Opinions on this name?

[name]Sapphira[/name]: wdyt? Would it be better spelled differently, i.e. [name]Saphira[/name], [name]Safira[/name], [name]Saffira[/name], Safirah etc. I like the nn Saffy so I’d want to keep the “Sa” beginning.
Thanks!
~ Fuzzy :slight_smile:

I’m glad to hear that someone is paying attention to this name! It has pretty grown up on me, personally I think it sweet and exotic, but is also has a vintage feel. I don’t know If I would use it like a first name, but it would work like a middle for something cool and classic, like [name]Clementine[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name].

I prefer it spelled [name]Safira[/name] or [name]Saphira[/name], I think that the simpler version is always the better, but with a name as beautiful as this everything works! [name]Don[/name]'t you like the [name]Saphire[/name] variation? I think that [name]Sapphira[/name]/[name]Safira[/name]/[name]Saphira[/name] is stronger and much more interesting, but [name]Saphire[/name] migth be more usuable, as it hasn’t as many asociation…
I’ve seen this name spelled [name]Zafira[/name], but I don’t like as much as the “s” variation.

Would you use it like a first or like a middle name?

P.S: I love the bunny on your signature!

[name]Pilar[/name].

Is this pronounced sa-PHERE-ah or sa-[name]FIRE[/name]-ah? I think that changes my perception of the name.

Leonielee, It is pronounced sa-FEER-uh.
I prefer [name]Sapphira[/name], because [name]Saphira[/name] looks like it is missing a P, based on the spelling of sapphire.
Great name, by the way. I recently wrote about it on my name blog because I had it on my own list for a while. I was going to use it if I had a baby born in [name]September[/name].

Hey [name]Pilar[/name]!
Well first of all I was thinking of it as a first name, with the nickname Saffy. I agree with you that it sounds cute and interesting, yet beautiful and timeless. I like the simplicity of [name]Safira[/name] and [name]Saphira[/name] as well, but since the gem sapphire is spelled with two p’s
it might be better that way… Not sure. Anyway, I do also like [name]Saphire[/name]/[name]Sapphire[/name] although it is pronounced a little differently. It may seem a little stripperish though… [name]Zafira[/name] is also cool but harder to nickname. Oh, and I love the bunny too!
~ Fuzzy

I think it’s a pretty name, and definitely fresh. I love sapphires, so it brings up images of a pile of the gems, too.

The only misgiving I have about it is that it is used in the New Testament, and the woman who was named this was struck down dead for lying to God and the church to make herself look better. (Basically she and her husband sold some land, got some money, and decided to keep some of it, which would have been fine, had they not made a presentation of the “total” to their congregation with the intention of basking in the glory of being so selfless and generous when they weren’t really quite that generous at all. What I always got from the story was they would have been fine if they had just donated half and kept half, but it’s the whole lying about it and trying to impress everyone is what got them in trouble, and [name]Sapphira[/name] and her husband [name]Ananias[/name] were both killed for it.)

It is pretty but all I can think about is the woman in the NT. sorry :confused:

I think it’s a beautiful name, and I prefer it spelled [name]Sapphira[/name].

This is a beautiful name and while the negative NT association would hold me back, plenty of people don’t know it and with [name]Delilah[/name] on the rise I’d think this wouldn’t get so many eyebrows raised. [name]Sapphire[/name] is OK too, there are associations though - the author of Push, the novel the movie [name]Precious[/name] was based off of - not negative at all, but very specific. She took this name though to give a positive spin to the use of the term from a character on [name]Amos[/name] and [name]Andy[/name]: this from urban dictionary: sapphire
A common stereotype–a mouthy and arrogant black woman, often depicted emasculating her inept boyfriend or husband. The name “[name]Sapphire[/name]” derives from a character on the [name]Amos[/name] n’ [name]Andy[/name] show.

Good luck!

I like it!

Personally the NT reference doesn’t bother me; it’s just a story. Most people I know aren’t that big on the Bible and probably have never heard of the fibbing [name]Sapphira[/name]. But why would God strike her dead for making one mistake?? That’s not too cool! Seems pretty un-Godlike.

I don’t really want to seem like a downer, but [name]Sapphira[/name] is the name of the dragon in the Eragon book series. I really love the name, but you might not want to name your child after a fictional dargon.

I prefer [name]Sapphira[/name], it just seems more classy that way. I’ve never heard of the woman in the NT, which probably makes me a bad [name]Christian[/name]. I associate the name with [name]Saphira[/name], the dragon from Eragon, which makes all the more awesome to me. :slight_smile:

Sofira !!! (although people will always think she said [name]Sofia[/name])

It’s not usually my style, but I do like [name]Sapphira[/name].

I saw the movie Eragon when I was pregnant and liked the sound of [name]Saphira[/name] and how it is read but we wanted the nickname [name]Sophie[/name], so we named our little girl Sophira.

[name]Sapphira[/name] is my favourite spelling. The dragon association wouldn’t bother me at all, in fact that would probably encourage me to use it, i’ve no idea what the NT reference is.

I’d say it is pretty unusable in UK due to popular people carrier Vauxhall [name]Zafira[/name] which is prounounced the same way :frowning:

I prefer [name]Saffron[/name], all else being equal. But then, I prefer yellow to blue. :wink: