Penn-feedback on name and middle name suggestions

My husband and I recently found out we are pregnant with our fourth child. Our children are: [name]Porter[/name] [name]Ciaran[/name], [name]Talulla[/name] [name]Ailis[/name], and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Shea[/name] (double first name). We have names for girls ([name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Brigid[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Orla[/name] [name]Clare[/name]), but we are not yet set on our boys’ name.

I came up with the boys name [name]Penn[/name].

Back story: we met in [name]Washington[/name], DC and had our first date, proposal and wedding at locations near the White House, off Pennsylvania Avenue and bought our first house off [name]Penn[/name] too.

In addition, I would like to honor my brother and grandfather, both writers and [name]Penn[/name] is an occupational name.

My husband’s father and grandfather, for whom he is named after, went to the University of Pennsylvania aka [name]Penn[/name] and this is a good alternate for the IV they so badly wanted both my sons to carry on (I am not a fan of same names).

First off, do you like [name]Penn[/name]? What do you think it with my sibset of [name]Porter[/name], [name]Talulla[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Shea[/name]?
What middle names do you think go best with it?

Some of my suggestions:
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Liam[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Jameson[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] Maitais
[name]Penn[/name] McBride
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Mathias[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you like any of these or have any suggestions?

I love [name]Penn[/name]! I really like [name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Penn[/name] [name]Seamus[/name] from your combos. As a writer and a Pennsylvanian, I really like the idea of [name]Penn[/name] personally, but I love it even more for your family, where it is so significant! I think it’d be a great choice.

Good luck!

I don’t love the name [name]Penn[/name] but I love how much it clearly means to you and I can see it working in your family definitely.

[name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] is definitely my favourite, but [name]Penn[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Penn[/name] [name]Sullivan[/name] keep coming to me too.

[name]Penn[/name] [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Isaiah[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]William[/name] or [name]Penn[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] would also be great if you like those?

Thanks–[name]Theodore[/name] would be a great choice as my grandmother is [name]Dorothy[/name]. My brother loves the name [name]Sebastian[/name]. With regard to surnames, I try only to use names in our family. We have two Olivers, a [name]Liam[/name] and a [name]William[/name]. I like [name]Gabriel[/name], but my husband’s brother is [name]Gabe[/name].

Please keep the middle name suggestions coming! I would like to see middle names that are two or three syllables and either Gaelic Irish, Celtic, English, French or [name]German[/name].

Also, do you think [name]Penn[/name] goes with our sibset of [name]Porter[/name], [name]Talulla[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Shea[/name]?

I think [name]Penn[/name] works great; love the name. [name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Penn[/name] McBride are two of my favorites from your list.

I really like [name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]! Wonderful how it has so much meaning to you!
Suggestions :

[name]Penn[/name] Coinneach
[name]Penn[/name] Adler *
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Alasdair[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] Coridan
[name]Pen[/name] [name]Sullivan[/name] *

I like [name]Penn[/name] [name]Alasdair[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Penn[/name] McBride, [name]Penn[/name] [name]Seamus[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Jameson[/name] and [name]Penn[/name] [name]Francis[/name].
My husband likes [name]Penn[/name] [name]Augustus[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Mathias[/name]/[name]Matthias[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Milo[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Brendan[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Francis[/name]. Any other suggestions for middle names that go with our sibset of [name]Porter[/name] [name]Ciaran[/name], [name]Talulla[/name] [name]Ailis[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Shea[/name]? FYI, [name]Mary[/name] [name]Shea[/name] is a double first name. Thanks!
We tend to like traditional, strong names, bonus if it has significance for place or religious (Biblical, saint) and isn’t overused or a filler.

I too love the meaning for you and yes it works. Another surname with P like [name]Porter[/name], but since there are 4 kids and the girls’ names are more varied this isn’t over-doing it. [name]Mary[/name] [name]Shea[/name] and [name]Talullah[/name] both have their own thing going on - [name]Mary[/name] [name]Shea[/name] much more classic but with an unexpected second barrel and [name]Talullah[/name] much more straightforwardly fun, but both have notes of vintage and Irish overtones. I really like [name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]. [name]Penn[/name] [name]Laurence[/name] and [name]Penn[/name] [name]Finnian[/name] come to mind for saints’ names. ([name]Penn[/name] [name]Finnian[/name] is a LOT of n, but to me it’s almost like it’s so much that it works).

[name]Penn[/name] goes great with your sibset! I think it’s a great name.

I like [name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name].
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Sullivan[/name] also comes to mind for me.
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Finley[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Avery[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Jameson[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] [name]Callum[/name] / [name]Callen[/name]

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Penn[/name] [name]Finnian[/name], especially since it is a saint’s name. If [name]Finn[/name]/[name]Finnian[/name] weren’t so popular, [name]Penn[/name] would probably be [name]Finn[/name]! [name]Porter[/name] is actually named for the place (a bar) we met. Ha, ha, ha. I also love [name]Penn[/name] [name]Callum[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Jameson[/name] and [name]Penn[/name] [name]Avery[/name]. What do you think about [name]Penn[/name] [name]Colm[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Columba[/name], [name]Penn[/name] [name]Brendan[/name] (too hard to say?), [name]Penn[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] or [name]Penn[/name] [name]Milo[/name]? My dad’s initials are MP so I’d like the reverse, if that isn’t too much. Any other M names? The only ones I really like are overused or don’t go.

[name]Do[/name] people dislike [name]Penn[/name] [name]Matthias[/name]?

I am leaning toward [name]Penn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name], as [name]Dorothy[/name] is my only living grandmother’s name.

Any other suggestions? My name is a very traditional Irish name ([name]Brigid[/name]) and my husband has too unique of a name to use online. Our middle names are family names.

Family names for middle names that we have considered:
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]James[/name]/[name]Jameson[/name]/[name]Seamus[/name] (I am not a fan of the initials PJ or common names unless there is a non-traditional twist)
[name]Alexander[/name], [name]Alastair[/name], [name]Alasdair[/name]
[name]Padraig[/name] (PP initials might cause teasing)
derivatives of [name]Michael[/name]
derivatives of [name]Matthew[/name]–I like the Irish Gaelic Mattais but think it may be too much
[name]John[/name]/[name]Sean[/name]–almost all my great-grandfathers are Johns; I’m not a huge fan of [name]Sean[/name]
[name]Francis[/name]–love St. [name]Francis[/name] and it was my grandfather’s name
[name]Cornelius[/name]
[name]Augustus[/name]
[name]Thompson[/name] (family name)
Reidy (family name)
McBride (grandfather’s name and I believe means “son of a follower of [name]Brigid[/name]”; I am named for St. [name]Brigid[/name])
[name]Cillian[/name]/[name]Killian[/name] (My husband thinks it is too matchy with [name]Porter[/name] [name]Ciaran[/name])

I really like the personal meaning in [name]Penn[/name] for you. I am not in love with the name [name]Penn[/name], but don’t find it too out here either. It sounds like you are well on your way to choosing this name and it seems a great fit for your family. If you have any lingering uncertianty about [name]Penn[/name] as a first name however, you could consider Quil. There is an NPR foriegn correspondent named Quil (actually whole name: [name]David[/name] [name]Aquila[/name] (“Quil”) [name]Lawrence[/name] ) and I love this name every time I hear it.

[name]Pen[/name] is GREAT! I really love [name]Penn[/name] [name]Seamus[/name]!

[name]Penn[/name] [name]Jameson[/name] gets my vote!!! [name]Love[/name] the story behind it!!! Wish I could come up with something significant like that as I’m truly stuck on coming up with a name for our son!!! :slight_smile:

I love it especially because of the meaning to you and your family. My husband and several family members on both sides graduated from [name]Penn[/name] State (awful how their alma mater has been slammed because if a few perverted indivuduals…) so naturally I think of that before a writing tool or anything else. Actually, I am almost pisitive I saw this name as a monogram in the Pottery [name]Barn[/name] Kids catalog recently in a Darth Vader backpack (because I love seeing the names the choose, and my 3 1/2 year old likes to point out the character etc while I look…it may have been Batman, not sure, but I remember thinking [name]Penn[/name] was not a usual PBK name but I do like it) fwiw.

Anyways, [name]Penn[/name] [name]Seamus[/name] gets my vote!