Ora: yay or nay?

We are expecting baby #2 in the next 4 weeks. Since we do not know the gender we have come up with a list of about 6 girl names and 6 boy names to help us in choosing a name once our babe is in our arms. Despite our lists, my husband has a clear favorite on the girl’s side: [name]Ora[/name]. I found it interesting to see it in a recent nameberry blog post so I thought I would see what everyone thinks about the name. I adore the multiple meanings of gold, prayer, and seacoast (my name means “of the sea”) but am concerned it will often be mispelled as “aura”. Another more recent concern is the phonetic association with a migrane symptom. I have a friend who suffers from migranes and the name thus has a negative conotation for her. [name]Do[/name] you think this is a big deal? Other than those concerns, I think it is a beautiful name which sounds great with our surname and our son’s name, not to mention it was on our short list 3 years ago (but we had a son). [name]How[/name] would you reason through this?

I really love it, and I knew a wonderful woman with this name, so it’s always had good memories for me. She was born somewhere around 1900. I have considered it also, but the thing that holds me back is that it’s one letter away from oral. Not sure if it would be a problem, but it does give me pause. I have considered the name Orana (prn o-RAH-nuh) with the nn [name]Ora[/name] or [name]Rana[/name]. Good luck! I would love to hear the other names on your list :slight_smile:

I have to say nay. My first and only thought was its similarity to the word oral, and that’s not an association I would want for my daughter.

[name]Ora[/name] is a family name for me and as much as I love it, I wouldn’t use it just because of the “oral” association.

Thanks so much for your input! I have heard the “oral” association from one other and, like you, wonder if it will be a common issue. I love your suggestion but seem to have a thing for two syllable names. :slight_smile: Our son’s name is [name]Ezra[/name]. Our short lists for baby #2 are: Girls: [name]Opal[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Nava[/name], [name]Ora[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]; Boys: [name]Milo[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Ori[/name], [name]Ari[/name], [name]Sage[/name] and [name]Tavi[/name]. My hubby’s fave boy name is [name]Ori[/name] but I think it has an antagonistic sound to it; not sure why. My faves right now are [name]Opal[/name] and [name]Milo[/name].

Nice names! I have a thing for short names also. [name]Nava[/name] is interesting, and I have a soft spot for [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]. I don’t like [name]Opal[/name], but that is just because I have a bad association with someone with that name. Have you considered [name]Cora[/name] or [name]Nora[/name]? [name]Cora[/name] is one of my favorites, but I can’t use it cause my niece is [name]Nora[/name] :wink: I love your boy names too! I agree that [name]Ori[/name] has an off sound, though I do like [name]Oren[/name]. Of course, my problem with it is the similarity to organ. *sigh Naming would be so much easier if there was no teasing :wink: Good luck! You have two great lists to choose from :slight_smile:

This is such a pretty name in theory. However, having the name [name]Ora[/name] in middle/high school and even later in life might be difficult. We all hope that people will see names as we do and care about their beautiful meanings and musical quality, etc. but the reality is that this name is very similar to the word oral. We may all be mature enough to see past that, but 14 year old boys never will. Your other names are also very beautiful, though. Sorry, I’m trying to word this as tactfully as possible but I think it might’ve come out a bit convoluted.

I know an [name]Ora[/name]. I think its just okay. [name]How[/name] about-
[name]Ora[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Ora[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Ora[/name] [name]Naomi[/name]

Edited for privacy.

I have to say nay because of the oral thing as well

I want to love it, but my concern is [name]Ora[/name] being one letter off from “oral.” Perhaps not the best choice in this day and age…

I saw someone put [name]Nora[/name]. I like the name much better!

I agree with the others, the “oral” thing might be problematic. I think of [name]Rita[/name] [name]Ora[/name] straightaway, too, I don’t know if that’s really a problem or not, but it’s a very strong attachment for me. Would you consider [name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Ora[/name]? I think that’d be adorable!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback; I think it was all constructive and politely. I am relieved to say my hubby has given more thought to the name, after I told him of your concerns, and is less excited about it (although for different reasons). I love the suggestions for [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] but i have a neg association attached to [name]Cora[/name] and my hubby does not care for [name]Nora[/name]. In fact the suggestions got him thinking of all the names he does not like that sound so close to [name]Ora[/name] that he does notlike [name]Ora[/name] anymore; go figure. Thanks again for your help.