Pansy?

Hey fellow berries!

My husband and I have been kicking around the name [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] for going on two months now but we are afraid of the teasing the name may bring. We are looking for a flower name or something along those lines. We feel [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is too common.

What do you all think of the name [name_f]Pansy[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer any other flower names ?

Tansy or [name_f]Peonie[/name_f]? :full_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

Since [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] can sometimes be an insult, I prefer some other flower names.

Poppy
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Peony[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]

5 Likes

Pansy is nice but it reminds me of pantry or pants

I believe [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] is considered a derogatory term for a gay person.

Posey or [name_f]Posie[/name_f] would probably be a better option in my opinion.

6 Likes

My first thought was how [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] can be used as an insult :/.

Peony is a good suggestion!

3 Likes

Posie would be a great choice! [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] is another option.

2 Likes

Agree with pp suggesting [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] and [name_f]Posy[/name_f] as similar floral alternatives that don’t have the same teasing potential.

My other favorite botanical names:

Ivy
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]

4 Likes

I love all the other flower suggestions. [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] isn’t my favorite. I do think of the insult and of [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] Parkinson from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. The latter is no big deal but the term pansy as an insult would really bother me.
The suggestions of [name_f]Tansy[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Posey[/name_f] or [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] nn [name_f]Posey[/name_f] all feel very close to [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] to me.

1 Like

I would not use [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] for pretty much all of the reasons listed above.

I love the suggestions of [name_f]Tansy[/name_f], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f],and [name_f]Posie[/name_f]/Posey for you.

I wouldn’t use [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] as it is sometimes used as an insult to gay men or men perceived as “wimpy” (and often tied to insulting feminine men which just goes back to the homophobia). I would prefer [name_f]Tansy[/name_f], [name_f]Posy[/name_f], [name_f]Peony[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_u]Paisley[/name_u] for similar sounding names.

I agree with all the other comments about it being used as an insult, so I wouldn’t use it.

What about:

Poppy
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] w/ nickname [name_f]Posy[/name_f]/Posey

:slight_smile:

Don’t use it for all the above reasons.

I actually love the name [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] myself but feel like there’s a bit of a negativity around the word, in [name_f]England[/name_f] if you call someone a [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] it implies weakness. I always think its such a shame as its such a pretty flower name. I would love to see it used more often! If you aren’t sure about [name_f]Pansy[/name_f], how about [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] or [name_f]Posy[/name_f]? Beautiful flower names but without the negative connotations :rosette:

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Posey[/name_f] or [name_f]Posie[/name_f].

there’s also Dandy, which is similar in sound to [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] but has a better meaning :slight_smile:

Agreed with other posters, I wouldn’t use it because of the homophobic insult connection.
[name_f]Posie[/name_f] is lovely and sweet though!! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestions of [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], too!

All I can think of is the insult and the Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character (who’s an antagonist)

It reminds me of [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] where all I can think is the insult “prissy” :grimacing:

It’s a family name for me, and I like it, but I’d only ever consider it as a middle for reasons mentioned by other posters.

[name_f]Pansy[/name_f] is a popular insult for cowardice. In the mix with calling someone a wuss or p*ssy. Because of how common that insult is, I just can’t envision it as a given name. For me, it’s right up there with naming someone Nerd or Dork or Wuss or Scaredycat / 'Fradycat, etc. Sorry :frowning:

A comme ter above suggested Dandy. I’m fairly that’s a somewhat old-timey but still very recognizable homophobic slur, so I’d rule that one out, too.

[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is a potential alternative 2-syllable floral name (if that was the inspiration).

Posie
Daisy
Dahlia
Violet
Goldie
Rose
Iris
Lily

I agree that unfortunately the insult makes it unusable.

If you’re looking for uncommon flower names I like:
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Camellia[/name_f]

1 Like