Opinions on Margaret?

I’m getting mixed reactions on the name [name]Margaret[/name]. Is it too old lady-ish, or is it young and spunky? NN would be [name]Greta[/name]…or should I just use that name instead?

[name]Margaret[/name] is an old family name for me and I have both an aunt and cousin named [name]Margaret[/name]. That being said, I am truthfully very bored with this name. I am a big fan of old fashioned names, but this one is very tired to me and lacks inspiration. On the other hand, I find [name]Greta[/name] alone to be very young and spunky, as you mentioned that’s what you’re looking for, so I would skip [name]Margaret[/name] and go with [name]Greta[/name] on its own.

I love it- it’s classic and strong and ages well, with adorable nn options, of which my favorites are [name]Meg[/name] and [name]Maisie[/name]. I would definitely use it!

I love [name]Margaret[/name]! It’s a very steady classic, but not nearly as common as [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Katherine[/name]. I love the potential for tons of nicknames. The advantage to using [name]Greta[/name] as a nickname rather than a full name is that she can choose to switch diminutives- maybe little [name]Greta[/name] grows up and decides she’d rather be called [name]Maggie[/name] or [name]May[/name].

[name]Don[/name]'t like it much but that’s because all my aunts and the oldies had this name, love [name]Margot[/name] though. I can see it in a vintage combo in the mn spot.

I love [name]Margaret[/name] - it is timeless but not overly common and there are SO many nickname possibilities you really can’t go wrong.

I love [name]Margaret[/name], it’s such a solid classic. I literally know Margarets of all ages-- baby, kid, teenager, adult, old lady, and it’s wonderful on all of them. I like [name]Greta[/name], but [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Greta[/name] is much better.

[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Margaret[/name] and she has so many fantastic nicknames (besides [name]Greta[/name], which I love) like [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Meg[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], & [name]May[/name] . . .

I love [name]Margaret[/name], nn [name]Greta[/name]. It’s a winner.

[name]Margaret[/name] is one of the best names out there… And not just because it’s my name! :slight_smile: It has an endless amount of nickname possibilities… If you don’t like one, there are three more you’ll love. I would definitely advise you to use [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Greta[/name]. There’s always that chance that your daughter might want a different name when she grows up and with the name [name]Margaret[/name], she could choose from a variety of nicknames. Good luck!