Opinions please

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],

Hubby and I long off having children. But wanted an opinion on a particular name. We both love [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] as a first name but our last name is Edwards. We both really love the nicknames [name_m]Ned[/name_m] and [name_m]Eddie[/name_m]. The alternatives we’ve discussed are also [name_m]Eamonn[/name_m]/[name_m]Eamon[/name_m] (irish version) or hyphenating the first name, and example would be [name_m]Edmond[/name_m]-[name_m]Alan[/name_m] Edwards. Thoughts? Really want to use [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] but not sure if it’s considered cruel.

Thanks,

This is a personal choice. Some people love names like this- they’re very easy to remember, so some might argue they have “fame potential.” Others might prefer first and last name to be less “matchy.”

My mom’s married name matches her first name very closely (think: [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] [name_m]Jennings[/name_m].) I think she’s fine with that. But of course that’s a bit of a different situation, since it’s her married name…

We actually didn’t see it as a big issue until someone pointed out it might be cruel. I guess we figured because it was [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and not [name_m]Edward[/name_m] it wouldn’t be so bad. Any feedback from anyone is great to consider.

I wouldn’t. I think it’s hard for a child to bear. I’m really sorry, [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is such a beautiful name (as is [name_m]Edward[/name_m]).

I also love [name_m]Eamonn[/name_m]! What’s the Irish pronunciation? I’m also Australian, and I automatically think EE-mon. But perhaps it’s AY-mon? I like both pronunciations.

Irish pronunciation is Ay-mon. I have only heard it pronounced that way. [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] was an olympic swimmer for Australia. We’ve been leaning towards [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] recently because it doesn’t sound like it clashes and sounds good with our other choices for boys which [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m], [name_m]Kristoff[/name_m] and [name_m]Paul[/name_m]. Fav combo at the moment is Eamonn Finlay Edwards

I love [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] too, but I’m sorry to say it is too matchy with your surname. [name_m]Eamonn[/name_m] strikes me as a much better option, plus it sounds great with your potential sibling names.

Would you consider [name_m]Ned[/name_m] as the first name or is this only a nn potential??

It is definitely a personal thing. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] Edwards is too close for me.