Our little Songbirds

We welcomed our twin daughters [name_f]Alberta[/name_f] [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] ([name_f]Birdie[/name_f]) & [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] ([name_f]Mae[/name_f]) on [name_f]October[/name_f] 15th. Their names are heavily inspired on mine and their daddy’s mutual love for [name_u]Jazz[/name_u], [name_m]Blues[/name_m] and Swing. [name_f]Alberta[/name_f] came to us especially from hearing so much of [name_m]Eric[/name_m] Clapton’s “[name_f]Alberta[/name_f]” from the famous unplugged album, it’s an all-round hit here at home. We’re shortening her name to [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] which in our accent is identical in sound to the intuitive [name_u]Bertie[/name_u], we just really love the musical connection to the song “Lullaby of Birdland”.

[name_f]Leontine[/name_f] was going to be our 2nd twin’s first name, but we switched our middle name choice of [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] to first name at the last minute. We like that it shortens to sweet [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and of course the meaning, that subtly links her name to [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]'s. [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] has a great-south feeling to us and brings us an imagery of walking down a rue in nighttime [name_m]New[/name_m] Orleans in the 1930’s, following a band of musicians and just having a lot of fun. [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] is also inspired by [name_f]Leontyne[/name_f] [name_m]Price[/name_m] who is just an amazing musician and we [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] her [name_f]Bess[/name_f] from the opera “Porgy and [name_f]Bess[/name_f]”. Her voice is hauntingly beautiful and has been a sure companion during this difficult pregnancy.

Really meaningful and unique.

What a gorgeous set of names for your sweet girls!

A really wonderful set of names. Congratulations!

What beautiful names you’ve chosen! If you’re a fan of other bird-themed names, I’m sure you’d like “Papagena” from [name_m]Mozart[/name_m]'s the [name_u]Magic[/name_u] Flute, whose love for Papageno will transform her into a beautiful female birdcatcher.

Although her role is small, she is one of the most important characters in the opera. She is playful, clever, spirited, real and above all, likeable. She tests Papageno’s faithfulness and inner character by appearing to him as an old woman first. If he can love her for who she truly is, he is worthy of her love.

My step-dad used to play Papageno in the [name_m]German[/name_m] opera, so of course my family has always been a huge fan of the name. We loved it so much, we even named our beautiful blue merle Australian [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] after the character. But we called her “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]” for short. Also, the [name_m]German[/name_m] word for parrot is “Papagei”, which is another reason to keep “Papagena” in your back pocket! :slight_smile:

Oooooh, what gorgeous, gorgeous names!! Your sibset is truly one of the prettiest, most memorable ones I’ve seen in the BA forum :slight_smile: About as close to perfection as you can get. I love the meaning they have for you, too - what lucky little girls!

Really meaningful and beautiful names! Congratulations :slight_smile:

Gorgeous names, and I love all the subtle little connections between them. Many congratulations on the safe arrival of your twins!

Their names are beautiful!

Congratulations! Their names are just beautiful. :slight_smile:

They have beautiful names! Congratulations!

Congratulations! Their names are so fun and bright!

Beautifully linked

I love everything about the names. Congratulations!