Opinions on Leith?

We are having a boy and really love this name and keep coming back to it, however we’ve had some mixed reactions to the name.

So we’re still a bit on the fence about it.

We would pronounce it [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-th, not [name_m]Keith[/name_m] with an L.

His sisters are named [name_f]Kenna[/name_f] and [name_f]Milena[/name_f].

Before I saw how to, I automatically pronounced it like [name_m]Keith[/name_m], and imagine that would be a common problem.

I don’t think it fits with his sisters names, which are very pretty!

If you want to pronounce it [name_m]Layth[/name_m] you will have some serious issues with this spelling. I wouldn’t use it, since I can’t really think of another spelling that will help people intuitively find the right pronunciation.

What about [name_u]Rafe[/name_u]?

I like [name_u]Leith[/name_u]. If you’re worried about people reading it like [name_m]Keith[/name_m] with an L, how about spelling it [name_m]Laith[/name_m] instead?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of the [name_m]Laith[/name_m] spelling but I really like that and it makes me like the name.

Leith does just look like [name_m]Keith[/name_m] to me. It’s a name I’ve always wanted to like but never quite can. [name_m]Laith[/name_m] freshens it up for me!

1 Like

I like it, and I think it fits with your girls’ names, but [name_f]Kenna[/name_f] and [name_u]Leith[/name_u] together feels like you’re snagging characters from [name_u]Reign[/name_u].

1 Like

I quite like it. There’s something very distinctive about the sounds

I agree with pp- if you want different pronunciation, maybe a different spelling would be better.
I think current spelling and preferred pronunciation will set up for a lot of pronunciation issues.

Hi there.

I really like it! And I knew it was [name_u]Leith[/name_u] somehow. I’ve never heard it in real life, but then again, I am a huge name nerd! It’s perfect w/your girls’ names. Short, sweet, slightly exotic, kind & smart. Also, it’s very unique. It may get mispronounced occasionally, but it’s worth it for such a beautiful name. I have nephews called M@lachy, Se@mus, Cilli@n & E@mon (oldest brother is [name_u]Li[/name_u]@m; people get his name!). They get mispronounced sometimes, but not often enough that it makes them unhappy w/their special unique names.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I love [name_u]Leith[/name_u]!

Rafe would be such a good name but since I’m in the medical field I can never see it as anything other than the perineal rafe/raphe. I’d explain what it is but I’ll leave it up to anyone that wants to google it :sweat_smile:

I love [name_u]Leith[/name_u]! It’s actually on my long list, I think it’s so handsome and soft, with some strength to it too! I also think it fits in nicely with [name_f]Kenna[/name_f] and [name_f]Milena[/name_f], with being unexpected but still familiar enough.
I agree with other posters that there will probably be some pronunciation issues from others, as I’m sure most people would say it as [name_m]Keith[/name_m] with an L. I love the suggestion of [name_m]Laith[/name_m], if you don’t want to have to deal with correcting people!!

It’s probably my accent but it sounds like the word ‘late’ when I say it.

Who’s [name_u]Leith[/name_u]? sounds like I’m saying who’s late?

I like the option of spelling it as “[name_m]Laith[/name_m]” otherwise I think it would be mispronounced a lot. Like the name though!!

I said lay-th and actually struggled to say it like [name_m]Keith[/name_m] with an L, so I think it works! I also think it works with your daughter’s names. I like it!

I work in an area called [name_u]Leith[/name_u] (said like [name_m]Keith[/name_m]) that has a very mixed reputation and that’s l I think about when I see it. To me, it’s a place name, and I’m not really a fan of place names.

As for the pronunciation, I think you would forever be correcting it if you don’t intend on it rhyming with [name_m]Keith[/name_m]. Have you considered [name_m]Laith[/name_m] instead?

Agree with this completely.

I like it. I pronounced it the way you said, because I assumed it was similar in sound to [name_m]Leif[/name_m] ([name_m]Erikson[/name_m]). I didn’t even consider the [name_m]Keith[/name_m] conundrum and I’m sure people would get it if they are corrected.

I like it! I went to school with a boy called [name_u]Leith[/name_u], pronounced the same way and it was never an issue.

Good luck!

I feel like I’m saying leaf with a lisp, so I’m not a huge fan of [name_u]Leith[/name_u]. But it’s pretty uncommon, and I strongly prefer less popular names. So if you love it, go for it!