Philip/Phillip?

Never considered it before, I guess I felt it was too “boring” or common but I’ve only ever met one and it has fallen drastically in popularity in the US so it’s rather underused. I do like the sound of it, I like the Idea of Lip, Pip/Pippin, & [name_m]Philly[/name_m] for nicknames. The [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] I know is with the two Ls and our surname features a double letter in the center as well so I feel like that spelling would be more balanced but I did google it with our surname and either spelling brings up a well known painter (gotta love built in internet anonymity) who spells it with one L. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I have dual feelings about Philip/Phillip! On the one hand there’s dusty, problematic [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] of the [name_f]British[/name_f] royal family, and on the other I think the name on a baby/child with nn Pip/Pippin, as you say, would be absolutely adorable!

It’s very difficult to put together a name that doesn’t bring up someone when you Google it. I wouldn’t worry about that too much, especially if your last name is not incredibly rare and/or the painter is not a bad association.

As for one L or two, I have a slight preference for the two Ls and if that’s your favourite I’d go for it (especially as this makes it different to the painter as a bonus). I think with one L or two, you and he might be destined to say “Philip with one L/two Ls,” but perhaps I’m more spelling-confused than most with this name! Let’s see what your other replies will say.

Phillip looks more complete to me - and the way I naturally spell it - plus symmetry with you surname and slightly different from the paint!

I’ve met a couple of old Phillips (most who’ve gone by Phil) but I think only one little Phillip. Pip is lovely!

[name_m]Philip[/name_m] / [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] is a very underused name nowadays. A wonderful classic and a very charming choice. [name_m]Pip[/name_m] is a interesting nickname! I like both spellings. Both options are well established. [name_m]Philip[/name_m] / Phillip’s meaning is also great, in my opinion!

1 Like

Really like [name_m]Philip[/name_m]! There is a television show out there on the ministry of [name_m]Christ[/name_m] and His followers, and how they portray [name_m]Philip[/name_m] the apostle has made me appreciate the name more. Pip/Pippin is adorable! I considered [name_f]Eden[/name_f] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] [name_m]Grey[/name_m] recently; I’m not sure I’m ready to use [name_m]Philip[/name_m] as a first name but I would love to see him used on a baby boy. I do prefer the 1 L immensely, but both spellings do have a long history of use. [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] with two Ls reminds me more of the surname - I feel like I see [name_m]Philip[/name_m] as the FN more often but [name_m]Phillips[/name_m] as the surname (over Philips)? But that’s just sort of a guess, really.

Good luck!

I love [name_m]Philip[/name_m], especially as a middle name. I think it makes the combo automatically so elegant and handsome. I associate [name_m]Philip[/name_m] with a Swedish prince [name_m]Carl[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] :blush: