Olivia?

Thoughts on the name :hugs:

how popular is it really? (Australia if anyone else from here)
has popularity taken its shine?

I think it’s popularity really depends on where you live. I don’t hear it much at all! If the name still shines for you, then I wouldn’t worry about its popularity!

1 Like

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name. Incredibly popular. I think as a mn it is gorgeous and much more unexpected than when it is used as a first name. As a teacher I can almost guarantee that nearly every class I teach will have an [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] in it :smile:

1 Like

I only know one [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], but I’m not Australian. I think it’s a lovely, traditional name.

1 Like

Yes I was wondering if it would be like that or even more in each class. Has been on top of lists for quite a while

I’m not in Australia, so I looked up [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]’s popularity just to get a sense, and it does seem like it’s very popular there rankings-wise. But popular names these days are never as popular as they used to be, percentage wise, because people choose such a greater variety of names. And [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] has the advantage of being a lovely classic, so it doesn’t feel trendy even though it’s definitely having a moment. Also, it doesn’t really sound like any other popular names; whereas for the [name_f]Evie[/name_f]/[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]/[name_f]Eva[/name_f] set or the [name_f]Layla[/name_f]/[name_f]Lila[/name_f]/[name_f]Lola[/name_f] set, for instance, it all adds up. I don’t think [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] has lost its shine–I still think it’s a beautiful name. I just think it depends how bothered you would be by your daughter sharing her name with other little girls. I love the idea of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] as an unexpected middle. There’s also [name_f]Livia[/name_f], which looks and sounds similar but has different history. Some other names that remind me of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] but are a little less common:

Vivian
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariella[/name_f]
[name_f]Aviva[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I’m in the midwest U.S. It’s very popular here. I hear it a lot. It’s a beautiful name though. It’s classic & pretty, w/a little bit of a bold sophisticated vibe. And I mainly just adore the nn [name_f]Livy[/name_f]. I kind of prefer [name_f]Olive[/name_f] nn [name_f]Livy[/name_f] since it’s a bit more unexpected.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t live in Australia, but I’d say it’s somewhat popular where I live (east coast) I’ve noticed at our church that it seems to be most popular with 6-10 year old girls, but I haven’t seen anyone in the toddler or preschool room with it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my observation!

I really love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and think it’s charming. It’s definitely popular for a reason!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]! I work with children and the only Olivias I know are both over the age of 16. I think it’s lovely and if it is popular where you are, it’s popular for a reason.

1 Like

Cute name but incredible popular in AUS / NZ / UK, which unfortunately does take the shine out of it a little bit.

How about [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or [name_f]Olive[/name_f]?

1 Like

It’s definitely very popular, but for good reason. It’s a gorgeous classic! Plus [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and [name_f]Livvie[/name_f] are super cute nicknames.

1 Like

I’ve met numerous Olivias of varying ages and i admit it has dulled it a bit

1 Like

Kiwi here, so assuming the name popularity is similar to over in Aus.

I know a lot of baby [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]’s (and baby [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]’s for the boys) if you care about having a name that isn’t so popular I’d suggest using [name_f]Olive[/name_f] as an alternative, or even something like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. Unfortunately yes, it is still a very popular name.

1 Like

Honestly I am not the biggest fan of the name [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Olive[/name_f] more. But I think that it truly is a very popular name.

1 Like