Opinions on adjective/value names

@g.o.d.d.e.s.s Adjective nicknames wasn’t something I had thought about! All of the ones you suggested are sooo cute :sparkling_heart:

@pesephonescrown [name_u]Blythe[/name_u] and [name_u]Pax[/name_u] are :sparkles:.

@danilib <3

@Sadie307 Yeah, how do you shorten [name_f]Patience[/name_f]? :thinking: [name_u]Pace[/name_u] and Sense are the only ways I could think of besides Patti/Pat.Sad part is i’ve loved the name since the age of five, but it’s definitely more of name to give to a character than a child.

@snowmaiden Name Irony is adorable! Well, except in @Luminen 's case :sweat_smile:

[quote=“tallemaja, post:12, topic:437944”]
I don’t want the name I give my child to feel like I’m trying to convey an expectation.
[/quote] I also agree entirely with this!

@seawillow Your comment is really well written and I agree entirely, ironically (i hope i’m using it correctly) I knew a [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] who was a lumberjack. At the time I associated it with [name_m]Tom[/name_m] [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] though.

@mea.ola Awww <3 What a cutie

3 Likes

I like value names.
While there should be no expectation to live up to the given name, parents give those names with hope that their children will embody those core values and aspire to them, making them a part of themselves.

In my culture we believe that the name is tied to the soul, and when parents name a child they are given [name_u]Divine[/name_u] providence in attaching the proper name to that soul. The name becomes a deep reflection of who that person grows to be, even if the value isn’t seen on the surface.

So [name_f]Grace[/name_f] isn’t so graceful? Maybe she’s gracious and accepts life challenges with grace. [name_f]Joy[/name_f] doesn’t seem so joyful? Perhaps she finds joy in something you don’t know about. Maybe she reflects joy in a different way that you do, and it’s more of an inner joy than an outer one.

There’s so much value to virtue names.

3 Likes

I absolutely love virtue/value names! Some of my faves are [name_f]Patience[/name_f], [name_u]Blessing[/name_u], [name_f]Remember[/name_f], [name_f]Temperance[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_u]Kindred[/name_u], [name_u]Liberty[/name_u], [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Merrily[/name_f], [name_f]Rejoice[/name_f], [name_u]Solace[/name_u], [name_m]Able[/name_m], [name_m]Constant[/name_m], [name_m]Fortitude[/name_m], [name_u]Kyrie[/name_u], [name_u]Reason[/name_u], [name_u]Vesper[/name_u], and [name_m]Worth[/name_m].

As for my extended opinion on them, I’d just be repeating what a bunch of other people have said. I think they’re great, although a few shouldn’t be used (like [name_f]Obedience[/name_f] and Chastity). And even though a person is named one thing, they don’t have to reflect that with their personality. If I were to name my kid a virtue/value name, say [name_f]Patience[/name_f], I would probably remind her that she doesn’t have to live up to her name. No one who has a virtue/value name has to live up to it. It’s their name, not their dictated personality

1 Like

I find value names a little corny. I wouldn’t do it personally, but the sentiment is clearly sweet. I like the name Hero!

I agree with this.

1 Like