Opinions On Boy Names On Girls

This is just a discussion on people’s point of view on this “new”(I put quotation marks on new, bc it’s really not new) trend on girls having boy’s names.

I personally, use to dislike boy names on girls. But as I fell in love with traditional boy names on girls([name_u]Colby[/name_u]/[name_u]Billie[/name_u]/ect), I slowly fall in love with the trend. Though I can’t necessarily get behind [name_u]James[/name_u], or [name_u]Elliot[/name_u].

1 Like

I quite like it. But I feel like there is no clear rule as to which boy names I like on girls lol, for example I really enjoy [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], [name_u]Darby[/name_u], [name_u]Sailor[/name_u], [name_u]Max[/name_u] and many others for girls, but I’m not a fan of some of the celebrity choices like [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] or [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] - they just ring too masculine for me I suppose

I don’t think I have a “fixed” opinion on boys names for girls, it depends on the name. However, I dislike -son names for girls because to me it makes no sense. A girl is not a son. I know people in [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking countries don’t care about this and they don’t seem to notice, but it bothers me. Maybe it’s just a cultural difference, I don’t know :wink: But in the end everyone should just go with the name they love (unless it’s harmful in some way to the child).

I don’t really mind it. Some, I’m not a fan of - [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] etc -which are really popular on boys or I just don’t like in general- but others are quite nice - [name_u]Barrett[/name_u], [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_u]Finley[/name_u] etc

I’m a fan of it, but I grew up with a lot of gender swapped names I feel like? I know more boys named [name_u]Addison[/name_u] and [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] (which I know are originally boys names, but for the 90s this is a little unusual), but more girls named [name_m]Eli[/name_m] (short for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]), [name_u]Logan[/name_u] and [name_u]Brett[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] own name is considered unisex technically too, so it just seems like a very normal thing to me :woman_shrugging:t3:

I don’t mind it if the “boy’s names” were originally surnames. Using the mother’s maiden name as a child’s first or middle name is traditional in some cultures. E.g. the actress [name_f]Greer[/name_f] [name_m]Garson[/name_m].

I can’t really get behind very traditionally masculine names on girls though. Like [name_m]William[/name_m] or [name_m]Robert[/name_m]. I, as a woman, would not want to have everyone assuming that I am a man based on my name. I think that would be very frustrating. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my opinion. I recall that the writer [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_u]Rice[/name_u] changed her name from [name_u]Howard[/name_u] to [name_u]Anne[/name_u] because she was embarrassed by having a masculine name.

1 Like

I’m not a fan. Most unisex names (even ones that lean more girl) I prefer on boys. The unisex names I do like on girls are…

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] (also like on boys)
[name_u]Arden[/name_u] (also like on boys)
[name_u]Austen[/name_u]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u] (prefer on boys though)
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] (prefer on boys)
[name_u]Blair[/name_u] (also like on boys)
[name_u]Briar[/name_u] (prefer on boys)
[name_u]Bryn[/name_u]/[name_u]Bryn[/name_u] (my name buuut also like on boys)
[name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] (also like on boys)
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u] (also like on boys)
[name_u]Eden[/name_u] (also like on boys)
[name_u]Ellison[/name_u] (also like on boys)
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u] (prefer on boys)
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] (prefer on boys)
[name_u]Indy[/name_u] (also like on boy)
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] (prefer on boy)
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] (also like on boy)
[name_u]Nova[/name_u]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] (prefer on boy)
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] (prefer on boy)
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u] (also like on boy)
[name_u]Sloan[/name_u] (also like on boy)

So to sum it up…I don’t think there are any traditional boys names I like on girls, and I tend to prefer unisex names on boys anyways

I don’t like the boy names on girls trend. It makes it difficult to find solely masculine names for boys. I love soft sounding names for boys, but now they aren’t seen as “masculine enough.” [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is still on my boys list, but sadly [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] is not, because I felt like it was getting too popular for girls.

Minority here on nameberry, but i LOVE boy names on a girls. I find them so fun and beautiful. I especially love boy nicknames for girls. For example [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], [name_u]Billie[/name_u], [name_u]Stevie[/name_u], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] etc

I don’t really like it, but my taste in girl names is generally “the longer and more feminine, the better”, which I know a lot of people don’t like. [name_m]Just[/name_m] heard aloud, my first name could be a boy name, and my middle is definitely a boy name, so as a woman, there’s a lot of confusion sometimes. It drove me crazy as kid, automatically being put with the boys when I just wanted to be a girl lol. And as someone else already mentioned, a lot of the boy names I like are softer sounding, and are now being used more and more for girls, so I’m afraid that my hypothetical children would go through the same frustrations that I went/go through. That being said, there are always exceptions. There are some girl names with boy nicknames that I’m pretty fond of.

I’ve gone back and forth on the trend in my time as a name nerd, eventually doing a full three-sixty. I loved a lot of them when I started making extended lists when I was around 13-14 but when I joined Nameberry, they were often frowned upon or just not the style of the majority of berries on the site. Around 2017, I realized that I still liked a lot of them, even when I tried not to. Now, I embrace a lot of boy names/unisex names on girls (as well as girl names/unisex names on boys) and I have quite a few names that occupy spots on my girl and boy lists: [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_u]Paxton[/name_u]/[name_u]Pax[/name_u], [name_u]Kai[/name_u], [name_u]Finley[/name_u], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], and [name_m]Adler[/name_m] to name a few.