Osric, Alcuin, or Emeric?

Okay!! Thank you all for your input in the last thread! Wow, some truly amazing, original names here!

I’ve sifted through your incredible suggestions, thought a lot, and shared with my husband. We each have a top five and here’s the overlap (names we both love), along with reasons we are hesitant about each. Middle name will probably be double middle Theo Peregrine. Last name is one syllable, starts with R.

[name_m]Osric[/name_m] (our last name is a single syllable and starts with R. Osric Lastname sounds very staccato to my ears)

[name_m]Alcuin[/name_m] (pronounced ALC-win. Hubs’ least favorite as its spelling/pronunciation is not intuitive. I love the odd spelling. Worried it may sound too close to “awkward”)

[name_m]Emeric[/name_m] (we both like it but are worried it sounds like “Emma-Rick”, which sounds silly)

None of the concerns above are dealbreakers, but I’m curious which one may be easier to wear and which one others prefer! Thanks!

3 Likes

I love all 3 of them! :star_struck:

If [name_m]Alcuin[/name_m] is not intuitive, would you be open to [name_m]Alcwin[/name_m]?

I never thought of [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-[name_m]Rick[/name_m] as I pronounce it like [name_f]Em[/name_f]-er-ic

3 Likes

These are all so handsome!
I love [name_m]Osric[/name_m] ([name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]!), but if you don’t like how it sounds with your last name, then it may be reasonable to rule it out.
[name_m]Alcuin[/name_m] is interesting, and I don’t think the pronounciation is too hard, although spelling it when hearing it aloud may be difficult. With my accent it doesn’t sound like “awkward,” but imagining it in a different accent it does sound similar. The ending still seems distinct, but maybe you’d want to try saying both aloud to see how similar they are for you.
[name_m]Emeric[/name_m] is also dashing! It doesn’t sound like “[name_f]Emma[/name_f]-[name_m]Rick[/name_m]” to me, because when I say [name_m]Emeric[/name_m], the second syllable is almost like a half-syllable, if that makes sense.
I think any of these would be great choices for you! [name_m]Alcuin[/name_m] might flow best with an “r” last name, though it really depends, and you seem to have more hesitations about it. [name_m]Emeric[/name_m] seems like the best fit for you guys.

1 Like

Oooo I think my favorite is [name_m]Emeric[/name_m]! And I didn’t notice the ‘[name_f]Emma[/name_f]-[name_m]Rick[/name_m]’ pronunciation. I pronounce it ‘em-er-ic’ with the beginning similar to the name [name_u]Emory[/name_u].

2 Likes

I feel like [name_m]Osric[/name_m] and [name_m]Emeric[/name_m] would flow the same with your last name? Since they both end with -ric.

My personal favorite is [name_m]Osric[/name_m], it was a name I heavily considered using and still like.

I agree with @abby_gail_t on how I would pronounce [name_m]Emeric[/name_m]. I really like this!

1 Like

Emeric is the most wearable.

1 Like

Definitely [name_m]Osric[/name_m]! I love [name_m]Osric[/name_m] and it is totally wearable. Someone I was at uni with has an [name_m]Osric[/name_m] and it’s been on my boy list for a while, though we went with [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] for our son. Besides… [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]!

1 Like

All three are wonderful! I’m thrilled to see someone else love [name_m]Alcuin[/name_m], it’s not one I see on many other peoples’ lists.

Of those three, I think [name_m]Emeric[/name_m] is my favorite. I really love [name_f]Em[/name_f]- names for boys! [name_m]Alcuin[/name_m] is a very close second.

1 Like

I adore [name_m]Osric[/name_m] & [name_m]Emeric[/name_m]! Either one would sound just lovely with middles [name_u]Theo[/name_u] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u].

1 Like

Osric is really cool!

1 Like

Ooh, [name_m]Alcuin[/name_m]! :heart_eyes: Extremely excited to see this on someone’s list, I love it. It has an ancient and slightly fantasy style appeal to me, probably because of its similarity to [name_m]Anduin[/name_m] (LOTR).

Emeric would be my second favourite. Grand and handsome, but approachable. [name_f]My[/name_f] only problem with it is that it’s so close to “emetic”.

Osric is cool and interesting, but I just can’t love the “rick” sound. [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] would be awesome for short, though.

1 Like

I agree [name_m]Alcwin[/name_m]/Alcwyn is preferable to [name_m]Alcuin[/name_m], but as a name I like it

I like [name_m]Emeric[/name_m] and [name_m]Emeric[/name_m] [name_u]Theo[/name_u] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] is really nice. I think of Emeritus sooner than i think of [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-[name_m]Rick[/name_m]

Osric is my least favourite.

1 Like

Great names!

If [name_m]Osric[/name_m] is awkward with the last name, what about [name_m]Oswin[/name_m] or [name_m]Ozias[/name_m]?

Emeric is my favorite of the list. Though I do love a good name for [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]!

1 Like

Ditto. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and helpful responses! I’ve been tallying it up, and it seems pretty even between [name_m]Osric[/name_m] and [name_m]Emeric[/name_m].

BUT NOW hubs and I are also considering [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m], which is very much in the same style as his older sisters’ names, and I LOVE that.

We’ve been testing out each name in our heads for a few days each (or that’s the goal). [name_f]My[/name_f] mind is struggling to make the adjustment and keeps coming back to [name_m]Osric[/name_m] (which I started subconsciously calling him a week ago, and that’s how I got the idea to test the names). Does this mean [name_m]Osric[/name_m] is my favorite name?! How will I know?!

Haha, trying to remember how I ever picked names for our girls!

2 Likes

Osric rocks.

1 Like

I think you know when someone doesn’t like the name and you don’t care it’s still the perfect name for your child. [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] is nice but Osriiiiiiic!

2 Likes

Oooh, I love [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] too! I think I just love your taste in boy names lol [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t go wrong with whichever you choose!

I agree with @standardcrow on how you know the perfect name!

1 Like

My favorite out of your options is [name_m]Emeric[/name_m]. I don’t think it sounds like [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-ric at all and I really doubt anyone would pronounce it like that since it’s pronounced just like it’s spelt.

Alcuin is interesting. I think people will mess up the pronunciation with this spelling, so I would use [name_m]Alcwin[/name_m]. I’m a huge name nerd and I didn’t know how to pronounce this. I thought the c made an s sound at first.

I feel like your last name not flowing with [name_m]Osric[/name_m] might be a deal breaker since they’re going to be said together all the time. However, if it really doesn’t bother you then don’t write it off.

Aurelian is so handsome! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the potential nicknames, and if you don’t have any hesitations about it then use it!