Opinions on the name Minami Rose?

Minami means “south” in Japanese
[name]Rose[/name] means “rose” in English

I know an adorable half Japanese & half American girl named Minami and she told me that it means beautiful wave in Japanese. Minami reminds me of her. I think it’s a nice name if you want to honour your Japanese heritage. Minami [name]Rose[/name] sounds pretty. Good luck!

I’m not Japanese. I just like the name.

Well, Minami sounds totally Japanese to me (maybe because I can speak Japanese), so I think people might think your daughter is Japanese. If you’re ok with it and love the name, go for it!:slight_smile:

I think it’s very pretty.

However, I’ll let you know that with just a quick glance at the title, I thought it said [name]Miami[/name] [name]Rose[/name].

I agree that Minami [name]Rose[/name] is very prety. Like @dantea, I saw [name]Miami[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (and even [name]Naomi[/name] [name]Rose[/name]) beore I saw Minami, though…

The meaning of the name changes with the kanji that you use. The little girl mentioned above would have been using the kanji 美波 which is ‘Mi’ meaning beautiful and ‘nami’ meaning wave. Minami can also mean south, if you’re using the kanji for south.
I love the sound of it in Japanese but fear it would sound a little different in English. Something also to note is that in Japan, Minami is mostly a last name (using the kanji for south) so that’s something to keep in mind.

All the best!

Although I think Minami [name]Rose[/name] is pretty, at my first initial glance, I thought of the character [name]Mini[/name]-Me in the [name]Austin[/name] [name]Powers[/name] films and then [name]Miami[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. My eyes play tricks on me sometimes! :slight_smile:

This is exactly what I thought. I have never heard the name though.

I think it’s really pretty! It does look like [name]Miami[/name] at first glance, but that’s not a terrible name either. For the longest time I though Amakaze was perfect even though I am white as well, so I know how you feel about that :slight_smile:

Me too!! I totally saw [name]Miami[/name] and thought waahhhh. Its pretty when you understand it. Is there another Japanese name you favour?

I think its really really pretty.

I also saw [name]Miami[/name] at first, and I’m sure she would get that from people. [name]How[/name] is it pronounced?

But if you like it, use it!

Exactly how it’s spelled mee-nah-mee. Japanese names are (generally) pretty straight forward pronunciation wise.

I have to say, I really like it, though I wouldn’t use the ‘south’ kanji since that really doesn’t give it much meaning. ‘Beautiful wave’ sounds like a much more appealing kanji choice. [name]Mina[/name] would make for a cute nickname as well. [name]Rose[/name] is a bit of a filler-y middle but it dose sound lovely here.

So did I. Sounds pretty though.