Oppinions please

[name]Hi[/name] all, this is my first post here. I’m having my 3rd baby boy and need some advice! My husband and I have always loved the name [name]Leroy[/name], we haven’t used it for the the other 2 boys because we mentioned it to his mum once and she hated it. [name]Just[/name] wondering what other people think? [name]Even[/name] though we love it I don’t want to name my baby something everyone hates!!!

I know one boy named [name]Leroy[/name] and he’s lovely which has made me like it even more. Also should at that we live in Australia.

Other names on our list are [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Seamus[/name].

I like [name]Leroy[/name]. It’s kinda fun. Plus [name]Lee[/name] and [name]Roy[/name] are great nns. I also like [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Seamus[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you mind if I ask what your other two boy’s names are? I am having a hard time finding a boy name I love for baby number two, so I look for new ideas everywhere :wink:

I think it is ok but I go strait to the song “Bad, Bad [name]Leroy[/name] [name]Brown[/name]” which may not be the best association. I think it is also a pretty stereotypical name for African Americans so that might be something to avoid too. I adore [name]Seamus[/name] I just think it is such a beautiful name :slight_smile:

I live in the Southern US. Here [name]Leroy[/name]([name]Lee[/name] [name]Roy[/name]) is very backwoods country hillbilly. Kind of cliche. Some people say [name]Lu[/name]-roy. I really don’t care for that prn either. If you are in the UK, the name may not have the same associations. I would not be worried about his mother not liking a name. My parents didn’t initially like either of my kids names. Now they do. When the baby gets there, no one will fret over it. If you both love it, go for it!!

I like [name]Leroy[/name]. It’s kinda fun. Plus [name]Lee[/name] and [name]Roy[/name] are great nns. I also like [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Seamus[/name].

I’m also in the Southern US and I share the same cliched image as the pp. It just makes me think hillbilly, but I don’t know if you have that association where you are.

Trying not to make that association, I think it has a bouncy sort of sound and could work on the right kind of kid.

Agree with the hillbilly and stereotypical African American sentiments, but if youre in a country where these things dont apply it might still be usable as a mn?

Thanks everyone, I don’t think those sterotypes apply so much here in Australia, but he may want to travel one day, and I think I remember [name]MIL[/name] making the same connections when she said she disliked the name. I don’t know if I’d be brave enough to use it now! Maybe [name]Finn[/name] is our safest option! It also goes well with our Irish surname.

I think of [name]Leroy[/name] from The Jetsons and also a [name]Jim[/name] Croce song “Bad, Bad [name]Leroy[/name] [name]Brown[/name], baddest man in the whole damn town, badder than ol’ [name]King[/name] Kong, meaner than a junkyard dog”. I love that song but I just don’t like “[name]Roy[/name]” as part of a name or by itself.

Oh, I wouldn’t let the stereotypes stop you. I’m also from the southern United States, and the name doesn’t really appeal to me either. More because it seems old fashioned than redneck. But it wasn’t long ago at all that [name]Atticus[/name] seemed hopelessly old fashioned and ridiculous, and now it’s positively popular. I’m willing to bet [name]Leroy[/name] will come back at some point, and then your son will be ahead of the curve. The most important thing in my opinion is that you love the name. So use it! It’s a great name, and you’ll get to shout a name you love every day.