Pandora...

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the name [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] is forever unusable because of the story, despite the fact that it has a beautiful meaning??

I’m wondering this because there’s lots of names that have odd meanings or bad connotations, yet people still use them. However, I feel like names such as [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] get a bit shunned (even though the literal meaning “gifted” / “all these gifts” is very lovely).

Have you found this with other names? Are there names you won’t use because of the connotations regardless of the actual meaning?? Would you use a name like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]??

Interested to chat on the topic :slight_smile:

It’s cute for a kitty-cat (and they love boxes!). I wouldn’t use it for a person.

I’m obviously very biased, but I don’t think [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] is that problematic or unusable. I think most people would think of the myth, but it’s given [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] more familiarity, and it’s not completely unheard of. There are definitely much worse myths and mythological figures, and I think most people would get used to it after a while. I quite like the connection, because I love Greek mythology in general and I enjoy that it reflects that. I’ve actually told a few people irl about [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] being my top name, and it doesn’t get that much of a reaction. I think if you love it, the myth isn’t an issue.

I love [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]! But I might be a bit biased because I just love mythological names and I’ve known a lot people with mythological names, even if the person/god/nymph/etc behind the myth wasn’t so grand.

To me if people are using [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] then [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] is fair game. Both are not considered role models in their respective religions but because of the song and Christianity being more popular than paganism, [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] seems to have gotten away with her past.

Aside from the myth there is also the jewelry company but I think [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] has very nice jewelry and there are worse brands to share a name with.

I love [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]. I love the meaning and so the story behind it won’t stop me using it! Like above posters have mentioned, people use [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] and the story behind that name is unfavourable, and (around me at least) most people’s first thought would be [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] bracelets…

My niece is named [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], we call her Panda. So I say definitely yes.

It’s funny because I wouldn’t use it because of the streaming service not the legend

I love [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] and would definitely use it if it felt right for my future, hypothetical child!

Oh that is the cutest! What a great nickname!

I’ve never heard of a steaming company called [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]. Perhaps it depends on where you live. Some connotations are that way - limited to specific areas.

Re: everyone that made this point…

That’s what I was thinking there’s lot of names that have either bad meanings or unfavourable connotations, but they still get used. Name’s like [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] and Jezzabell were kind of what got me thinking. I guess most names are acceptable, unless the meaning really is terrible.

I actually love [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]. It’s one of the names I considered using for myself years ago so the name will always be sentimental to me. The nickname “[name_m]Pan[/name_m]” is just downright adorable. I wouldn’t worry too much about the history of the name. To me, the person makes the name, the name doesn’t make the person.

I think that [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]’s positive character traits far outweigh the negative.
The mythical [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] to me represents curiosity, beauty, and a yearning for knowledge.

I really like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]. Personally I don’t think it’s unusable. I don’t think the story is that bad and as far as I know Ancient Greeks never regarded [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] as an evil figure. For me it’s comparable to [name_f]Eve[/name_f]/[name_f]Eva[/name_f]. Plus there is the association (in the UK) at least with the jewellery company.