Opinions on LYRA?

Really like this name for our first baby due in [name]January[/name] next year if it’s a girl. My first thought about [name]Lyra[/name] Belacqua from [name]Philip[/name] Pullman’s His Dark Materials, which are books that I love, so that’s not a problem.

I think it’s a really pretty, simple name.

What do you think of it?

I love [name]Lyra[/name]! She is a great character to be named after, too. I would totally use it!

I love [name]Lyra[/name]! My one hang-up with [name]Lyra[/name] is [name]Philip[/name] Pullman’s novels–religiously, I have issues with the series–but I realize not everyone does, and if it doesn’t bother you, I think [name]Lyra[/name] is great. I would love to meet a little [name]Lyra[/name].

I love it! [name]Love[/name] my own name. ^-^

My OH wants to use this for our baby, but I’m not keen on the sound of it, though I do like all the connections. Not sure what it is that puts me off though, maybe the word ‘lie’ in it, though I’m not usually bothered by things like that.

I loved the name when I saw it in Pullman’s books. The connection to the character would stop me from using it, even though I enjoyed the series, but if it doesn’t bother you go for it.

I love [name]Lyra[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] the name.

So so on the series.

Bit troubled that it sounds so much like liar.

I thought it was pronounced [name]Lee[/name]-ra? Either way, it can sound like leery or liar, so you have to decide if that bothers you. I personally wouldn’t use it because of the books.

I think its a pretty name!

I haven’t read the books, but I think of the constellation when I hear the name…and [name]Vega[/name] of [name]Lyra[/name] is one of my favorite stars.

Well, in the movie it’s pronounced lie-ruh.

I know a Lira who pronounces her name leer-uh.

I’ve always been torn over pronouncing it “Leer-a” or “Lie-ra” but I like the sounds of both. If you want something that everyone automatically knows how to pronounce, this might not be it. Maybe give it a few Starbucks tests?

I read the first [name]Philip[/name] Pullman book, but didn’t finish the series. I don’t associate this name all that strongly with the main character, and it doesn’t increase or decrease my like of the name. Gets the thumbs-up from me :slight_smile:

i love the name! It is one of my top picks for a girl!

Haha Starbucks tests - might just do that! I never thought of pronnouncing it [name]Lee[/name]-ra, I think that’s OK though. I also love the constellation connection! Such a beautiful name. :slight_smile: