Outdated but meaningful

Hi berries!

I wanted to get your opinion on a new combo: [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f]. Our last name is two syllables and starts with an R. I know this is a dated pairing, but would honor my grandmother, mother, mother in law, a family friend who we lost growing up, and myself based on the names themselves/spelling choices. It kills so many birds with one stone and I love the way [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] sounds with our last name. I also love the more modern nickname possibilities for [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] - [name_f]Carrie[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u], [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], and even [name_f]Carol[/name_f] might be able to be revived. What do you think?? TIA

7 Likes

You could freshen it up as [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], but if you’re not willing to do that [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] isn’t that bad on its own! [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] does feel dated, but not as much as [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] since [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is quite popular at the moment. And people would mostly know her as just her first name!
You could also add a second middle name that’s a bit more modern if you’d like.

4 Likes

I like it! Especially since it’s an honor name set. I also especially love the nicknames [name_u]Caro[/name_u] and [name_f]Carrie[/name_f]! I’ve also considered [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] as an honor name (probably would go with [name_f]Lily[/name_f], same meaning just more my style) so I’m loving seeing it considered here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly I think meaning and honouring loved ones ALWAYS trumps trends, what’s in style or whatever else that could come into consideration when naming a child. Names with substance and meaning are always the way forward and this name has a lot of these factors going on. Use the name with the most meaning for you. Personally I prefer @tallemaja suggestion of [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] just sounds visually more appeasing but I wouldn’t change [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] to a more modern alternative if you miss out on honouring someone important

10 Likes

I really like this pairing and actually both names are refreshing on a today’s child. emmievis’ idea of [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] is a good option if you want to freshen it, but I think it’s beautiful on its own.
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] is a cool nickname and I like sweet [name_f]Carol[/name_f]. Though if you would like a more modern nickname, [name_f]Carol[/name_f] probably isn’t the best choice.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I love love love [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], but that would take from grandmom ([name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]) and give to the family friend ([name_f]Caroline[/name_f]). I think I’d like to prioritize grandmom first, but maybe something I can talk about with my mom!

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Go with what you love, and honour all those people who are dear to you! [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] has a lovely sound and I adore the nickname [name_u]Caro[/name_u].

4 Likes

Carolyn [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] is very sweet and classic

1 Like

I think meaning is absolutely more important than datedness. [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is a very popular baby name where I live so [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] doesn’t feel that dated to me.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] will work well on a 2021 baby! I don’t love the flow of [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] sounds better. But ultimately I agree with previous posters that meaning trumps sound.

1 Like

To me personal meaning is more important than fashion. I think [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] is a good name and not too outdated. I don’t know many older woman with this name. Plus, a young [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] today might be the only one in her school. [name_f]Cara[/name_f], [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] and [name_u]Caro[/name_u] are nice nickname options.

1 Like

I think it’s a great name for all of those reasons! You shouldn’t hesitate to go with it. And [name_u]Caro[/name_u] would be a stunning nn for a modern twist – love it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Carolyn is my favorite girls name, makes me so happy seeing it get some love on here. This combo is lovely, an amazing choice to honor your loved ones!

1 Like

I LOVE [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f]!

I know these names are technically “dated” – meaning they were popular too recently for many to miss them yet - but I like both names aloud and on paper.

And I have positive associations with them as you do. We lost a beloved [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] recently, plus I think of [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] Bissette (sp?) and also of [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_m]Keene[/name_m], the pseudonym for the [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] [name_u]Drew[/name_u] author.

I think [name_f]Carol[/name_f] is a beautiful name too as I think of [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] carols and my Aunt [name_f]Carol[/name_f] and [name_f]Carol[/name_f] [name_m]Burnett[/name_m].

I like [name_f]Cady[/name_f] too, a nod to feminist icon [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Cady[/name_f] [name_m]Stanton[/name_m].

Also [name_f]Caddie[/name_f], as in pioneer girl [name_f]Caddie[/name_f] Woodlawn.

And [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] I love, not so much with the z, but the soft s. I’ve known and loved myriad [name_f]Susanne[/name_f]/Suzanne/Sue/Susan/etc. so for me the name is imbued with love.

Plus think of it this way: you are ahead of the curve! Hipsters and other cool folks may not be ready to reexamine these names, but at some point they will be. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Carolyn is a favorite of mine as well! I love the nickname potential and the soft -lyn ending. I do prefer the flow of [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] because it breaks up the “n” endings, but with honor being the reason for you loving the name, I don’t think you need to worry about changing anything. If you want to honor [name_f]Susanne[/name_f] but using her variance of the name, then I think that is most important.

I love the nickname [name_f]Cara[/name_f], pronounced like [name_f]Kara[/name_f]!

How beautiful to have so much meaning in one name! Yes, by all means, use it!