Pearl as First Name

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I love the name [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] as a first name. [name_f]My[/name_f] wedding ring is pearl and that’s all I wear. However my dad says it sounds old and odd, that it should be a middle name. What do you think?

Also we are looking for middle name options. I want to honor my mom’s name “[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]” as she is deceased. See options below and feel free to make suggestions, last name is [name_m]Washington[/name_m].

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] (Mom’s nickname was [name_u]Lisa[/name_u])
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (paternal family name)

Looking for thoughts and additional suggestions. Thank you!

1 Like

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] sounds very sweet as a fn! Sure, it’s old-fashioned, but it’s definitely coming back into style. I think you should go for it! After all, you love it and it’s meaningful to you – that’s so important. Your dad will come around to it when he sees it on a precious little girl. :slight_smile:

However, you could certainly use it as a middle name. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] or [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] would be stunning.

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is probably my favorite of your options because I think it flows the best. You might consider spelling it ‘[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]’ to keep the ‘[name_u]Lisa[/name_u]’ connection.

3 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I love [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]! I suppose it sounds sort of old lady-ish, but all of the old ladies were little girls once, right? There are old lady names that are frumpy & could stand to be retired, but [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is soft, elegant, simple & has beautiful imagery. She’s ready for a come-back for sure. I wouldn’t worry about your dad. Once he sees a sweet little granddaughter, he’s going to fall in love with whatever name is given to her. As for a mn, I like [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u]. It has a nice enough flow, & I think it’s more special to honor your mom with using her actual name . Especially since [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] isn’t an awful name or anything, & sounds quite nice with [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. What’s your mom’s mn? That’s another option.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a little girl in Australia named Pëärl Mïrïäm born in 2015. The name Pearl fits her perfectly, and I think it will fit your little one as well… it’s not the name that makes the person, but the person who makes the name. I think it’s a great name. I don’t think it’s an “old lady” name. BTW she will be an old lady one day.

As for Leslie, my first thought was Isla, but in this mix I don’t think it works. Maybe Liesl, Eliza or Liza. Elise or Elisa are great too. I really like Leslie though, especially for the connection she will have with her grandma.

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is beautiful. I know a little [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], and it’s so charming.

In my opinion, how you use [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] should depend on your relationship with your late mother. The more profound it is for you to honor her, the more true I’d think you should be to her name. That’s just my feeling. If the ideal would be to use her full name as the fullest honor and truly channel your mother’s life into the life of your daughter, then that’s the best idea.

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] would be perfect.

There’s my 2 cents. Good luck!

1 Like

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is a lovely name! :blush: If that’s your favorite name, please keep it as a first name. It’s so elegant and charming!
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is my favorite combo, but [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] would be beautiful too.

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u] means “garden of holly”. Would you consider [name_u]Holly[/name_u] or [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]? [name_u]Carmel[/name_u] means “garden” in Hebrew. There’s also [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] “garden”, Gardenia, [name_u]Gardner[/name_u] and [name_f]Hortense[/name_f]/[name_f]Hortensia[/name_f] “of the garden”.

Names similar to [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] and [name_u]Lisa[/name_u]:
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Liz[/name_f]
[name_f]Melissa[/name_f]
[name_u]Presley[/name_u]
[name_f]Annalisa[/name_f]/[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is a beautiful name and is almost at its best as a first name (that said I am considering it as a middle name). I second @[name_f]Estrela[/name_f] 's [name_u]Holly[/name_u] and [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] (the other suggestions are good, too). [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is particularly attractive, though [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] is nearly as beautiful. The names [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] together give me this beautiful imagery of round pearls and round holly berries, glimmering and glinting in their respective precious ways, and the prickliness of the holly leaf contrasted by the smooth shellac of the iridescent pearl.

Good luck. Try not to take your dad’s comments about the name too much to heart and just follow your own heart wherever it is guiding you.

1 Like

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is wonderful as a first name. Use it! I like the flow of [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (or [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]) the most, but honoring your mother’s name fully in [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] is also a lovely idea and they both sound very nice together.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! [name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to pop in and say that I know a little girl (8yo) who’s name is [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]! She’s just the sweetest girl, and I love her name! We often call her pearlie as a nn. It suits her to a tee! Her full name is [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Serene[/name_f]!

I love the alternative [name_f]Perla[/name_f]. I think it livens up the name and sounds less dated. That being said [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is still nice. I like [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] or [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Everly[/name_u]

This is a great suggestion, and I agree that [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] flows best. That said, I really do think all of your options are pretty!

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] sounds perfect your you. It’s beautiful, meaningful, and coming back into fashion now, so your [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]'s peers would find her name funky and fresh, not old-fashioned. Personally, I love it!

Best of luck :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is beautiful! I’d actually say it’s coming back into style :slight_smile:

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] or Peatl [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] would be great!!

You should use [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]! [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] sound absolutely gorgeous with your last name, and I wouldn’t worry about it sounding old-fashioned. Sure, [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is vintage, but when your family members get to know her they will only associate the name with your daughter. The same thing happened with my sister, who also has a name people associate with older women. Now, it fits her perfectly!
Go with [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]- it is a wonderful name.

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is definitely usable as a first name. I watch a youtuber with a 4 year old called [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. It’s cute.
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is my favourite combo

I just wanted to say that a few months ago, I wasn’t fond of the name [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] but it grew on me very quickly and now I think it’s a very sweet and beautiful name. So, yes some people might find it old-fashioned but I’m pretty sure they will love it more and more everyday! I think [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] is darling :heart: