Pet Peeves-Nicknames!

So one of my pet peeves with baby naming is nicknames! I can’t stand when someone is more concerned about nickname potential when naming a baby. [name_u]Will[/name_u] never understand the-we are naming our baby this (long name) but we’ll be calling them ( ) instead. [name_m]Just[/name_m] name the baby what you’re going to call them already! :sweat_smile:

Anyone else?

I think people need to make sure that the name they like doesn’t have an obvious/intuitive nickname that they actively dislike. For example, don’t stick with the name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] if you can’t stand [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]. But, outside of that, I don’t get why people are so hung up over nicknames.

A particular peeve of mine is ‘stretch’ nicknames because, no, you can’t get [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] out of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. It makes no sense, stop trying to make it happen! And if you like [name_f]Lola[/name_f] then just use it because using it as a nickname for [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is just… why?!

Honestly, I think people are way too into nicknames, and it’s mostly just going to be a waste of time because once you have a child a nickname will form naturally. I speak from personal experience having named my son something fancy (like Florian), only to end up calling him ‘nugget’ 80% of the time.

2 Likes

i completely understand for those times when it seems parents love the nickname more than the full name that would be on the birth certificate, but for me i think names with lots of nickname potential helps a child develop their own identity, where the name can mould to fit the person.

though i do love nickname names, i think it really adds more depth and sentimental value to a name when someone can be, for example, elizabeth in formal events but betsy to close friends and eliza to a partner. names don’t need to have this restriction that simply giving a nickname name sometimes brings - and that’s what i love most !

10 Likes

as a big fan of nickname-names, sometimes the reason i pick the nickname over the full name is as simple as that i just don’t like the full name. :woman_shrugging:

i don’t think stretch names are bad either. if someone wants to name their child florence ‘lola’, go ahead (it actually kind of makes sense to me :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

[name_f]Lola[/name_f] as nn for [name_u]Florence[/name_u] makes absolute sense to me. Now how did we get [name_m]Dick[/name_m] from [name_m]Richard[/name_m], that’s the conversation we need to be having.

I think that nicknames form naturally and your kid is gonna want to be called whatever they want and you’re gonna call them whatever is on your heart in that moment.

I personally like stretch nicknames, I think it’s cool seeing how people remix their own name to something short and cool or expressive in a different way, or even getting the background on a random nickname. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandma was called [name_m]Newt[/name_m] by her cousins because she looked like their grandpa [name_m]Newton[/name_m] :woman_shrugging:

I don’t think the nickname potential should hold you back from a name though, unless it is particularly icky.

2 Likes

YES!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap: Right up there for me on tryig to do stretch honors in a name.

For me with nicknames, hubby and I both have common names and were pretty much raised with a default nickname. He still naturally goes by his. My name is too common and what’s more common is the nickname. So when naming our kids we brainstormed what possible nicknames they might be defaulted to…. Although 2 out of 3 so far mainly go by their full name.

2 Likes

I don’t like when people name their child one thing but call them exclusively by a nickname. If you don’t like the name enough to ever use it, then don’t give it to them. I also think people try to control nicknames too much. Your child is their own person. Yes, you choose their legal name because they obviously can’t, but when they’re old enough to have preferences you should not ever stop them from being called something just because you don’t like it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] before they’re old enough, I don’t think it’s fair to try to stop people from using a nickname that you don’t like. For example, we don’t particularly like Gid or Giddy for our son [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], but his aunt always calls him Giddy and we have a close friend who calls him The Gid. I would never stop them because I think it helps form a special bond and relationship between just him and that person. I wouldn’t use that nickname, but I don’t believe it’s my place to tell someone else not to. Yes he’s my child, but I’m not the only person who he will have a relationship with throughout his life, and I do not have complete control over him or those other relationships. As he gets older if he expresses he doesn’t want to be called by those nicknames anymore then I would help him navigate setting those boundaries, but until then, I’m all for people calling him whatever they like! Anyway, went on a bit of a tangent there, but my point is it bugs me when people on here post like “I’m naming my daughter [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but she’s only allowed to be called Betty.” [name_m]Just[/name_m] name her [name_f]Betty[/name_f] then, or get used to the idea that you can’t (and shouldn’t even if you could!) stop people from calling her [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], etc.

I really like names with nicknames but I also don’t want to call the child by their nickname all the time, but I do want to be able to sometimes

2 Likes

I used to feel the exact same way, but I’ve become more lenient now. In most cases I still think it makes way more sense to put a name you’ll actually use on the birth certificate. And it seems I’m open to a wider range of nicknames as full names, potentially because they’re quite common where I live.

However, I definitely don’t mind nicknames arising organically over time, and I love coming up with nickname options! It’s like getting even more great names from one choice! Okay, it might be a stretch or never happen, but I find it fun. [name_f]My[/name_f] mum’s a big nicknamer, and I realised I’m the same haha. She still uses my full name a lot, but also plenty of nns and pet names. [name_f]Imo[/name_f] it’s a nice balance, and a way of getting even more great names from a full name you love.

TL; DR- Organic nicknames and stretching some creativity coming up with them; yep! Putting a name on the bc you maybe don’t even like with the sole intention of never using it? In most cases, I don’t get it. But each to their own of course!

1 Like