Our First Child. Name help please...

My partner and I are currently expecting our fist child due [name]November[/name] 1st. We do not know the gender and are having a hard time agreeing on a name. My name is [name]Danae[/name], my partner is [name]Jessica[/name].

My picks:

[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Tatum[/name] [name]Scout[/name]
[name]Danica[/name] [name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Gretchen[/name] [name]Kristina[/name]

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Theo[/name] [name]Martin[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name] [name]William[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Michael[/name]

[name]Jessica[/name]'s picks:

[name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Eunice[/name]
[name]Adria[/name] [name]Maxine[/name]
[name]Laela[/name] (she insists on this spelling which I abhor) [name]Faye[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Darla[/name] [name]Sloane[/name]

[name]Bryce[/name] [name]Michael[/name]
[name]Seth[/name] [name]Leonard[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name] [name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Troy[/name]
[name]Silas[/name] [name]Charles[/name]

My mom feels she needs input too. Her picks are:

[name]Ashlyn[/name]
[name]Kameron[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]

[name]Greyson[/name]
[name]Phoenix[/name]
[name]Jett[/name]
[name]Isaak[/name]
[name]River[/name]

I have three siblings, [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name]. [name]Jessica[/name] has a brother named [name]Zachary[/name]. We can normally agree on most things, but this is really stumping us. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks Berries!

My picks:

[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Wren[/name]- I love [name]Philippa[/name]! [name]Pippa[/name] is such a cute nn too, if you like nns. I worry that other people will think [name]Philippa[/name] sounds masculine because it is to similar to [name]Philip[/name].
[name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]- I’ve never loved [name]Tallulah[/name], it seems a little to fanciful to me.
[name]Tatum[/name] [name]Scout[/name]- This is very cute and spunky combo, very tom-boyish in a way.
[name]Danica[/name] [name]Sloane[/name]- [name]Danica[/name] feels a little dated to me. I prefer [name]Annika[/name].
[name]Gretchen[/name] [name]Kristina[/name]- [name]Gretchen[/name] is too harsh sounding for my taste. I would suggest [name]Ingrid[/name], it is a little softer and more timeless.

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Jasper[/name]- So cute and original.
[name]Theo[/name] [name]Martin[/name]- I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Theo[/name].
[name]Gordon[/name] [name]Henry[/name]- [name]Gordon[/name] is cool, hip and unexpected. I like it.
[name]Eamon[/name] [name]William[/name]- Not sure about the flow, but I like both names.
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Michael[/name]- [name]Quinn[/name] has become very unisex lately. I really dont see it as being either masculine or feminine, which could be a good thing or bad thing depending on what you want.

[name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Eunice[/name]- [name]Cassandra[/name] is beautiful, but it feels a little 80s to me (Although if you dont live in the US you probably wouldnt have this impression_
[name]Adria[/name] [name]Maxine[/name]- Hmm I like [name]Audra[/name] and [name]Aria[/name], not sure about [name]Adria[/name].
[name]Laela[/name] (she insists on this spelling which I abhor) [name]Faye[/name]- I agree with you, [name]Laela[/name] is nmsaa.
[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]- A little to s heavy imo. [name]Maisie[/name] can make a cute nn too for something like [name]Margaret[/name].
[name]Darla[/name] [name]Sloane[/name]- I’m not a fan or [name]Darla[/name] at all.

[name]Bryce[/name] [name]Michael[/name]- [name]Bryce[/name] is strong, simple and classic.
[name]Seth[/name] [name]Leonard[/name]- [name]Seth[/name] is the same as [name]Bryce[/name] imo.
[name]Wesley[/name] [name]Edgar[/name]- I love [name]Edgar[/name], [name]Wesley[/name] is nice too.
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Troy[/name]- [name]Donovan[/name] seems like a good compromise between your two styles.
[name]Silas[/name] [name]Charles[/name]- [name]Silas[/name] was another name I was thinking about suggesting to you. It is strong and old fashioned but fresh enough to fit into a modern style.

My mom feels she needs input too. Her picks are- LOL this made me laugh. I think you and [name]Jessica[/name] have plenty of great names on your list. Finding a name you both like shouldnt be too hard imo.

Some suggestions:
[name]Lila[/name]- a little more modern than [name]Laela[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]

[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]

I mixed up your names and [name]Jessica[/name]'s names and my favourite combos are:

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Theo[/name] [name]Bryce[/name]

So many good names though!

Firstly, I think your parents’ chose great names for you and your siblings!

Girls :

I think [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is wonderful - just perfect! A classic first name with a whimsical and fun middle, great flow, plus the options of the sweet nicknames [name]Pippa[/name], [name]Pippi[/name] or [name]Pip[/name].

[name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] also has great flow, and I love [name]Maeve[/name]; I feel like it grounds the frilly [name]Tallulah[/name] somewhat.

I think [name]Scout[/name] is really sweet, but [name]Tatum[/name] [name]Scout[/name] seems much too masculine to me compared with your other choices; personally, I would break the names up.

It bothers me slightly that [name]Danica[/name] is so similar to your name, and there’s nothing wrong with [name]Gretchen[/name] [name]Kristina[/name] at all, I just don’t think it’s as beautiful as your other choices (besides, unfortunately I am reminded of [name]Gretchen[/name] from Mean Girls). You might also like [name]Ingrid[/name].

[name]Cassandra[/name] is a lovely name, feminine and beautiful. [name]Eunice[/name] isn’t my favourite name at all, but in principal there is nothing wrong with it. I feel like something more fun in the middle would lend the combination pizazz, though - if you like [name]Cassandra[/name], too (or maybe [name]Cassia[/name]?) then how about [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Wren[/name]?

[name]Adria[/name] [name]Maxine[/name] just feels very bland to me; only my personally opinion. You both might like [name]Ariadne[/name] as an alternative.

[name]Laela[/name] [name]Faye[/name] is very sing-song, in a positive, pretty way. Something to beware of is the boom in popularity of double-L names, meaning that all spellings of [name]Layla[/name] are zooming up the charts. The sweet French name [name]Lilou[/name] ([name]LEE[/name]-loo) doesn’t seem to have made the journey to English-speaking countries yet, though, and could be a good alternative, as well as a possible cute nickname for [name]Louise[/name]/a.

[name]Maisie[/name] is pretty popular here in the UK, and I personally find it a little too cute to easily envision it on an adult, but it is sweet. I feel like there is some compromise that could be reached regarding [name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Maisie[/name] … maybe [name]Maeve[/name] could be nicknamed [name]Maisie[/name] within the family, just as a cute little pet name? [name]Louisa[/name] is a gorgeous name.

The joint like of [name]Sloane[/name] is good. When I first read it I really didn’t like the name [name]Darla[/name], but you’ve got me dreaming up romantic Southern images and I’m actually starting to like it as a middle. You might also like [name]Orla[/name], [name]Zelda[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name] (nn [name]Elsie[/name]).

As for your mum’s choices, I personally find [name]Ashlyn[/name] and [name]Kameron[/name] a bit trendy, and I don’t think they would date well. [name]Willow[/name] isn’t my favourite name (it feels almost insubstantial to me), but there’s nothing wrong with it. [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] are popular but lovely, and would make great middle names, or firsts if you aren’t concerned about popularity. [name]Isla[/name] reminds me of [name]Freya[/name], but if you are in the UK then that also is very popular here. Lots of lovely names end with the same -ee sound as [name]Phoebe[/name] - [name]Daphne[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name], to name just two.

Boys :
[name]Jasper[/name], [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] are all so handsome, and great either in the middle or in first place (they are quite popular in the UK, so my personal preference is in the middle).

[name]Arlo[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] are also very handsome - my favourite is [name]Arlo[/name], for no particular reason. You might like [name]Otto[/name], [name]Cosmo[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Ivo[/name], [name]Elio[/name], [name]Hugo[/name] and [name]Enzo[/name], and [name]Margot[/name] or [name]Cleo[/name] for a girl.

[name]Quinn[/name] feels trendy and I’m not sure how well it would date, but I do think it is handsome. Currently associated with a female character on Glee, which may or may not bother you. The same also goes for [name]Bryce[/name], [name]Grayson[/name] and [name]Isaak[/name].

[name]William[/name], [name]Michael[/name] and [name]Martin[/name] are solid classics, and great in the middle. Neither [name]Eamon[/name] nor [name]Gordon[/name] are my favourites, but they aren’t bad names, they just don’t sound handsome to me.

[name]Troy[/name], [name]Phoenix[/name] and [name]River[/name] all feel a bit off to me - almost tacky. Sorry!

[name]Seth[/name] [name]Leonard[/name] is a great combination, both very handsome names, although I do think that the flow could be improved.

[name]Wesley[/name] feels a little nerdy to me, just a personal association, and I do like it in theory.

[name]Silas[/name] is handsome, as is [name]Jett[/name]. You might like [name]James[/name] nn [name]Jem[/name], too, although I’d avoid both of those if [name]Jessica[/name] goes by [name]Jess[/name].

I can’t quite put my finger on what is bothering me about [name]Donovan[/name].

Which names, either of my suggestions or of your original choices, do you both like? Any? I see some crossover in style and several names which could be compromised on …

Good luck! [name]Auburn[/name]

You both have great names on your lists! I actually see a lot of overlap in your tastes, so maybe you just haven’t hit on THE name yet.

Here are some suggestions…

Girls:
[name]Davina[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name] (has great nicknames that remind me of [name]Maisie[/name])
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Heidi[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] ([name]Penny[/name]?)
[name]Rosamond[/name] ([name]Rosie[/name]?)
[name]Sloane[/name] (you both have it as a middle name–would you use it as a first?)
[name]Tabitha[/name]

Boys:
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Damian[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Gareth[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Luther[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
Wyeth

[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Wren[/name] - This combo has great flow
[name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] - Very Irish
[name]Tatum[/name] [name]Scout[/name] - Too masculine for my taste
[name]Danica[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] - very similar to [name]Danae[/name] so it may be confusing. [name]Sloane[/name] is a mutual choice for you and your partner.
[name]Gretchen[/name] [name]Kristina[/name] - First name is too harsh and [name]Kristina[/name] has never been a fav

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Jasper[/name] - Very English and cool at the same time. The best combo of your boys.
[name]Theo[/name] [name]Martin[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Theo[/name] but I’m not too crazy about [name]Martin[/name] as a middle name
[name]Gordon[/name] [name]Henry[/name] - NO and NO
[name]Eamon[/name] [name]William[/name] - Irish [name]Eamon[/name] does not flow well with [name]William[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Michael[/name] - [name]Quinn[/name] I like but [name]Michael[/name] is much too common

[name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Eunice[/name] - [name]Cassandra[/name] has had its day so it seems tired. [name]Eunice[/name] is not a name I would give to any girl
[name]Adria[/name] [name]Maxine[/name] - [name]Adria[/name] is not happening to me but I don’t mind [name]Maxine[/name] (alternative could be [name]Maxima[/name])
[name]Laela[/name] (she insists on this spelling which I abhor) [name]Faye[/name] - Definite NO to [name]Laela[/name] spelling but [name]Faye[/name] is a nice middle name
[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] - [name]Love[/name] both names but just not together. There are too many “s” sounds
[name]Darla[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] - [name]Darla[/name], no way? Did see ever see Spanky and Alfalfa on the [name]Little[/name] Rascals. NO. NO. Please NO. Again [name]Sloane[/name] is liked by both of you so perhaps you already have your middle name.

[name]Bryce[/name] [name]Michael[/name] - [name]Bryce[/name] is ok but [name]Michael[/name] is too common
[name]Seth[/name] [name]Leonard[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Seth[/name] but not with [name]Leonard[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name] [name]Edgar[/name] - No and No. Too geeky.
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Troy[/name] - Very masculine and has good flow. The best flow of your partner’s boys list.
[name]Silas[/name] [name]Charles[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Silas[/name] Like [name]Charles[/name] but not together. Again, too many "s"s.

[name]Ashlyn[/name] - Too dated
[name]Kameron[/name] - Too masculine
[name]Willow[/name] - Ok with a soft sound
[name]Phoebe[/name] - I like it
[name]Isla[/name] - I like it

[name]Greyson[/name] - Ok
[name]Phoenix[/name] - Not my fav place name
[name]Jett[/name] - One colour name I would not choose
[name]Isaak[/name] - Nice with the “k” and associated with singer [name]Chris[/name] [name]Isaak[/name]
[name]River[/name] - Not my cup of tea

Here are some suggestions:
Boys
[name]Hugo[/name], [name]Leo[/name] or [name]Orlando[/name] (alternatives to [name]Arlo[/name] and [name]Theo[/name])
[name]Cormac[/name], [name]Aidan[/name] or [name]Brendan[/name] (alternative to [name]Gordon[/name] and [name]Eamon[/name])
[name]Shem[/name] (alternative to [name]Seth[/name])
[name]Graydon[/name] (alternative to [name]Greyson[/name])
[name]Graham[/name] or [name]Grant[/name] (alternative to [name]Gordon[/name])
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]

Girls
[name]Vivian[/name] (alternative to [name]Tatum[/name] and [name]Gretchen[/name])
[name]Miranda[/name] (alternative to [name]Cassandra[/name])
[name]Lily[/name] or [name]Lilah[/name] (alternative to [name]Laela[/name])
[name]Adrienne[/name] or [name]Adriana[/name] (alternative to [name]Adria[/name])
[name]Greta[/name] (alternative to [name]Gretchen[/name])
[name]Darcy[/name] (alternative to [name]Darla[/name])
[name]Davina[/name] or [name]Viveca[/name] (alternative to [name]Danica[/name])
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Tanith[/name]
[name]Kinsley[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Grier[/name]
[name]Marlow[/name]
My favs of your lists are:
Phippa [name]Wren[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Arlo[/name] [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Troy[/name].

[name]Phillipa[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is such a standout, that I just created an account to tell you so. :slight_smile: I hope this name finds it’s way to a worthy lady. Quite a lovely combination and a shame to let it vanish.

THANK YOU!!!

Well we haven’t made an official pick, we are a lot closer on the choice then we were.

[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Wren[/name] (Seems many of you like this. I live in [name]Canada[/name] and neither name is at all popular here)
[name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] (if we chose this name, we could probably call her [name]Tally[/name])
[name]Tatum[/name] [name]Scout[/name] (It is very masculine and [name]Jessie[/name] really doesnt like it all that much)
[name]Danica[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] ([name]Danica[/name] was because of [name]Winnie[/name] in the Wonder Years, [name]Sloane[/name] was from [name]Ferris[/name] Buellers [name]Day[/name] Off)
[name]Gretchen[/name] [name]Kristina[/name] (I really liked this one, but the more I say it the more it loses its appeal)

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Jasper[/name] ([name]Jasper[/name] is my younger brothers name, so we want to keep it in the middle, and I love [name]Arlo[/name] [name]Guthrie[/name])
[name]Theo[/name] [name]Martin[/name] ([name]Martin[/name] is my grandpas name)
[name]Gordon[/name] [name]Henry[/name] ([name]Gordon[/name] was my uncle’s name, and [name]Henry[/name] was his brother)
[name]Eamon[/name] [name]William[/name] (I spent a year in [name]Ireland[/name] and fell in love with the name [name]Eamon[/name]. [name]William[/name] is my dads name)
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Michael[/name] (just like both names)

[name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Eunice[/name] ([name]Eunice[/name] was [name]Jessie[/name]'s grandmas name, and my mom hates C names. We’d probably have to spell it [name]Kassandra[/name])
[name]Adria[/name] [name]Maxine[/name] (I like [name]Adria[/name], though I prefer [name]Adrienne[/name]/[name]Adrianne[/name] more)
[name]Laela[/name] (she insists on this spelling which I abhor) [name]Faye[/name] (still not liking it)
[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] (I agree too many S’s)
[name]Darla[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] (I just watched some [name]Little[/name] Rasals and [name]Darla[/name] isn’t probably the greatest namesake)

[name]Bryce[/name] [name]Michael[/name] (I find [name]Bryce[/name] too feminine)
[name]Seth[/name] [name]Leonard[/name] (This is the only name on her list I like)
[name]Wesley[/name] [name]Edgar[/name] ([name]Edgar[/name] is Jessies dads name)
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]Troy[/name] ([name]Jessie[/name] would want to call him [name]Donny[/name]. Um, eww…makes me think of New Kids On The Block)
[name]Silas[/name] [name]Charles[/name] (silly [name]Silas[/name])

My mom feels she needs input too. Her picks are: ([name]Isla[/name] is the only one I like, [name]Willow[/name] is the only one [name]Jessie[/name] likes)

[name]Ashlyn[/name]
[name]Kameron[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]

[name]Greyson[/name]
[name]Phoenix[/name]
[name]Jett[/name]
[name]Isaak[/name]
[name]River[/name]

I have three siblings, [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name]. [name]Jessica[/name] has a brother named [name]Zachary[/name]. We can normally agree on most things, but this is really stumping us. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks Berries!

What about [name]Willa[/name]? It combines [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Isla[/name], and is in honor of your father.