One middle or two?

I have become really set on [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] for a future daughter. I’ve recently begun considering adding [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] as a second middle. It’s another family name that I just really like. I’d always thought two middle names sounded a bit too clunky, but I kinda like the sound of [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. Is it too much?

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] or [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]? Which sounds better to y’all? TIA!

Here’s my two cents: I don’t think I would ever use two middles for my children. I think it would cause too much trouble considering that middle names are hardly ever used. I do think that [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] has a lovely flow to it, and it is a truly beautiful name. That being said, [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] on its own is also beautiful, so I’d say go with what you like/think would be best for your daughter. I would use one middle for simplicity, but that’s just me.

1 Like

I used to feel like two middle names was just too much, but lately I’ve been finding myself crushing on combos with two middles. I know a lot of people who have two and like it, so I definitely think it’s a normal thing to do. Personally I feel like the flow has to be perfect for me to prefer two middles to one, and I think you found that with [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] adds an extra bit of sweetness and spunk. [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] is great on its own too, but I do think I like the sound of [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] more. I agree that you should go with the name you love! In this case, I dont think you can go wrong.

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] better :slight_smile: I like that it’s a very stately name sandwiched between two sweet vintage ones.

4 Likes

I like [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] on its own.

1 Like

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is amazing!! Grand and beautiful

3 Likes

I really like both. If you’re keen to use [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], it flows well and sounds beautiful so go for it! I have two middle names and it’s never caused any issues for me.

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] sounds beautiful! Also, my input as someone who actually has two middle names - I’ve never faced any problems because of it, and I actually prefer having two to just one.

3 Likes

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is the sweetest. Great flow.

2 Likes

S/O and I have considered two middles as well - I’m just too picky with flow :joy:

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is beautiful, and imo it does flow slightly better than [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] on its own, but you honestly can’t go wrong with either choice!

2 Likes

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] is lovely and refreshing! So is [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. I don’t think two middle names would be a problem. I am giving my daughter two middle names. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t worry about the two middle names issue. [name_m]Just[/name_m] go with what you like best. You can’t go wrong!

1 Like

Both are nice but I think [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is exceptional! I can’t speak from personal experience, but everything I’ve heard from people who have two middle names is that it’s never been an issue. I’ve considered it for my kids, but I just worry that the second name would never be used, which kind of makes it feel pointless to me. So yeah, I can understand the dilemma. I do think [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is stunning though, so that’s my vote.

1 Like

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is darling! The flow is perfect.

I have two middle names, both family names - they don’t particularly flow or work together but I wouldn’t change them because of the sentiment behind both names. It’s never been an issue for me having two middle names.

Because of the clunkiness of my name, I didn’t overly consider giving my children two but we found a double middle combination we loved for a boy so started to play around with the idea of using two. Both my girls ended up having two middle names which I love and think work well as a whole name without being too much.

So, I think it really depends on the names. It just doesn’t work sometimes where as with others, I think a second middle can really add to the name. This is one, for me. [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] is gorgeous but [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is stunning in my opinion.

2 Likes

All I would say about two middle names is that if you start it with one child you might be obligated to continue it with all your children. That’s what happened to us. We have three boys and after fumbling into two middle names with the first two it’s now a firm rule for all future children. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something to keep in mind.

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is dynamite though :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I did wonder a little about that. We have one child already, and he just has one middle. If we do have another, he/she would be the last one, so I wondered if having two middles would be bad since older brother would only have one. Also our last name starts with S, so her initials would be SAPS, but not sure that’s a bad thing.

I have two middles (technically a double-barrel) and I always loved having more names, especially because I like all of them. :relaxed: Thanks, mom!
[name_f]My[/name_f] partner only had his mother’s maiden name as his middle so it was kind of like he only had one name to call his own and he doesn’t like it so that sucks…

I think both [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] and [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] are really great options. I’d say wait until the decision needs to be made. We have two boys with one middle a piece. But when we pick girls’ names we make combos with two middles. It has yet to be seen whether we would actually use two and I always choose one first and then expand, like you’ve done with [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]. I might decide I only want one when a baby is actually here.

[name_f]My[/name_f] only piece of feedback as to the difference is that [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] truly unifies the name stylistically. Because [name_f]Sally[/name_f] and [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] (both of which were popular over a long period of time) had moments when they shone brightest (I think of [name_f]Sally[/name_f] as mid century à la Mad Men, and [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] seems more like a turn-of-the-century aughts coming of age in the roaring twenties), [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] moves the average earlier and makes the three names fit together more closely in my mind. I don’t necessarily think the anachronism is a fault in just [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], but something to be aware of depending on what you’re looking for in others’ perceptions of her name.

1 Like

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is really wonderful! I think two middles can sometimes sound a bit over the top if it’s a string of grand names—[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Titania[/name_f] [name_f]Leopoldine[/name_f], for example—but I think [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is sweet and doesn’t sound over the top at all.

2 Likes

[name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is a great name! It means a lot to you, so that’s definitely my favorite.
I have one middle names and two surnames, so I don’t think having two middle names is a big deal. Definitely not too much, from my point of view.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], beautiful name!!! I love double middles and plan on using them for future kids, as I find it so hard to choose between all these pretty names. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad has double middles. But his sister doesn’t, nor my mom or anyone in her family I know of

1 Like

[name_m]Ive[/name_m] got two middle names, and it was so much fun as a child to say to friends that didn’t have middle names “It’s ok you can borrow one of mine” :rofl:

1 Like