ask if your naming choices were influenced by Atonement?

Yeah I’ve looked up the name and heard that. I really like the original spelling [name]Saoirse[/name] but ohh well its going to be a while before I have a kid anyways

What do you think about [name]Sawyer[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] or just [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]?

Atonement is one of my favorite films so thats where I got [name]Briony[/name] from. I like the actress [name]Saoirse[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] as well.

I love the name [name]Saoirse[/name] but it would be hard for others to pronounce, (Sor-cha). I would go with the more common [name]Sasha[/name] or spell it [name]Sorcha[/name]/Sorsha.

[name]Just[/name] to absolutely clarify, I have Irish heritage and speak Gaelic, and [name]Saoirse[/name] is pronounced a little like seer-sha/sare-sha. I’m not Northern Irish, but the name doesn’t evoke politics to me at all - well, it does in the same way that [name]Liberty[/name] does, but it wouldn’t make me think that that was the reason you named your child that.

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Freya[/name] [name]Plum[/name] - the popularity of [name]Olivia[/name] irks me, but it is still lovely. [name]Freya[/name] and [name]Plum[/name] are both favourites of mine.
[name]Saoirse[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] - I find this one a little hard to say, due to all of the Rs … I love [name]Saoirse[/name] and [name]Aurelia[/name], though. [name]How[/name] about another one-syllable mn, like for the others - [name]Saoirse[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Blythe[/name], maybe?
[name]Briony[/name] Eun-[name]Hye[/name] [name]Moon[/name] - I grew up in Seoul, and I love Eun-[name]Hye[/name]! Due to the non-traditionally English nature of it, though, I personally would be inclined to give her a very English other mn, rather than the eccentric [name]Moon[/name] … perhaps [name]Kate[/name], [name]Tess[/name], [name]Ruth[/name] or [name]Jane[/name]? [name]Briony[/name] feels a little dated to me, too …

I don’t think it would be so strange to use [name]Saoirse[/name] if you are not Irish … people here in [name]England[/name] use names like [name]Cosima[/name] all of the time, without being even slightly Italian, and [name]Maeve[/name] is popular among non-Welsh people. That said, Irish names do pose more pronunciation issues than most …