Opinions on my Top 10!

Inspired by @keelee

What are your opinions, thoughts, and vibes from my top 10 boys and girls names?

Girls:

1. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
  6. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
  7. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
  8. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
  9. [name_f]Emma[/name_f]
  10. [name_u]Esme[/name_u]

Boys:

1. [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
  2. [name_u]James[/name_u]
  3. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
  4. [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
  5. [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
  6. [name_u]William[/name_u]
  7. [name_u]Christian[/name_u]
  8. [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
  9. [name_u]Michael[/name_u]
  10. [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]

I would say your style is very traditional and familiar, which I like! I have very similar names on my list, especially the feminine names.

I would say the girls have classic vibes, with an elegant feeling to the list as a whole: I think the royal family names and less-common vintage choices like [name_u]Esme[/name_u] give it that elegant vibe. Being classic, I think all of the names have a pretty versatile feeling, I can see them fitting any personality. They make me think of vintage dresses and old-fashioned bicycles, hair ribbons and old leather-bound books. Yet I can also see them as modern young soccer players with grass-stained knees and messy, sweaty ponytails. These are the main images that come to mind, but really I think these names could fit anybody, which I appreciate.

For the boys, they also feel classic and traditional! I think they feel very grounded and solid, probably because they’re slightly more retro rather than vintage like some of the girls. I feel like I’d have the urge to nickname all of them, as they all lend themselves easily to great nickname options. I would say your boys’ names are also very versatile, clearly fitting any personality or age. I think they also pair nicely with your girls’ names.

1 Like

It feels extremely classic. I personally appreciate [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is nice too.
The boy names are not really my taste, but if I had to choose I guess [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] would be the choice then.

1 Like
  1. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] → classic, regal and strong
  2. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] → bright, international and solid
  3. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] → literary, timeless, good nickname potential
  4. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] → it’s got an understated grandeur and elegance, versatile and charming
  5. [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] → classic and strong with a hint of the musical
  6. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] → literary, clunky-but-elegant
  7. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] → classic, spiky and regal
  8. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] → strong but sweet, distinctive but grounded, lovely name
  9. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] → solid, versatile and international, but a tiny bit bland (for me, sorry)
  10. [name_u]Esme[/name_u] → elegant but punch, bright and stylish

1. [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] → classic and strong but with soft sounds and great nickname potential
  2. [name_u]James[/name_u] → solid and classic and versatile, but like [name_f]Emma[/name_f], it feels very bland (to me)
  3. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] → strong but gentle, a hint of poetry, I like how it has sort of intuitive, versatile nicknames (Tom, [name_u]Tommy[/name_u], [name_m]Taz[/name_m], Moss)
  4. [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] → it’s okay; I like how you don’t hear it too often these days; strong and classic with a bit of ruggedness. I like [name_u]Drew[/name_u] too
  5. [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] → it’s okay. [name_m]Classic[/name_m] and solid and safe but very popular and I don’t love the ‘liver’ bit
  6. [name_u]William[/name_u] → classic and regal, but a bit ‘sticky’ in terms of sound (I think this is a purely me problem). Cool nickname potential though and very versatile (Wilkie, [name_u]Will[/name_u], and [name_u]Billy[/name_u] are cool)
  7. [name_u]Christian[/name_u] → elegant and sophisticated in sound; I do get a bit distracted that it does label someone as a particular religion :person_shrugging: that might appeal to you though
  8. [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] → charming and elegant, fun nicknames, great sound
  9. [name_u]Michael[/name_u] → it’s okay. Solid and familiar
  10. [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] → bright, sweet and energetic, but elegant too
1 Like

I think your list is so classic and sweet!! I would break it up into three groups: Grand, Sweet, and Spunky !! (This is all totally personal preference / thoughts, so take it with a grain of salt!!)

Grand: [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_u]William[/name_u], [name_u]Christian[/name_u], [name_u]Michael[/name_u]

Sweet: [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_u]Esme[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m], [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]

Spunky: [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]

1 Like

beautiful and classic! my favorites are elizabeth, anna, caroline, and lucy, and james, thomas, oliver, and william 🫶🏼

1 Like

Girls:

1. Elizabeth : I love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. It’s my favorite classic name. [name_f]Gorgeous[/name_f] in its full form, and has plenty of nicknames to fit different people’s style. 10/10
  2. Anna : [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is also beautiful. I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is sweet, but has a toughness to her. [name_m]Wonderful[/name_m] choice. 10/10
  3. Catherine : This is a pretty and classic name, but just isn’t my style. There is nothing bad to say about it, but it just doesn’t do anything for me either. 6/10 but I realize that’s just personal preference, not a problem with the name.
  4. Charlotte : I loved this name so much when I was a kid, and loved how old-fashioned and unused it was. Then by the time I was in my twenties it started climbing the charts, and I started to get a bit tired of it. But I still think it’s beautiful and old-fashioned, and I wish [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] would get some love. 8/10
  5. Caroline : A name I would never use myself, but I would also be enthusiastic if a friend said they had chosen it for their child. It’s so pretty and old-fashioned. 8/10
  6. Josephine : I’m not a fan, but it’s because of a personal association, so I don’t feel I can be fair to this name. I do have a niece named [name_f]Josie[/name_f] and I like that a lot. 5/10 but it’s from a negative personal association
  7. Victoria : I don’t like this. I have never found myself able to see the appeal. I also don’t like [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] or [name_f]Tori[/name_f] in any spelling. 3/10
  8. Lucy : It’s cute. It doesn’t fit my style, but I see what people like it. 6/10
  9. Emma : So pretty! I think this is still a gorgeous name, even with all the popularity. I just find [name_f]Emma[/name_f] so sweet and smart and lovable. 10/10
  10. Esme : I don’t get it. It’s very off to me. 2/10

Boys:

1. Benjamin : Very handsome classic name. I love it so much! Especially without a nickname. 10/10
  2. James : [name_m]Eh[/name_m]. I just don’t like it. I don’t know why, but it seems weird. 3/10
  3. Thomas : I love [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. I love [name_m]Tom[/name_m] and [name_m]Tommy[/name_m] also. It’s an awesome name! 10/10
  4. Andrew : Bad association. I can’t fairly judge it. 1/10
  5. Oliver : It’s cute but not my style. 6/10
  6. William : I’ve recently rediscovered my love for [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Will[/name_m]. I like it!! 8/10
  7. Christian : I feel like the religious connotation always throws me off. Bible names don’t bother me, but the actual name of the religion seems weird. 4/10
  8. Jonathan : So handsome. I think [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] is great! 10/10
  9. Michael : [name_m]Handsome[/name_m], and I like it, but I don’t love it. 7/10
  10. Gabriel : I want to like this, but I just don’t. And I don’t like [name_m]Gabe[/name_m] either. It’s just meh. 5/10
1 Like

oh my goodness I adore these lists! So many favourites on there :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]: Although [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is my personal favourite, I do have a soft spot for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - so feminine, classic and strong! The only reason she’s not on my list is that I do not enjoy nns [name_f]Libby[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] or [name_f]Beth[/name_f] - if I could guarantee my child would always be [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], she’d be a very strong contender!
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]: Yes, yes, yes; one of my top names of all time and one I’d use in a heartbeat. [name_m]Easy[/name_m] to spell, girly but strong, ballerina namesake - this name might be boring to some but for me she just has everything :two_hearts:
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]: Another perfect gem and top [name_f]Mary[/name_f] pick, although I’d go with the [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] spelling because my preferred nicknames are [name_m]Kit[/name_m] and [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]!
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]: [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is a little bland to me because I know so many, but in terms of nicknames I absolutely adore [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], and I think [name_m]Charlie[/name_m] on a girl is quite fun too.
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]: I adore [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] - weighty, elegant and just the right amount of princessy! I’d hesitate to use her over here (UK) because she’s seen as quite middle-aged and dated, but I think she’s much more popular for children where you are (I think US?).
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]: Unfortunately not my favourite - she feels quite heavy and clunky to me - but I do enjoy the fun [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_m]Green[/name_m] Gables vibe of [name_f]Josie[/name_f].
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]: I adore her in her full, elegant form, but I truly don’t like the nickname [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] and I feel like four syllables is a lot of name when you don’t like the obvious nickname.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]: Not my favourite; to me she feels a bit light and childish, and I always remember being taught ‘righty tighty lefty loosey!’
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]: She does feel a little bland to me, but I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f] Austen’s novel of the same name so much that this name has a special place in my heart.
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]: I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f], so sweet and gentle and soft! The only reason I’d hesitate is the confusion of the ‘mee’ vs ‘may’ pronunciation.
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]James[/name_m] & [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]: Three of my top favourites; such sweet, strong, classic choices. I’d use any of these in a heartbeat :heartbeat:
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]: [name_f]My[/name_f] initial reaction was that this is a middle age dad name, but just thinking about it a baby [name_m]Andy[/name_m] would be absolutely adorable…
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]: I’ve always loved the gentle strength of this name, but I’ve sometimes wondered if it would be strange to use him given how much I despise olives?! I’m also not a fan of nn [name_f]Ollie[/name_f].
[name_m]William[/name_m]: Another top [name_f]Mary[/name_f] favourite, [name_m]Will[/name_m] is the first name I remember loving as a child. If I ever have a son, I think this would be the name to meet. 10/10 no notes.
[name_m]Christian[/name_m]: I enjoy the gentle masculine sound, but I’ve always found the idea of naming a child after a religion a little off putting? Either way it’s a gooooooorgeous sound!
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]: I love the gentleness of this name, and I think he’s the right balance of familiar and rare, but I’m slightly put off by the fact that I’m close to a (lovely!) [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] who despises his name. It’s not for any particular reason so I think this is just a weird hang up he has, but there ya go :joy:
[name_m]Michael[/name_m]: A little bland but perfectly inoffensive - I imagine a [name_m]Michael[/name_m] as a little boy from an [name_f]Enid[/name_f] Blyton boarding-school book?
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] - [name_m]Perfect[/name_m], stunning, gorgeous; I’ve recently become obsessed (I know siblings [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m], how perfect is that set?!).
Overall a stunning set; I love [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]James[/name_m], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] :heart_eyes:

1 Like