Owen for a girl?🍦

I’m honestly shocked with myself for this one! I don’t typically enjoy traditionally masculine names on girls but this one is just calling to me

What are your thoughts on [name_u]Owen[/name_u] for a girl or traditionally masculine names for girls in general? I’d love to hear opinions cuz I’m just head over heels for this name right now

2 Likes

So I personally am not a fan but I will say that [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is one of the softer sounding masculine names so it probably would get away with it easier than some others.

1 Like

I agree! [name_u]Owen[/name_u] reminds me of some more common feminine names like [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], so maybe thats why I enjoy the idea of it as a feminine name :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t hate it. Probably wouldn’t use it, but it’s got that strong O sound and the warmth of the -wen.

I do prefer [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] though personally. [name_u]Or[/name_u], with a similar style/vibe, [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Keegan[/name_u], [name_u]Murphy[/name_u] and [name_u]Auden[/name_u] appeal to me

3 Likes

I’m all for masculine names on girls! (flashback to my [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] post everyone hated lol) Buuut not really a fan of [name_u]Owen[/name_u] in general bc of a negative association tho it could be pretty on a girl!

2 Likes

I love gender-bending names! [name_u]Owen[/name_u] on a girl is sweet, especially with the potential for [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] as a nickname. I do prefer the similar-sounding [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], though :blush:

2 Likes

[name_u]Owen[/name_u] on a girl is absolutely a guilt pleasure of mine! I think it’s so sweet and spunky and could work very well on the right person.

1 Like

Fun fun fun! I can see myself totally falling in love with this. :star_struck: I am a fan!

1 Like

Personally not a fan, but I could see it working.

1 Like

Thank you! I know a little girl whose name is [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and goes by [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I honestly can see it as being more of a guilty pleasure name for me as well just because it’s so different than the other feminine names I love, it’s just so spunky and adorable to me!

I know a little girl irl called W3dn3$d@y 0w3n and whenever I hear her name I think about how it’s almost exactly your naming style, she goes by [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]!

1 Like

i think [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is really cool for a girl! i do prefer [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] though

1 Like

I like it! It feels a little softer to me than some other traditionally male names.

As unpopular as it is, I have a habit of thinking a girl can wear any name. I try to convince myself to stick to the right lane of traditional names, but I like what I like, so pro gender bending for me - for girls anyways!

I do know of one young female [name_u]Owen[/name_u], probably 10 or under. It’s suits her and she wears it well.

1 Like

I think it sounds nice. Then again, I don’t mind the idea of ignoring gender “rules” for names in general. I agree that it also reminds me of [name_f]Olwen[/name_f].

I don’t know if you are familiar with the late singer [name_u]Cass[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], but she named her daughter [name_u]Owen[/name_u] back in 1967.

1 Like

Yes I am familiar with her and that’s another reason why I’m so fond of the name!

1 Like

You’ve got to be joking me… this is so utterly gorgeous. :face_holding_back_tears: What a stunner! And Winnie as a nickname!? I mean… genuine perfection. I’m gushing.

1 Like

And here I sit: I don’t even like it for a boy, that is the problem.

2 Likes

I do love [name_u]Owen[/name_u] for boys, but I’m not generally wild about the masculine names for girls trend.
Having said that, I think an alternate spelling like [name_m]Owyn[/name_m] might be lovely, and read more feminine. [name_u]Or[/name_u], as others have suggested, similar names such as [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_u]Wynn[/name_u], etc., which are all beautiful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I just don’t see it. In general I am not pro masculine names on girls, though. I have a few GP exceptions (Parker, Brady), but I would never use them. Could also be that [name_m]Eoghan[/name_m] has been a favorite of mine for years now.

Plus, with the lovely [name_f]Awen[/name_f] out there… why [name_u]Owen[/name_u]? I’m a big [name_f]Awen[/name_f] fan… and it has such a lovely meaning (poetic gift)!

2 Likes