Opinions on Kellan and calling baby by middle name

See the results of this poll: What do you think of Kellan

Respondents: 33 (This poll is closed)

• Kellan is girly : 4 (10%)
  • Kellan is trendy : 8 (21%)
  • Kellan is a great boy’s name : 20 (51%)
  • Use it as a middle name: 7 (18%)

I like [name]Kellan[/name]. It could be feminine but I think it’s one of the few truly unisex names out there. Personally, I wouldn’t use it in the middle if you’re going to call him [name]Kellan[/name] all the time anyway, I’d just name him [name]Kellan[/name]. I’m not trying to be rude in any way but I wasn’t raised Catholic so the idea of letting your priest have a say in the name is baffling to me… If you want him to have a patron saint why not use [name]Kellan[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]? I think that’s very handsome. Does a saint’s name always have to be the first name?

Thanks for your opinion! It’s a Catholic tradition to have at least one saint’s name in the Baptismal name so the child can grow to imitate that saint in their love of God and have them as a special protector. Some priests are stricter about names than others.

I really like [name]Kellan[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]. I love the name [name]Joseph[/name], but I would put it in the middle name spot. What does picky mean? I’m assuming the priest would baptize him regardless, so I would just choose the name you like best. That being said, I have a cousin who has gone through life being called her middle name, and it’s been no problem at all for her. I was in my late teens before I realized that her first name was not the name I knew her by.

Oh, and I don’t think that [name]Kellan[/name] will be confused with all those trendy “[name]Kayden[/name]” names. It’s is a strong name that has existed for a long, long time.

Best of luck!

I love [name]Kellan[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]!

Check out parentsconnect.com and put “[name]Kellen[/name]” in the baby names search. There are some comments from adults named [name]Kellen[/name] and what they think of the name -if you’re interested.

[name]Kellen[/name] does sound a bit feminine to me -probably because it rhymes with [name]Hellen[/name].

Regarding using the middle name… a friend’s son has the same first name as his father and grandfather & so goes by his mn to avoid confusion in the family. The only “problem” she’s reported to me was dropping him off in his classroom on his first day of school and seeing that the teacher had made name tags for all the kids’ desks, lockers etc. and his had his fn on everything. She had to ask that the teacher change all her hard work for her son. The teacher obliged, though, and she said there’s been no problem since. :slight_smile:

Oh… and are you a Twilight fan? Apparently (I didn’t know this until I looked up the name), [name]Kellan[/name] is the name of the actor who played [name]Emmett[/name] [name]Cullen[/name] -the famous [name]Edward[/name]'s brother. You may get some comments fromr Twilight fans.

What a great site. Thanks lilysong!

I like [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Kellan[/name] or [name]Kellan[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]. I’m not Catholic, but am frankly envious when it comes to all of those saints names. So much great names with great stories to choose from!

As far as the priests helping choose names, I don’t think it’s that different then all of the governments that have lists of approved names or lists of names you can’t use.

[name]Kellan[/name] is a little trendy because it fits that “bell tone” like [name]Evan[/name], [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Aidan[/name], etc. but I wouldn’t lump it into the rhymes with [name]Aidan[/name] crowd. I wouldn’t lump it into girls names either. I just see it as a soft masculine name which are very popular right now. If I was a teacher assuming the sex of the child I would put a question mark by it. Some do see it as feminine so if this bothers you put [name]Joseph[/name] in front.

I’ve known boys in school who went by their middle names. I never even bothered to ask, I just assumed their first names were the same as their father’s. It was only obvious after we got our photos from picture day and it would list their first name. I don’t think they ever had too much of a problem.

Calling someone by their middle name can lead to some problems like what to put on various records (the aforementioned school photos) and when someone of authority asks what his name is. You can teach him to say, “I’m [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Kellan[/name], please call me [name]Kellan[/name].”

As far as which name to put in front, I really have no opinion on that. It’s a great name either way.

Thanks for your well worded and thoughtful opinion, bettyblowtorch! Somebody actually pointed me to an Irish abbot, St. [name]Callan[/name] that the name [name]Kellan[/name] is supposedly derived from. Who knew?!

My brother goes almost exclusively by his middle name and it’s never been a hassle (except within the family, long sorry). I think [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Kellen[/name] sounds great and very handsome and masculine.