Penn Marks, etc.

So yesterday I overheard a few girls talking. One of them knew someone who just named her baby [name]Penn[/name] Marks! Hahaha, they were going on and on about how awful that name is! Like, how can he parents have not gotten the whole “pen marks”, thing. I thought you guys would like that!

Also yesterday, I went to a restaurant and there was there were two middle aged ladies, with a young man and a baby girl. They were very friendly and asked all about [name]Dash[/name]. They asked his name and i said “His name’s [name]Dashiell[/name] and we call him [name]Dash[/name]”, well! The man, who I assume was the baby’s father seemed like he thought it was awesome. But the one woman did NOT stop asking questions about it! Where did you come up with that? Is it a real name? Etc. Etc. I told her that i did not make it up, i read it in a name book and my husband loves it because of The Incredibles and “have you heard of [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Hammett[/name]?” she was sooooo confused. She said she would just call him [name]Dash[/name]! I asked what their baby’s name was… Can you guess? [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. Haha! It’s undeniably a beautiful name, of course! But can you imagine how that lady would have reacted if they’d named her something like [name]Sophronia[/name] instead of [name]Sophia[/name], haha.

My favorite question is “[name]How[/name] did you come up with that?” Hello, it was the title of an entire chapter of Cool Names for Babies. Sheesh! It’s not like I made it up. I didn’t “come up with it”… I read it and I heard it. I mean, how am I supposed to answer that question.

I must admit, the “pen marks” thing is pretty funny!

My great-grandmother was called [name]Mary[/name] Airey [air-EE]. When my grandmother told me this, I must admit, I had to hold back the laughter. I don’t think that her parents actually thought their name chose through. A name like that would certainly mean she would have been teased nowadays!

• [name]Samantha[/name]

This one is a little stretched but I had an [name]Emma[/name] Blob in my extended family and when I went to her wedding, part of her vows were “I, [name]Emma[/name] Blob.” I am a blob!

My family is full of horrible namers. My cousin is a [name]Kristoffer[/name], he married a [name]Christina[/name] and they [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Christian[/name] for their babe! I had a good laugh with my mom about this and made up a bunch of scenarios where everyone in the family had the theme. My mom is [name]Amy[/name], married an [name]Ambrose[/name], had an Ames and [name]Amelia[/name]. I am [name]Alexandra[/name], married an [name]Alexei[/name], had an [name]Alexia[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], and [name]Alexis[/name]. [name]Lauretta[/name] would marry a [name]Lawrence[/name], have a [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Loren[/name] and [name]Laura[/name]. Etc, etc.

People thought I made up the [name]Harry[/name] nickname for [name]Henry[/name]. Honestly? Come on.