Our new top 10 list of names....I need your opinion.

Our baby girl is due in [name]January[/name] and we are having the most difficult time coming up with names. We have gone through sooo many names and my hubby and I have somewhat agreed on the following. Our last name is [name]Ashby[/name]. Our new shortlist is below. What do you think.

[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name].

I definitely like [name]Scarlett[/name] best. I think it’s very pretty with your last name.

[name]Scarlett[/name] is one of my favorites, but my hubbys least fav :frowning:

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] but this is just a little too rhymy for my taste.
[name]Ava[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - not the best flow with the 2 a’s together
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - pretty
[name]Cameron[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - I’d assume was a boy
[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - again clashing a ending with your surname
[name]Chloe[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - I like this - pretty
[name]Naomi[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - like this one too
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - again there is repetition of the a sound
[name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - repeating a sounds again
[name]Natalie[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - like this to but not as much as [name]Chloe[/name] or [name]Naomi[/name].

I really like [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ashby[/name]. What do you think?

[name]Jess[/name] x

[name]Chloe[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] are definitely my favourites:) They are beautiful and flow nicely with [name]Ashby[/name].

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

My favourites in order are:

[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]

[name]Ava[/name] seems too common, [name]Cameron[/name] a little unisex and boring, [name]Alexandra[/name] a little 90s and [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Naomi[/name] and [name]Leah[/name] are all nice names but I prefer the ones above.

However, unfortunately [name]Ivy[/name] doesn’t go at all with your last name :frowning: I hate when that happens! (One of my favourite names is [name]Margot[/name], our last name is [name]Morgan[/name]!). But that still leaves 3 choices I love:

[name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Ashby[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name] [name]Ashby[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ashby[/name]

I saw that your husband isn’t keen on [name]Scarlett[/name]? [name]How[/name] about as a middle?

[name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] or [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] would both be stunning! I also really like [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Ava[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Gabriella[/name] is just so pretty and [name]Natalie[/name] always reminds me of the stunning and glamorous [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Wood[/name] :slight_smile:

Good luck :slight_smile:

I too love [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Wood[/name]! That’s why I love the name so much… Thanks for your input.

1. [name]Cameron[/name]
  2. [name]Alexandra[/name]
  3. [name]Chloe[/name]
  4. [name]Gabriella[/name]
  5. [name]Ava[/name]
  6. [name]Natalie[/name]
  7. [name]Naomi[/name]
  8. [name]Leah[/name]
  9. [name]Scarlett[/name]
  10. [name]Ivy[/name]

Hmmm … OK. I love your name, but I see a bit of a rhyming situation with your last name that limits you.

[name]Gabriella[/name] will almost certainly get nn [name]Gaby[/name], and [name]Gaby[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] is a bit unfortunate because of the rhyme. Same problem with [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Ashby[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Naomi[/name] & [name]Natalie[/name].

While I’m usually a fan of alliteration, [name]Ava[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] are both too tongue-twister-y, and [name]Ava[/name] is so popular it’s almost a cliche (Beyond [name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aiden[/name] …)

Which leaves us with [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Cameron[/name] & [name]Leah[/name], three lovely names.

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] – lovely, feminine, and flows off the tongue
[name]Cameron[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] – while some others see it as unisex, I see it as kicky and fun; [name]Cameron[/name] [name]Ashby[/name]'s a force to be reckoned with!
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] – I like [name]Leah[/name], though it isn’t the most exciting of names, but it’s just not flowing quite right

1. [name]Natalie[/name]: [name]Natalie[/name] is the most classic of your names. I’m really liking it right now.
  2. [name]Alexandra[/name]: ok, some people may find [name]Alexandra[/name] to be a bit dated, but I consider it more of a classic like [name]Elizabeth[/name]
  3. [name]Gabriella[/name]: This is very pretty and feminine, and chock full of possible nicknames. I think I prefer [name]Gabrielle[/name].
  4. [name]Ivy[/name]: I like [name]Ivy[/name], but it definitely doesn’t work with your last name!
  5. [name]Scarlett[/name]: This name is hugely popular on nameberry. It’s ok, but I never really cared for it. No one seems to mention that it rhymes with harlot. [name]Scarlett[/name] the harlot. Not good.
    6.[name]Chloe[/name]: I named my dog [name]Chloe[/name] in 1996. I loved the name, but now I find it to be dated as well. Also I can only think of [name]Khloe[/name] Kardashian who is not a good role model for a child.
  6. [name]Cameron[/name]: all boy to me.
  7. [name]Ava[/name]: don’t care for this name. Far overused. It doesn’t seem like the perfect name for your special little one.
  8. [name]Leah[/name]: I find [name]Leah[/name] to be a bit on the dull side. Also it sounds very 90’s to me, I know a lot of [name]Leah[/name]'s from that age group.
  9. [name]Naomi[/name]: I have to give you my honest opinion here. I have always loathed the name [name]Naomi[/name]. To me it’s like nails on a chalkboard or something. I don’t find it feminine at all.

I never knew how limiting my last name is! I never considered how the rhyming effort of the names that I chose. Thank you all for your opinions. I think we have definately ruled out [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Ava[/name].

Similar to what others have said, I think the names ending with vowels don’t flow easily with [name]Ashby[/name] (imho that’s everything other than [name]Cameron[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]). I would think [name]Cameron[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] was a boy… Sorry to be a downer! :frowning: [name]Scarlett[/name] works really well!

You seem to like shorter names… so here are a few that might help

[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] (although it’s more popular)
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] (hmmm, names that end with “n” go really well with [name]Ashby[/name])

I agree almost exactly with [name]Jess[/name]:

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - rhyme-y, although I love [name]Ivy[/name]!
[name]Ava[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - not the best flow with the 2 a’s together (Plus, [name]Ava[/name] is super common, unless that doesn’t bother you.)
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - gorgeous!
[name]Cameron[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - too unisex; I’d assume a boy, too.
[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - again clashing a ending with your surname
[name]Chloe[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - I think this one is a tad too rhyme-y, too, and I’m not a fan of [name]Chloe[/name]. It seems flighty and insignificant. :frowning: And it reminds me of a cat name.
[name]Naomi[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - This one is ok, but I feel a little rhyme-y again. I like [name]Naomi[/name], though.
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - again there is repetition of the a sound – and I agree it sounds dated.
[name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - repeating a sounds again – Have you considered [name]Gabrielle[/name], instead? (I’m partial to this name - my daughter’s name is [name]Gabriella[/name] :slight_smile: )
[name]Natalie[/name] [name]Ashby[/name] - a little rhyme-y again! :frowning: I love [name]Natalie[/name], though!

Thanks all for your input!