Ozzie for a girl?

My husband and I just found out that we’re having a baby girl and we’re in a bit of a disagreement about names. He really wants to pick a name that honors his dad (his name is [name_m]Ozias[/name_m]) and is stuck on [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] for a girl. I think it’s cute, but I know that [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] isn’t typically a girl’s name which worries me somewhat. I pointed that out but he sees no issue with that. [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] sounds similar to something like [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] or [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f], so I’m thinking that it could work, but I’m not sure if I want to take that leap. I’m thinking of vetoing it just because of the “out-there” nature, but I do think it’s a cute name. What do you think?

The other names that I suggested that haven’t been vetoed were [name_u]Cheyenne[/name_u], [name_u]Shay[/name_u], and [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] so far. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband literally hasn’t suggested anything else lol he really loves [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m].

1 Like

I think it’s sweet and could definitely work! I think it would actually fit quite well among the names I’m hearing a lot on little ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] for a girl! It’s cute and quirky

I think if it was a nickname it could work (fwiw I don’t like [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] or [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] as full names either). Maybe something like [name_f]Ozara[/name_f] or [name_f]Ozella[/name_f], or if you’re ok with stretching a bit you could use [name_f]Cosette[/name_f] or [name_f]Josette[/name_f]?

I do prefer it on a boy, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on a girl. I also reccommend using a longer, more feminine name and calling her [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m], but just [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] would work too

I think it’s super cute and could definitely work. What do you think of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] as a full name with nn [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]?

Haha, I think you just helped me figure out how to pronounce that name. I like it, but husband doesn’t. I put it on my list to go back to though because he did like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a middle name, should her name be [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]. I think he’s just been super stuck with this name since we just found out it’s a girl, lol.

I think it’s better as a nickname. [name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorite is an O first name and Z middle name.

But if you chose to use [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] by itself, I would understand. It sounds like a great honor name! I really like it

I think it works! I love that it’s an honor name as well. I actually just put [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] on my list with the nn [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m], if you prefer something more formal. Nonetheless, I think it works perfectly fine as a stand-alone name. It fits in with other vintage, masculine nn names for girls like [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] that are gaining traction right now.

I prefer [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] as a nickname, so your daughter has something more profession to go by when they’re older. :slight_smile: Some ideas: Girl names | BabyCenter

I think [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] is super sweet on a girl! It is usually a masculine nickname but if [name_u]Billie[/name_u] and [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] can work, I don’t see why [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] can’t.

@rookdraven

Howabout [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m], short for [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]? I think this could be a great name with a great NN that honors his dad!

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], Rosilyn, and [name_f]Roslyn[/name_f] could all easily shorten to [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] or Rozzie, and probably even [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m].

I think it could be very cute on a little girl but it’s not my style.:wink:

Regardless of the full name, if you’re calling her [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m], that’s her name. I don’t see any harm in elongating it so she has something a bit more formal to use when she wants to.

If you want [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] to be the full name, that’s great, but don’t do it just because it’s what your husband wants. He’ll be getting his top pick at least 99% of the time.

I prefer it on a boy but it might work.

I think [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] would be a really cute nickname for a girl! However, I do have a stuff time seeing it as a full name, for a girl or boy.

I see others have suggested a few good potential full names for [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]. What about [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] with the nickname [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]?

I like @Elle1 suggestion of having an O first name and a Z middle name. Another option would be to pick a name that shares the same meaning as [name_m]Ozias[/name_m]. Personally I don’t like the association of [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] [name_m]Osborne[/name_m] with [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] but maybe the newer generation isn’t aware of him. So I’ve been trying to think of a way to feminize [name_m]Ozias[/name_m] unsuccessfully when I came across an actual name that might fit the bill for your husband: [name_f]Ozara[/name_f]! It’s a female name but shares three out of five letters with Grandpa’s name! It also has 3 syllables. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps.

1 Like

Oooh I like [name_f]Ozara[/name_f]! NB also provided [name_f]Ozari[/name_f] as a similar name. Both are really pretty!

1 Like

I like [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] for a girl!!

I’ll second the suggestion of [name_f]Cosima[/name_f].
What about [name_f]Odessa[/name_f]?

I wrote a post about this awhile ago. I’m pregnant with my third, first girl. And [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is my top pick :slight_smile: