Opinions on Nixon?

Opinions on using [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] as a first name? It would be used as an honor name, as it is my mother’s maiden name. If you like it, what middle name would you pair it with?

I think it’s a great name since it has special significance! I don’t think the association with the former president even matters.

I’d probably choose a more common middle name to pair with it that you really love maybe without a family connection to be totally unique in your family :smiley:

1 Like

If you’re in the US, not as a first name. It’s way too associated with the corrupt president.

If you’re in another country, it’s pretty cool sounding! I’d pair it with something short and classic.

Nixon [name_m]Paul[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Gabe[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m]

6 Likes

It has the unfortunate connection with the only US [name_m]President[/name_m] to have resigned from office in disgrace, and given that presidential surnames are kind of a thing right now, my mind would go right to the pres. I don’t think it’s an insurmountable connection, though, especially if it’s a family name. But expect people to notice.

I think I prefer [name_f]Nix[/name_f] or [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] nn [name_f]Nix[/name_f].

I would want to pair it with a traditional middle name. [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], et al. Maybe not [name_m]Richard[/name_m] tho… :grinning:

3 Likes

I think it’s very tied to the president and surrounding scandal, but I do know a young [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] and it ranked in the 500s last year in the US, so clearly it’s being used! I think if you explain to people it’s a family name, you can avoid the presidential connection a bit more.

I would use a classic or well-established modern middle name, like…
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Cole[/name_m]

1 Like

Are you in the US? If so, I fear the connection to the disgraced former president is overpowering. It’s too bad though, going from the sound it’s like [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] but for [name_u]Nick[/name_u]! And it makes you think of your mother, which is a positive association—but I worry it would make others think of [name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m], who is not someone I would want my child associated with.
I’m curious on how berries outside of the US will weigh in on this.

1 Like

It does feel awfully connected to the president. I think [name_f]Nyx[/name_f] might be a more subtle choice, but if it’s a family name, you could manage using it.

1 Like

I am in the US, but I’m not sure my generation would associate the name with the [name_m]President[/name_m]. Maybe the older generations would? I know people used to ask my Mom if she was related to “that good for nothing president” but that was back in the 70s and 80s.

I’m in the US and I just turned 20. I think it is definitely too tied to the president in a negative way. I don’t know much about presidents but we did learn a lot about him, even in gen [name_m]Ed[/name_m] history. Maybe it could work as a middle.

2 Likes

Not American but live in [name_u]America[/name_u]! I associated with [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] right away but I lack any sense of knowing about former politics so I didn’t even know he left office so shamelessly :joy::joy:

I think your allowed to use the name however given how names such as [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] and [name_m]Jefferson[/name_m] are so acceptable! I think ultimately it would make a cute first name as I don’t like it as a middle given that it’s a last name and can bring up confusion! If it’s your mothers name I suggest saving it for a little girl and naming her [name_f]Nixie[/name_f] as an alternative to honoring the name? But other than that [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] is a cute an original boy name that I would pair with:

Nixon [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] (mentioned and I adore it)
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Claude[/name_u]

2 Likes

I like that it is a personally very meaningful family name to you so I think you should use it, but maybe in the middle spot? I’m not in the U.S. but the former president’s connection does immediately come to mind. Otherwise, if it feels like “the one” for you because of family connection I think you could still use it as a first name.

Nixon [name_u]Davis[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Breck[/name_m]

1 Like

I really think if the president but that might only be a problem I’m the u.s. If not for the president I would like the name since it sounds rather neat.

1 Like

It’s too tied to the president for me.

1 Like

Unfortunately I think [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] is too tied to the president, I’m sorry. I’m in my early twenties, and my niece is a teenager, and we both still associate the name with the president. [name_f]My[/name_f] niece isn’t into US history much, but I think presidents play such a big part in our education it’s hard to forget the important ones.
I don’t think it makes the name completely unusable, but I do think most people (at least in the US) would immediately associate the name with [name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m]. A lot of people would probably assume he was named after the president, which is not something I would personally want. (I love the name [name_u]Reagan[/name_u], and it has meaning for me, but I would never consider it for that same reason!)

However, because it is your mother’s maiden name, I think it would make a perfect middle!! I think the meaning behind it alone is enough to include it, just maybe not as a first in my opinion, I’m sorry!

I do like the suggestions of [name_f]Nix[/name_f]/Nyx and [name_f]Nixie[/name_f]!! there’s also [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] nn [name_f]Nix[/name_f]!
Good luck!! :blush:

4 Likes

As a first name in the US, it has too much negative association to the former president. I wouldn’t want my child to remind people of a crooked president. But as a middle name I think it works. Or [name_u]Nick[/name_u], [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m], even [name_f]Nix[/name_f].

1 Like

I feel like it’s too associated with the president but it would make a great middle.

Nixon [name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Nixon[/name_m] [name_m]Linus[/name_m]

1 Like

Please don’t apologise, I appreciate your opinion. Thank you for being so sweet :blush:

1 Like

I think this name carries a great deal of baggage in [name_u]America[/name_u], if that’s where you live.

1 Like

Great as a middle name. Not usable, imo, as a first name

1 Like

I’d say yes to [name_f]Nix[/name_f] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] nn [name_f]Nix[/name_f] as a first name, yes to [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] as a middle, no to [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] as a first name.

2 Likes