Our list for Max's sibling

I can’t believe how helpful you all were. Thanks to you guys we now have a short list to start from. It’s not perfect, but it’s a start.

We have a son, [name]Max[/name] (it’s just [name]Max[/name]). We don’t want another M- name, and preferably not something with an X. Any and all suggestions are welcome but this is our current list. I’m leaving some of our own comments with each name too.

What do you think? Comments?

[name]Amelie[/name] - not sold on this
[name]Stella[/name] - not sold on this either
[name]Rue[/name] - Top 3, but does it work?
[name]Esme[/name] - too twilighty?
[name]Isobel[/name] - A bit hesitant about this. It’s a popular name, and maybe people wouldn’t be able to spell it?
[name]Adria[/name] - also top 3, and SO likes [name]Adrian[/name] for a girl too
[name]Aria[/name] - Top 3, better than [name]Adria[/name]?
[name]Skylar[/name] / [name]Skyler[/name] - I just started liking this, especially [name]Skylar[/name]
Aven - not so sure, but SO likes it
[name]Eden[/name] - also not sure, too religious?

[name]Lachlan[/name] - A no-go if we’re not irish?
[name]Cato[/name] - SO loves it (this never happens!) and I like it too
[name]Jett[/name] - SO really likes this, but I’m not so sure. [name]Max[/name] & [name]Jett[/name]?
[name]Dominic[/name] - Nice, but maybe too popular?
[name]Tristan[/name] - too popular?
[name]Hunter[/name] - [name]One[/name] of my favs.
[name]Elijah[/name] “[name]Eli[/name]” - I love [name]Eli[/name], but maybe it needs [name]Elijah[/name] to fall back on
[name]Eli[/name] - or not, maybe just [name]Eli[/name]?
[name]Christopher[/name] - This is a tough one. We really dislike [name]Chris[/name] and [name]Topher[/name], but love [name]Christopher[/name]. Any other nicknames, besides [name]Kit[/name]? And is it too mismatched with [name]Max[/name], 3 letters vs. 11?
[name]Drake[/name] - Like it, but not sold on in with [name]Max[/name]
[name]Liam[/name] - Like it, and everyone else seems to love it with [name]Max[/name]. But, I just don’t know…
[name]Reid[/name] - SO likes it more than I
[name]Spencer[/name] - Not a fav, but SO loves it. Like, really loves it.
[name]Skyler[/name] - Not sure if I actually like it for a boy

I love [name]Eli[/name]…maybe [name]Elias[/name] if you aren’t sold on [name]Elijah[/name]?
[name]Rue[/name] is my favorite from your girl list!

That’s a good start. If you like [name]Aria[/name] and [name]Adria[/name], what about [name]Amara[/name] or [name]Amaya[/name]? I really like the way [name]Max[/name] and [name]Adria[/name] sound together though. I like [name]Lachlan[/name] and I don’t think you have to be Irish to use it. [name]Dominic[/name] is one of my favorites; it’s a really strong, solid boy’s name. [name]Max[/name] and [name]Christopher[/name] sound great together, I think, but you might run into problems with nicknames. They seem to be inevitable, unfortunately. [name]Don[/name]'t let that deter you from using the name though, if you really love it. He would always be [name]Christopher[/name] to you and your SO.

Oooo you like a lot of the same girl names I do :slight_smile: I just recently started loving [name]Eden[/name] out of nowhere. I am the furthest thing from religion so it doesn’t cross my mind, BUT I think [name]Max[/name] and Aven sound so cute together, or [name]Max[/name] and [name]Jett[/name] from your boys.

I’m glad to see you’re getting some ideas pared down! My favorite from your girls’ list is [name]Adria[/name]. I think it’s a lovely, sophisticated name and sounds excellent with [name]Max[/name]. I also like [name]Esme[/name], [name]Isobel[/name] and [name]Rue[/name] quite a bit.

For boys, I’d say that [name]Spencer[/name] and [name]Liam[/name] are my two favorites. Not sure which one I like more, but I think both sound fantastic with [name]Max[/name]. Also, I’d like to note that I’ve known two female Spencers (both around my age, mid-twenties) - just thought I’d mention it since I think it’s really cute for either a boy or a girl, and since you aren’t sold on it for a boy.

[name]Amelie[/name] - I like this a lot, and think it’s a rare girly/sophisticated combination, but there would be [name]Emily[/name] mispronunciations all the time.
[name]Stella[/name] - Hate [name]Stella[/name], it’s my least favorite out of the -ellas. It reminds me of an older leather-wearing woman who rides a motorcycle.
[name]Rue[/name] - A little short. It would be cute on a girl, but on a woman? Maybe as a nickname for something? I don’t know about this.
[name]Esme[/name] - Yeah, people would think of Twilight. It’s not a bad name, but it’s trendy.
[name]Isobel[/name] - I like this name… of course it’s a beautiful name, and this spelling is pretty, but it’s just so popular. Not even an option for me.
[name]Adria[/name] - I like [name]Adrienne[/name] on a girl… [name]Adrian[/name] is overly masculine. [name]Adria[/name] is an unusual choice that I’ve never thought of, but it feels a bit like it was cut off mid-name.
[name]Aria[/name] - My favorite. Has an airy, pretty feel to it. Pronunciation is obvious, not overly popular, feminine but not overly so.
[name]Skylar[/name] / [name]Skyler[/name] - I don’t mind this but I think a lot of people hate it. I think there’s something about it that doesn’t necessarily feel classic.
Aven - Reminds me of [name]Avon[/name] and [name]Ava[/name]. I don’t like it.
[name]Eden[/name] - I hate this. It doesn’t really feel like a name and seems so trendy to me.

Favorites: 1. [name]Aria[/name] 2. [name]Amelie[/name] 3. [name]Adria[/name]

[name]Lachlan[/name]- You could use this if you weren’t Irish, but it reminds me of the Lochness monster. I don’t like it.
[name]Cato[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this. It’s masculine, love the -o sound at the end. It’s fresh, but has a ton of history behind it. An awesome choice.
[name]Jett[/name] - I agree with you. It doesn’t seem like a name and feels… juvenile.
[name]Dominic[/name] - Assuming you’re from the US, [name]Max[/name] is #98 on the SSA list , and [name]Dominic[/name] is #74, so I don’t think it’s too popular. I think it’s a nice, classic option that pairs well with [name]Max[/name].
[name]Tristan[/name] - Feels feminine to me. It rhymes with [name]Kristen[/name].
[name]Hunter[/name] - [name]One[/name] of my favorites too. [name]Max[/name] and [name]Hunter[/name] sound great together. [name]Hunter[/name] is just such a masculine choice that also feels stylish, and soft.
[name]Elijah[/name] “[name]Eli[/name]” - I think if you just have a [name]Max[/name], you can just have an [name]Eli[/name]. Tons of people are naming their sons [name]Eli[/name] alone. I don’t think it’s a problem, and I think it takes away the overt biblical nature of the names and sits better with [name]Max[/name] this way. Really like this choice.
[name]Christopher[/name] - If I’ve learned one thing, don’t name your son something if you hate it’s obvious nickname. Michaels are always called [name]Mike[/name], Josephs [name]Joe[/name], and so on and so forth. He’ll almost certainly be called [name]Chris[/name] at school, whether you always call him [name]Christopher[/name] or not. I agree with you that it also sounds weird with [name]Max[/name].
[name]Drake[/name] - Hate it. Reminds me of ducks and the singer [name]Drake[/name].
[name]Liam[/name] - I like it, and I like it with [name]Max[/name]. It’s playful and masculine but it’s really, really popular. #30 on the SSA list.
[name]Reid[/name] - I like it, but I like some of your other choices better.
[name]Spencer[/name] - waaay too feminine.
[name]Skyler[/name] - I don’t like it for a boy. Too feminine.

Favorites: 1. [name]Hunter[/name]. 2. [name]Cato[/name] 3. [name]Eli[/name]

I love [name]Amelie[/name]. What do you think of [name]Amelia[/name]? Something about [name]Max[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] sounds very apple pie/[name]Americana[/name] to me. So simple and wholesome.

[name]Eden[/name] isn’t trendy to me (and even it is a lot of beautiful names are trendy right now) so I vote [name]Eden[/name] or Aven or [name]Rue[/name] from your girls list and from your boys list I like [name]Jett[/name], [name]Drake[/name] and [name]Liam[/name] with [name]Max[/name].

Top 3 Girls

1 [name]Max[/name] and [name]Stella[/name] - I like the way they look and sound together. They both share a spunky flair!
2 [name]Max[/name] and [name]Eden[/name] - I don’t find [name]Eden[/name] particularly religious even though it’s a biblical place name. [name]Eden[/name] is an old name but it sounds contemporary.
2 [name]Max[/name] and [name]Esme[/name] - [name]Esme[/name] has been around for years and will be long after the Twilight craze has died down!

I admit I found it difficult to three because I’m not most of your girls names. [name]Stella[/name] was the only name I REALLY like with [name]Max[/name]. I wouldn’t worry about popularity. The most important thing is that you find a name you love!

Other suggestions: [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lila[/name], [name]Ada[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Greta[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Lena[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Ruth[/name]

Top 3 Boys

1 [name]Max[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] - I prefer just [name]Eli[/name] - it’s strong and masculine and just “fits” [name]Max[/name] to a tee!
2 [name]Max[/name] and [name]Reid[/name] - These two names seem like a good match. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Rhys[/name]/[name]Reece[/name]/[name]Reese[/name]?
3 [name]Max[/name] and [name]Cato[/name] - I like this ancient name but it comes with a warning: it’s a Hunger Games character and [name]Kato[/name] [name]Kaelin[/name] was O.J. [name]Simpson[/name]'s dippy houseguest!

Other Suggestions: [name]Leo[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Theo[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Levi[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Ben[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Otto[/name], [name]Noel[/name], [name]Nolan[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Finn[/name]/[name]Flynn[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Sam[/name], [name]Grant[/name]

[name]Amelie[/name] - Eh, I wouldn’t be sold on this either, but it is a nice name. I prefer it to [name]Amelia[/name] for sure.
[name]Stella[/name] - Same as above.
[name]Rue[/name] - I like this, but do remember that in the english language rue means regret and in french it means street.
[name]Esme[/name] - I’m not fond of this name, but if your hold back is that it’s from twilight do remember that [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Bella[/name] are still fairly popular, and that [name]Esme[/name] can be found in a few other more classic literary works.
[name]Isobel[/name] - I don’t understand why this is getting so popular. I don’t dislike it, but I don’t like it either. To each her own, I suppose.
[name]Adria[/name] - I prefer [name]Adrian[/name], but maybe you could name her [name]Adrian[/name] and sometimes call her [name]Adria[/name].
[name]Aria[/name] - I prefer [name]Adria[/name], but this is cute too. [name]Do[/name] you pronounce it AR-ee-uh or air-EE-uh?
[name]Skylar[/name] / [name]Skyler[/name] - I love this name! Its one of my favourite “normal” names. I prefer the [name]Skyler[/name] spelling, but [name]Skylar[/name] is more feminine.
Aven - I don’t like this, just nms.
[name]Eden[/name] - I don’t think it’s too religious, only slightly. But I still don’t like the sound of it.

My favourites are: [name]Skyler[/name], [name]Rue[/name] & [name]Amelie[/name]

[name]Lachlan[/name] - I think it’s fine, but I don’t like how you have to swallow the first syllable.
[name]Cato[/name] - I think it’s cute, and I see the appeal but it’s nms. It has been recently given bad context though, as he’s one of the enemies in the Hunger Games.
[name]Jett[/name] - I think it’s cute, but I don’t know how well an adult would feel in these shoes. Maybe you could think of a good longer name with [name]Jett[/name] as a nn?
[name]Dominic[/name] - I think it’s going down in popularity, but it’s still just meh imo.
[name]Tristan[/name] - I have never meet a [name]Tristan[/name] in my life, and I’ve only heard of three- two of which were girls. So no on the popularity. I think it’s a nice name, I like the sound but something about it feels off to me for some unknown reason.
[name]Hunter[/name] - I don’t like the name [name]Hunter[/name].
[name]Elijah[/name] “[name]Eli[/name]” - I love [name]Elijah[/name]! I think it’s a beautiful name with great sounds to it.
[name]Eli[/name] - I don’t prefer [name]Eli[/name] alone as much, but I wouldn’t worry about needing a longer version. I think this is fine.
[name]Christopher[/name] - I’m not a fan of [name]Christopher[/name] or any of it’s nns, sorry. I wouldn’t worry about what everyone else is saying about other people not being able to use anything other than [name]Chris[/name], if your son wants to be called ghsukdhgks and he introduces himself as ghsukdhgks that’s what everyone will call him, except for when people are looking at a paper with names, but they don’t really matter.
[name]Drake[/name] - There are so many things floating around in my mine when I hear [name]Drake[/name]. [name]Draco[/name] Malfoy, [name]Drake[/name] & [name]Josh[/name], dragons, the artist. I think it’s a nice name though, if you don’t mind that. It does seem a little weird with [name]Max[/name] though, that could just be my mind wanting it paired with [name]Josh[/name] though haha
[name]Liam[/name] - I think it’s cute! Nms, though.
[name]Reid[/name] - I don’t like [name]Reid[/name] very much, I think it sounds weird. I did grow up with a boy named [name]Reid[/name] that was really annoying though.
[name]Spencer[/name] - I love [name]Spencer[/name]! I prefer it on a girl, but I think it’s very nice on a boy as well.
[name]Skyler[/name] - I prefer it on a boy, myself.

Favourites: [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Skyler[/name] & [name]Elijah[/name]

Best of luck!

Some other names along the [name]Adria[/name]/[name]Adrian[/name] lines: [name]Arianne[/name], [name]Ariadne[/name], [name]Andrea[/name]?

My favourites from your list:
[name]Esme[/name] - I think this one goes best with [name]Max[/name], and I can’t even remember who she was in Twilight. I think it is becoming quite popular, but it’s still a classic.
[name]Aria[/name] - Really like this one.
[name]Stella[/name] - [name]One[/name] of my best friend’s names, so nothing but good associations for me.

[name]Dominic[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it. Is it really any more popular than [name]Max[/name]? I haven’t looked at the stats.
[name]Tristan[/name] - As above.
[name]Cato[/name] - Really love it, especially with [name]Max[/name], but yes, there is the Hunger Games connection.

I love that you have [name]Rue[/name] on your shortlist. I was browsing Behind the Name, and one of the comments were that you could intepret it to mean “life is a road,” as one of the meanings mean street.

[name]Love[/name]:
[name]Rue[/name] (so cute with [name]Max[/name])
[name]Stella[/name] (great spunky name)

Like:
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Isobel[/name] ([name]Izzy[/name]? and [name]Max[/name]= awesome combo)
[name]Adria[/name]
[name]Skylar[/name]
Aven

Dislike:
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]

[name]Love[/name]:
[name]Jett[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]

Like:
[name]Lachlan[/name] (still do-able even if you’re not irish)
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Hunter[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Skyler[/name]

Dislike:
[name]Cato[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Reid[/name]

Thanks everyone!
Our list has changed a bit. We decided that we don’t want to use [name]Skylar[/name]/[name]Skyler[/name] (for either gender), [name]Eden[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Lachlan[/name], [name]Jett[/name], [name]Tristan[/name], [name]Reid[/name], [name]Christopher[/name] or Aven. SO’s name is [name]Evan[/name], so obviously Aven doesn’t work. [name]Gee[/name], I don’t know how we missed that! I guess we just really wanted to find some names we liked.
We’re also talking about adding [name]Theo[/name], [name]Draco[/name], [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Joel[/name] to our list. I think [name]Draco[/name] sounds a lot better with [name]Max[/name] than [name]Drake[/name] does. I guess I have a weak spot for boys names ending in -O ([name]Draco[/name], [name]Theo[/name], [name]Cato[/name])

The [name]Draco[/name] Malfoy association is too strong for me. I think [name]Theo[/name] is great with [name]Max[/name]! I like [name]Joel[/name] but it seems quite soft compared to [name]Max[/name]. [name]Riley[/name] is ok, just not my style.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Inigo[/name]? Too weird?

[name]Rue[/name] is a character from The Hunger games. I like the name a lot but it does have negative associations. Ruemy? [name]Rumer[/name]?

[name]Max[/name] & [name]Carly[/name]

[name]Max[/name] & [name]Avery[/name]

[name]Max[/name] & [name]Spencer[/name]

[name]Logan[/name]?

Good luck

For your o soft spot…maybe [name]Nicholas[/name] nn [name]Nico[/name] or Nolo.
[name]Leo[/name]…
[name]Solomon[/name] nn Solo
[name]Silo[/name]

[name]Bria[/name] for a girl?