Pearl..for a boy

I was looking through the most popular names list from 1880, and everything was in line with what I had expected until I got to #197 on the boy’s list. [name]Pearl[/name]. I was very, very surprised. Am I the only one? I’d just never heard of it as a boy’s name. Thoughts?

A boy named [name]Pearl[/name] would be pulverized on the playground haha! I definitely do NOT think that’s appropriate on a boy. AT. ALL. :slight_smile:

I can see it…but only if you lived at a time where it had not yet been discovered for a girl. [name]Pearl[/name] sounds very similar to [name]Earl[/name]…obviously a man. [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Marion[/name] and [name]Sidney[/name] used to be boys after all.
For the 1990 list, I also found [name]Lacy[/name], [name]Cleo[/name], [name]Fay[/name], [name]Anna[/name] (!!!) and [name]Florence[/name] in the top 500 for males.

Oh, phew! I thought you were going to say that you were actually considering naming YOUR OWN BOY [name]Pearl[/name]! Then I was going to attempt to tactfully dissuade you :wink: . I personally like a few of the less “masculine-sounding” boys names, such as: [name]CARY[/name], [name]SHEA[/name], [name]SHIA[/name]. I also think people should feel free to name their children whatever they want, but I just couldn’t wrap my head around [name]Pearl[/name] for a boy (love it for a girl, though).

Another couple names that were, I believe, used EXCLUSIVELY for MALES until the 20th century are: [name]EVELYN[/name] AND [name]VIVIAN[/name].

I hadn’t heard [name]Pearl[/name] used to be a boy’s name and I’m always forgetting [name]Vivian[/name] was.

My great-grandpa was legally named Perly (not positive on the spelling) but went by [name]Percy[/name] his whole life. I’ve heard he was a pretty tough guy… wonder if it had to do with school-yard teasing as a child? :slight_smile:

It doesn’t surprise me. Okay maybe it does :slight_smile: [name]Ashley[/name] & [name]Blair[/name] were once just boys names. My sister [name]Ashley[/name] was going to be named [name]Blair[/name] had she been a boy. I’m glad she’s a girl :wink:

I think its much too far gone to the girls to ever be a boys name again.

[name]Don[/name]'t forget [name]Lauren[/name]/[name]Loren[/name]!

Also, in the top 10 for GIRLS in [name]Canada[/name] this year is [name]Laurence[/name]. Funny huh?

I would love to share with you ladies the fact that name like [name]Evelyn[/name] is a male one in countries like Bulgaria.I don’t personally think people there are aware of the fact that this name is used for girls in the English-speaking world. :}

Must have been a typo!