Penelope: Popularity and Poppy vs. Penny

We love the name [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. It is one of the ONLY names that my husband is okay with - which makes it a big deal since he’s been saying “no” to basically everything!

Personally, we don’t know any little Penelopes (or big, for that matter), but maybe it’s just our part of the country. Is this name super popular, or just being talked about a lot more lately?

I also always figured we’d go with “[name_u]Penny[/name_u]” as a nickname if we chose [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], but my 2.5 year old says that he likes “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]”, which is also cute, and I’d love to make him feel involved with choosing the baby’s name. What do you think? I am not a fan of the [name_f]Nell[/name_f] / [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] nicknames for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f].

It’s gotten pretty high on the popularity charts, but I don’t personally know any, big or small (I am in the Midwest US). However, I don’t know a ton of little kids/babies so that might be part of the reason. I love both [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and [name_u]Penny[/name_u]!

I don’t know any. And the nickname [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is adorable!

I know two little Penelopes, one 2yo and one 5yo. I’m in Vancouver however. If you already have a 2.5yo you will probably be hearing the names out and about so you know best for your circle and your neighborhood. From the SSA list, it looks to have jumped quite significantly in the last two years (to #42 in 2014.)

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. It’s so versatile with all the nickname possibilities, plus it ages so well. [name_u]Penny[/name_u] is my favourite, but [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is sweet. See this great list: Penelope Nicknames: Eight Unexpected Choices - Appellation Mountain

[name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Posey[/name_f], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] are super cool too!

I don’t know anyone named [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. I don’t think it’s overly popular.
I prefer [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] over [name_u]Penny[/name_u].

I love [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. It’s feminine but overly girly, it has charm and some spunk!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Penny[/name_u] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] but I don’t like the long version just what you plan on calling her!! That’s what I did with my kids [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_u]Max[/name_u] no long version!! [name_u]Penny[/name_u] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is a great standalone name but if you are planning on calling her [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] too than definitely use long version!! If I had to pick I think I would do [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] I just adore that name!!!

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is a nice name, I think it is getting somewhat popular, but I don’t personally know any little ones named this. If I’ve heard it so far it’s only been as a middle name. [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is cute for a nickname, I also like [name_f]Nell[/name_f] and [name_f]Lola[/name_f] as others.

A friend just had a daughter [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and goes by [name_u]Penny[/name_u]. They live in the Chicago area.
I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] just the stand alone name of [name_u]Penny[/name_u], but [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is adorable, too.

I have a [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. It’s not overly popular around here (nj) but I did hear it the other day at the park. My husband vetoed “penny” immediately and we really loved poppy except that is what everyone in our family calls grandpa so it would have been confusing. We call her “P” or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] all of the time. My suggestion is if you plan on calling her poppy or something else besides penny get it out to the family early. My family keeps calling my daughter penny and I correct them constantly and they don’t listen.

Thanks for all the help! Very encouraging. I also love the suggestion of [name_f]Lola[/name_f] as a nickname! I have never heard that one for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] before, but it’s adorable.

I know one little [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and, as far as I know, that’s all she is called. I don’t know many small children, only those of my friends, so it’s hard for me to speak to popularity unless something is REALLY popular. As for nicknames, I prefer [name_u]Penny[/name_u] over [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], but just barely. I think they’re both adorable.

I like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] a lot! I prefer [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (although I also like [name_f]Pippi[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], and [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], probably in that order).

As for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]'s popularity, I know it is getting quite popular (around the top 50 now, I think?), and rising. I’ve met a handful of grown-women named [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and I’ve met one little girl (probably close to 9 or so now) whose name is [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], in passing. I love [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and keep going back and forth on what capacity I want to use her in on my list. I nearly committed to [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and then [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], but I’ve seriously considered her up front, too. I think she’s darling.