Peter (and if we should worry about associated slang)

My husband and I both adore the name [name]Peter[/name]–especially with the nickname [name]Pete[/name]. But it seems like about 50% of the time that we mention this as a possible name to one of our friends or family members, we get a negative reaction: they tell us that we shouldn’t use it because the name is sometimes used as a slang word for male genitals. The other 50% of the time, people seem to really like the name and associate it only with [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name], [name]Pete[/name]'s Dragon, [name]Peter[/name] in the [name]Narnia[/name] books, [name]Peter[/name] and the [name]Wolf[/name], etc.

So here’s our question. Is the association between this name and man-parts really all that strong? Is this something we should actually be worried about, and is it a reason to avoid using the name? It seems to me like there are enough Peters in the world that the genital association is not the first thing that comes to mind for most people, but am I wrong here?

I love the name [name]Peter[/name] and I have NEVER heard of that. Of course, maybe this is something unique to your area? (I’m in NYC)

I have never heard of the man-parts association before.
I think [name]Peter[/name] is a nice name. Familiar but not too common

I have always loved the name [name]Peter[/name]. When deciding on my first son’s name, [name]Peter[/name] was one of my top three names (none of which I ended up being able to use. My sister used [name]David[/name] first and the other name was too rhymey with our surname.) When I suggested [name]Peter[/name], my husband said “no” for the reason you mentioned, but I had NEVER heard of such a thing. (We are in [name]California[/name].) I kind of doubted that this classic and historically well-liked name had that association. I mean, for the [name]Brady[/name] Bunch, why would they name the middle son [name]Peter[/name] if it really had that stigma? [name]Peter[/name] is a great name. I would investigate further to see how much of an issue this really is. I don’t personally know any Peters, so I can’t get first-hand information about it. Perhaps other posters can offer a more definitive answer. I am guessing that it’s an obscure issue. Since you both love the name - unless this proves to be a big deal – I say USE this wonderful name!

I really like [name]Peter[/name] and have never heard of the slang issue before.

Unfortunately, I have heard [name]Peter[/name] used in this manner, and it would probably keep me from using the name. However, I think that [name]Pete[/name] is free from this problem, and if you’ll be calling him [name]Pete[/name] most of the time, its probably a non-issue. Also, clearly not everyone has this connection with the name [name]Peter[/name].

If you love it, use it!

My husband is [name]Peter[/name] as is, coincidentally, my teenage nephew. I haven’t heard anyone use the name in a negative manner. What my sister loves about the name is there aren’t that many in his generation, but still a classic, easy to spell, pronounce, etc.

My son’s name is [name]Peter[/name]. My father thought that [name]Peter[/name] sounded like male genital parts. Most of the people in my family loved the name [name]Peter[/name]. I told my dad to get over it.
Lots of names sound like something odd if you think about it. [name]Katherine[/name] sounds like catheter, for example. [name]Regina[/name] sounds like feminine body parts.
I think that once you get past the junior high years, it’s time to just think of names as names, and not think about genitals or bathroom kind of stuff all the time, just some of the time when it’s appropriate. Otherwise you miss out on a lot in life.
[name]Peter[/name] is such a great name. [name]Love[/name] [name]Peter[/name] Pevensie! [name]Love[/name] [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name] and [name]Peter[/name] Rabbit! I have never heard my son say that kids teased him about his name. But when he was in middle school he went by the nickname [name]Pete[/name].

I have heard the [name]Peter[/name]-Penis thing before however i dont think its anything to worry about along the lines of teasing. Quite honestly its not the first thing anyone should think of, and if it is then i would ask them where there mind is all day. However i think its a handsome name, and i dont think peter pan will be a big connection as he grows up as not many new age children watch dinsey movies from back then anymore. I really like it and say go for it! And if anyone else has something negative to say then you should go, “Well its between [name]Peter[/name] and Anus” or something totallty outrageous, cause [name]Peter[/name] is a good name among many bad ones! Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I really love [name]Peter[/name], and I personally don’t think of “man parts” (thanks for the laugh) when I hear the name.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hello - my dads name is [name]Peter[/name] so i love the name and have never ever heard of the ‘mans parts’ association! I am in [name]England[/name] so maybe this hasn’t crossed the pond!? All i associate the name with (apart from my dad obviously!) is [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name] and [name]Peter[/name] Rabbit so its all good so far as i can see! :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Peter[/name]

i recently heard of this slang…i know like 5 [name]Peter[/name]'s and I don’t think any of them had any problems with this
i mean if john can still be around even when associated with a toilet i think peter can to.
there is a lot of names with unpleasent meaning and they are still popular ex. amelia, alexia, viola

I have heard it is a slang term but my first thought has always been [name]Peter[/name] Rabbit- the cute bunny from [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name]

[name]Peter[/name]'s a classic name and the unfortunate slang association is minor at best (it’d be like not naming a son [name]John[/name] because of it’s association with men who visit prostitutes). The good definitely outweighs the bad - and once people meet [name]Peter[/name], that association won’t even cross their minds.

I love [name]Peter[/name] because it’s Biblical, unique, different and strong:) I’m using it too and I’m not worried by a little immaturity. That should definatly not be the reason you say no. GL!

[name]Peter[/name] is such a classic that it’s like saying [name]John[/name] means man who picks up hookers. I mean…a [name]John[/name] IS called that…but who makes the association? lol Or [name]John[/name]=toilet…? You know what I mean?

Yeah, and what about [name]Jack[/name]? Some people think that [name]Jack[/name] is a bad word. But [name]Jack[/name] is a great name. I just love it. They should make pills that help people to grow up.

[name]Peter[/name] is just too wonderful, and frankly, too well-used the world over to be held back by male juvenile humor. I think it’ll be a rare person who thinks of something, er, improper when they’re first introduced to your son. And the poor sap that does will probably keep their mouth shut and get over it.

I say go for it!

My last name is [name]Johnson[/name] which is also slang for the same body part. It has never come up as an issue for me.