Oscar/Oskar

We decided on the name [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]/[name_m]Oskar[/name_m]. Which spelling do you like better?

2 Likes

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. The k feels forced

Depends on middle name for me. If the name is more classic/old-fashioned I would go [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. If more rare/international I’d pick [name_m]Oskar[/name_m].

I personally prefer [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] but the [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] spelling is a lot more common, either way it’s a lovely name :slight_smile:

It depends.

1. Where do you live?
  2. What is your nationality / heritage?
  3. What language(s) do you speak in your home and in your community?

If the answers are (e.g.): the USA, American/Irish, English, then you should probably use [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. If the answers are: Germany, Norwegian, [name_m]German[/name_m]/Norwegian then you should use [name_m]Oskar[/name_m]. It all depends on context!

For example, if I used the name, I would use Óskar because the answers for me are: Iceland, English, English/Icelandic. But for you, [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] might well be the more sensible choice.

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] but both are valid spellings and depending on the surname [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] may be more appropriate. It really just depends.

I love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]/Oskar! I honestly prefer [name_m]Oskar[/name_m]; I love how Nordic/German it feels to me. I would much prefer to meet an [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] to an [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], but both are super lovely. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] does seem easier, but I do prefer my beloved [name_m]Oskar[/name_m]. :heart:

All the best!

I slightly prefer [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] - it looks quirkier and like @ashthedreamer mentioned, Nordic/German. I would probably use [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] where I live so he wouldn’t have to correct people every time. eta: oops, old thread!

1 Like

Oscar/ [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] is the perfect name! Congratulations on making a decision!!! I think both spellings are great but depends where you live or your heritage.