Ottilie question

I hear this name mentioned a lot up in here, and was wondering how exactly it is pronounced!
Is it Ot-tilly or Od-dilly or whaaat? haha thanks!

I think its Ot-tilly but I’m not sure…

I’ve seen this name a lot in posh [name]Brit[/name] newspaper birth announcements. It seems quite ‘in’ with the upper class Brits. It’s pronounced ‘OT-il-ee’. I’ve occasionally seen [name]Ottilia[/name] and [name]Ottiline[/name] as well.

[name]Ah[/name], so beautiful … and yes, it is [name]Ott[/name]-illie. [name]Tilly[/name] is a cute nn, too.

I pronounce it slightly more like oht-[name]TILLY[/name], because I think in a [name]North[/name] American accent the traditional OT-illie, becomes ODD-ily, which sounds so much like Oddly. So I try to emphasize the [name]Tilly[/name] to make the name sound more like it is supposed to.

Great name!

Ya I was wondering because with my accent it sounds like oddly, therefore i never really got the appeal of it.
Thanks!
I can imagine with a posh British accent it sounds a lot better. : )

Yeah, I think everything sounds better with a British accent. I think that a British accent makes any word, from mucus, to rash, to mildew, sound positively elegant. :slight_smile: